Speedometer Leaking Oil?

fxpthl

Now here is something I just noticed on the speedo. in my 97 M Edition Miata. There seems to be a very slight bit of oil around the base of the face, say about from 4 o'clock to 8 o'clock (if it were a clock face). Not lots of it but a light sheen. I know that this instrument has a cable that goes into the transmission area and is gear driven, so could the cable lube actual make its' way out of the cable and onto the face? If it is oil, is this something I should run right out and get repaired or simply keep an eye on it for awhile?(boom01)

Last edited:
Well now I'm really concerned! 65 of you have viewed my last posting but NO replys at all. This must be a really unusal issue indeed!

Last edited:
Read a lot of posts in the years but this is the first time I've ever heard anyone state this anomaly! :confused:

That's new to me too. One good thing is that the speedo cable is completely isolated from the oil feed at the transmission and it's impossible for transmission oil to make it up to the cluster. The only thing that comes to mind is that it's possibly a bit of seepage from the needle's bearing in the cluster.

Never ever heard of this! Let us know if you figure it out. I'm curious.

Back