Splash Guards worth it?

I added them after my first winter last year and they do noticeably stop muck from splashing up the side. So yes, they are worth it in my opinion.

The other question is, either to go for OEM or aftermarket. I went with OEM, easy install and perfect fit. There are many on here who went with Chinese aftermarket splash guards with mixed results. From my memory, some complained the holes did not line up and that even when properly installed, they were loose. Others had no problems with their aftermarket ones.

I always get splash/mud guards on my cars that prevent the damage that occur in the area behind the tires. Look around the cars in parking lots without these and notice the paint chips near the front door sills and on the bottom of the painted area near the rear bumper behind the rear tire. You will then appreciate the item.

On every other vehicle I've owned, there were guards installed. But on the CX5, I have not and after a year of driving, there are no chips and marks from tires throwing debris.
Keep in mind, we have a Touring model, so the tires on the GT may stick out more?
The splash on the front never touches the paint. It hits the underside of the plastic moulding along the bottom of the door. On the rear wheel, the splash hits the black bumper moulding so again does not touch the paint.

For the most part, even on my GT before splash guards, the dirt would mainly hit the plastic moulding...but why even have this, if you enjoy having a clean car as much as you can? That is another reason I installed them.

They do create more drag and reduce fuel economy to some point of which I cant say.

Mazda CX-5 Splash Guards / Mud Flaps Pros and Cons

I thought a lot about this and made this pro and cons table. In all cases, looks is subjective and personal, this is from my research and observations to date.

The level of protection is a risk to take in terms of rock chips causing paint damage (that could be further mitigated using a paint protection film). If it is just dirt then it is a matter of time (or $) to clean the vehicle.

OptionProsConsAdded Protection
No splash / mud guards
  • No spending $ or time to buy and install
  • No added protection
None
Mazda OEM Splash Guards (Front: 0000-8H-R10, Rear: KD33-V3-460)
  • OEM
  • May be more solid due to shape (not just flaps)
  • Some added protection from splashing dirt / debris from own wheels into rockers
  • Generally smaller than aftermarket ones and less added protection
  • Front splash guards are much smaller and offers little added protection
  • Generally more costly than aftermarket ones
Some
Aftermarket Mud Flaps (like Rokblokz or Rally Armor or unbranded)
  • More added protection from splashing dirt / debris from own wheels into rockers
  • Generally less costly
  • More customizable (choices)
  • In snowy areas, larger mud flaps may get caught in snow (e.g.: backing off), one anecdotal report of ripping off the attached part...
  • In very cold areas, they may crack or break
  • Fit may vary
More

Comments welcomed!

Last edited:
I had front and rear mud/splash guards incorporated into the deal when I bought the vehicle. I firmly believe they help prevent rust along the undercarriage around the wheel wells.

Bon

I had front and rear mud/splash guards incorporated into the deal when I bought the vehicle. I firmly believe they help prevent rust along the undercarriage around the wheel wells.
Nice! If $ is taken out of the equation, there are no real negatives to the OEM splash guards!

I wish someone post youtube video how to install rear ones.
I have some pictures to show the installation on rear splash guards:

These cuts for small screw holes were not biggies.
Rear%252520Splash%252520Guards_DSC06201.jpg

This square cut on plastic wheel liner is necessary to accommodate the bottom clip nut of the three. It's also in the instruction and there is a marked line on the plastic wheel liner to guide the proper cut. I had seen some people said he didn't do this cut but I felt this is for bottom screw and it's needed to hold the rear splash guard properly. I might also skip the cut if it's for middle screw.
Rear%252520Splash%252520Guards_DSC06206.jpg
Rear%252520Splash%252520Guards_DSC06205.jpg
Rear%252520Splash%252520Guards_DSC06207.jpg

The front splash guards look very tiny.
Front%252520Splash%252520Guards__DSC06193.jpg

The rear splash guards bowing out too much as you can see from here. They definitely will "catch" a lot of air and look awkward to me too.
Rear%252520Splash%252520Guards_DSC06213.jpg

The OEM splash guards do noticeably stop muck from splashing up the sides, especially the rear ones.

I thought a lot about this and made this pro and cons table. In all cases, looks is subjective and personal, this is from my research and observations to date.

The level of protection is a risk to take in terms of rock chips causing paint damage (that could be further mitigated using a paint protection film). If it is just dirt then it is a matter of time (or $) to clean the vehicle.

OptionProsConsAdded Protection
No splash / mud guards
  • No spending $ or time to buy and install
  • No added protection
None
Mazda OEM Splash Guards (Front: 0000-8H-R10, Rear: KD33-V3-460)
  • OEM
  • May be more solid due to shape (not just flaps)
  • Some added protection from splashing dirt / debris from own wheels into rockers
  • Generally smaller than aftermarket ones and less added protection
  • Front splash guards are much smaller and offers little added protection
  • Generally more costly than aftermarket ones
Some
Aftermarket Mud Flaps (like Rokblokz or Rally Armor or unbranded)
  • More added protection from splashing dirt / debris from own wheels into rockers
  • Generally less costly
  • More customizable (choices)
  • In snowy areas, larger mud flaps may get caught in snow (e.g.: backing off), one anecdotal report of ripping off the attached part...
  • In very cold areas, they may crack or break
  • Fit may vary
More

Comments welcomed!
Thanks for the comparison table. I believe the OEM splash guards have better fit and plastic quality than after-market ones. There is no needs to take off tires. Drilling and special tools are not needed. The drawbacks on OEM's are it's a bit tiny on front ones; and cutting on wheel liners and bowing out too much which looks awkward on rear ones.

Back