Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

Took a red Touring out for a test drive today. I was the first customer to do a test drive in one of the new CX9's at my dealership. There was alot i dug. Power does seem a little less then with the existing 3.7. But still more then enough to pass, or get into trouble with. New one felt much more nimble, and lost alot of the large clunkiness the last gen currently has.

I am interested in hearing more about the steering. Motoman TV seems more concerned about the steering than the engine response and so am I. Steering is one of the best assets of my Fit, whereas in my wife's 6 (2013) I find the steering so boosted I have trouble holding a line at highway speeds going straight and especially on a sweeping onramp or offramp - makes long trips fatiguing as I am always working to make corrections unless I keep both hands on the wheel at all times.

So far, so good, I traded my 2013 CX9 GT in for the new one. The 4Cyl Turbo has much better pick-up than the old one, might be also a weight factor. Love the projection to the windshield...

Will be taking the car on a trip to Orlando this WE, we'll see how it runs....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visited a dealer today, I am not yet sold. Still need to drive it

Visited a dealer here in S.Florida today, my salesman of preference was not available, So I did not had the test drive.

They did had sport and touring on the floor, not the GT or Signature. It looks good in general. BUT...
  • The long front seems to be a waste of space, I wish it was shorter to favor more cabin space
  • The trunk with 3rd row in use seems smaller than expected, WIll visit back with my 21" luggage to compare
  • I have ups and downs with the 3rd row
    • The third row access is similar to my current GT, but the head room
    • the arm rest are better and with large cup holders
    • the leg space although shorter, is apropriate
    • the head room, is worst; I am not tall, just around 5'9" and on upward sitting position my head permanently touch the cealing
  • 2nd row seats may be higher, or the floor was lowered, I don't think is the latest, because the headroom on he third row, as mentioned before, is smaller
  • Unless I read it wrongly, it weights 500pounds more on the back than in the front
  • The main 8"monitor... I am not sure about linking it. Why shape it and position like that, if cannot be hidden? is weird
  • The center console is very 2/3rds or less than my current GT
  • Although the center console seems wider, the right foot post leg and feed seems comfortable, almost natural
  • in the trunk, I did not fond a subwoofer, so the bin have more space than in my current GT

I will go back to the dealer once they confirm they have Signature or GT to test. I am still hopeful I can become convinced of it. So far, I am inclined to keep my 2011 CX9 GT until next revision or until Highlander Gen6

Last edited:
Will be taking the car on a trip to Orlando this WE, we'll see how it runs....

Martin, can you report on something specific
The CX-9 suffer a "feature" that make the left side mirror shake significantly more than the right when on Highway above 55/60MPH to the point that the image was a bit blurry. Is this new model suffering with the same "feature"?
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123687396-Vibrating-driver-side-mirror/page4

Last edited:
Martin, can you report on something specific
The CX-9 suffer a "feature" that make the left side mirror shake significantly more than the right when on Highway above 55/60MPH to the point that the image was a bit blurry. Is this new model suffering with the same "feature"?
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123687396-Vibrating-driver-side-mirror/page4

This may be true for many but I haven't experienced it, and this is my 4th CX9. Bought the first one in 07 at Military Sales in Germany. It was a GT with AWD, loved the handling on the Autobahn going 120mph. I replaced the mirror glas with the Canadian version that was curved to see the blind spot. Never had issues with the mirrors. Traded that one for a 2012, then 11 mo later for the 2013.

This may be true for many but I haven't experienced it, and this is my 4th CX9. Bought the first one in 07 at Military Sales in Germany. It was a GT with AWD, loved the handling on the Autobahn going 120mph. I replaced the mirror glas with the Canadian version that was curved to see the blind spot. Never had issues with the mirrors. Traded that one for a 2012, then 11 mo later for the 2013.

Same here. No issue with mirrors on my CX-9 which is more than 2yo now.

Same here. No issue with mirrors on my CX-9 which is more than 2yo now.

I think the vibrating mirror issue was only on the CX-5 models. I'm on my 3rd CX-9 and had never had this problem. My daughter's CX-5, on the other hand, had to go back to the dealer to fix the vibrating side mirrors and hood. Both items had to be modified to keep them from vibrating. I hope the new CX-9 will not be as "flimsily" built as the CX-5. Got rid of the CX-5 after 6 months for a VW Tiguan, which is built a lot more solidly and more fun to drive plus it has Apple carplay and Android car.

As I'm typing this reply, my dealer just informed me that my 2016 CX-9 GT just arrived at the dealership. I guess I'll be playing hooky from work this afternoon. :)

The local dealer has 1 touring in stock. Looked pretty nice in person, but didn't get a chance to see the inside because no salesmen were around.

They also marked it up $3000 over sticker so I may be playing a waiting game...

Hard to tell. Someone's going to have to get in one of these with a tape measure. If they've actually lowered the floor to give more legroom, then I'm fine with the transmission tunnel intruding as it does in this new car. We'll see once we can see the cars compared but to me the distance from the seat to the floor doesn't appear to me much different than the outgoing car (or other cars in the class). At least not that much different to explain the tunnel. It's telling that the Mazda rep was ready to explain this (even though the reviewer got it backwards). They must be a little self-conscious about it.
OK, I have both my 13' GT and 16' in my garage and took some measurements. It seems the Mazda guy was pretty accurate in his assessment of the lowered floor. The 16' rear seat is almost 5" taller than the 13' rear seat. The section where the hump is, the 16' actually a little taller than the 13' middle seat section. See attached pics with a tape measure.

Attachments

• 13 rear seat middle.jpg
    13 rear seat middle.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 210
  • 13 rear seat outside.jpg
    13 rear seat outside.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 16 rear seat middle.jpg
    16 rear seat middle.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 16 rear seat outside.jpg
    16 rear seat outside.jpg