Sound Dampeners on CX5

V8toilet

:
2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport
I've searched but haven't been able to find info specifically for the CX5. Just want to know if anyone has installed sound dampers like Dynomat or Second skin on their CX5 and were they effective at reducing road noise at 70 MPH. It seems that the front of the car already has pretty good sound dampers installed by Mazda. I'm thinking installing some in the doors, under the rear seat, and some in the rear hatch area might help but I would like to hear from anyone who may have already done this. I'd also like to increase the effectiveness of the speakers if possible.

Thanks

Last edited:
I've installed a rubberized carpet covering entire spare wheel area. This thing cost $5 at Menards and installed in 10 minutes.

It does reduce the noise as well as small bump noise from rear cargo area. The whole thing weights about 3 pounds and I consider it a worthwhile upgrade. I've had it for ~20K miles.

I've been looking into getting a more 'pro' solution but already mentioned one works well and it can be removed in 5 minutes.

I've installed a rubberized carpet covering entire spare wheel area. This thing cost $5 at Menards and installed in 10 minutes.

It does reduce the noise as well as small bump noise from rear cargo area. The whole thing weights about 3 pounds and I consider it a worthwhile upgrade. I've had it for ~20K miles.

I've been looking into getting a more 'pro' solution but already mentioned one works well and it can be removed in 5 minutes.

Would like some pics too.

Just tested a few samples from GTMAT, which were 50 mill, 80 mill, 110 mill, and their new butyl onyx. I covered some metal Simpson clips with 40% of each sample and then hit them with a hammer to see which one was more effective. The GTMAT Onyx butyl and 110 mill asphalt based material were very close with maybe the onyx having a slight advantage.

I them tested Second Skin Damplifier and Damplifier Pro butyl products covering the same clips with 40% of their product. The results were amazing, where the GTMAT onyx still had a slight ring the Damplifier completely stopped any ringing and was more of a thud sound. The original Damplifier is significantly more effective then the GTMAT onyx. The difference between the original Damplifier and Pro is hardly anything at all. The Damplifier Pro only has a low frequency thud compared to the original. The original Damplifier is only 40-mills thick, the Damplifier Pro is 80 mills, and the GTMAT onyx is 70 mills thick, all are butyl based. Its amazing that the Second Skin Damplifier is almost half as thick as the GTMAT Onyx and yet it out performs it.

Second Skin claims that they have a higher quality butyl rubber with less fillers and a thicker aluminum constraining layer than their competition and after seeing and testing these samples I'm sold on their products. The original Damplifier comes in. 40 sq ft pack and is $3.4 per a sq ft. The GTMAT Onyx comes in a 36 sq ft pack and is $3.3 per sq ft. It's clear to me now that Second skin sells the best product for the money and if you're going to go through the trouble of taking interior parts of your car apart than it only makes sense to buy Second Skin Damplifier original.

Back