some questions I need answers to. Thanks

BB33

Hey Everyone,

I have a few questions: I have a 2014 GT CX5, are the wheels clear coated or non coated aluminum?

Next, As for the auto on night lights setting, when I switch it to auto, will all the lights come on when it senses its dark out? I just dont want to go under and underpass for like 2 secondshave them turn on and turn off real quick. Do they only turn on when its real dark out? Is it recommended to leave it on the auto setting?

The xzenon headlights only work at night time driving right? I assume they work automatically?

Its normal at first start up for the engine to sound louder for the first minute and then get quieter correct?

Lastly, best brand of gas for this car? I have been using mobil and didnt know if there was another brand with better quality gas that you all use?

Brad33 here are the answers you're looking for in no particular order, no, yes, yes, yes, no, yes, no. Hope this helps and good luck to everyone else on the roads when you're out there.

I don't own a CX-5 (yet) but I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

I currently drive a Mazda 3 with autolights. The way it functions is different as opposed to other manufacturers - it takes about a good few seconds (haven't really counted, I would say 7 seconds?) before it actually turns on. So don't worry too much about the autolights. It's not going to start any fires. :) They turn on when it's DUSK, not when it's really dark. You're going to piss off a lot of people if that was the case. I just leave it on auto - set it and forget it.

What do you mean, Xenon headlights only work at night? Headlights work at any time of the day if and when you want. I don't understand your question.

All cars start up louder and progressively quiet down when they are COLD and have been sitting there for a couple hours.

Its normal at first start up for the engine to sound louder for the first minute and then get quieter correct?

That's a pretty universal phenomenon in autodom, particularly when it's cold.

Lastly, best brand of gas for this car? I have been using mobil and didnt know if there was another brand with better quality gas that you all use?

There are already multiple threads on topic of fuel in the forum, including posts/perspectives by people who work in the fuel refining and distribution industry. Short answer: You're best off buying your gas at busy high-throughput stations, the rest matters little by comparison.

First let me say that I also have a 2014 GT, with the tech package, just in case that makes a difference. I believe the wheels are non-painted, including no clear coat but I am not 100% sure you should ask the dealer. The auto lights have user-controllable settings. Go to the SETUP menu on the touch screen when you are not driving, and choose the Vehicle tab. There are like 6 levels of darkness to choose from when they come on. I have mine set to the darkest and it doesn't come on in parking garages or under bridges. Yes, the engine is louder upon starting as its warming up, then it will drop the idle rpm once the engine is ready.

Regarding gasoline, lets hope I don't start a flame war here as the new guy but let me give you my opinion: Gas is gas. What it can contain is highly regulated. You just have to meet the specifications required for the engine, which is 87 octane, and no more that 10% ethanol. Using higher octane gas will not give you any benefits, contrary to what some people say. What you DO need to watch out for is the ethanol content. Most places are 10% or less. However occasionally you may run across places that are 15% i.e. for the cars that are "flex fuel." DO NOT use that gasoline, as it could really damage the engine. You may find places that have LESS ethanol, i.e. 5% and this is actually better, but usually more expensive. In summary, just use 87 octane gasoline with 10% or less ethanol and you are fine.

I seriously do not understand what the point is to posting the same questions over and over and over. Can you imagine what it was like to be the sales person with that guy? Or maybe he is like that dude in Memento and he has no short term memory?

Back