Snow!

cccx9

:
CX-9 Touring
I don't think I'll try the duelers today.
IMG_1324_small.jpg

IMG_1322_small.jpg

Wow, looks like fun. I'm looking forward to testing out the Blizzaks in some of that when I go to the mountain. I'm putting them on today.

It is hard to tell because it is windy so lots of snow drifts. Forecast is for up to 25".

I shoveled half last night and half this morning. Sore now.

It isn't in the garage because we have 3 vehicles and I figured our front door was going to be blocked by the snow. So I left one garage spot open for getting in and out of the house. We've got a small garage w/ 2 doors so with 2 cars inside it is impossible to get in and out.

I am so glad we ditched the Duelers and now running with Toyo Proxes ST II. Works a like a champ yesterday from the 2 feet blizzard (cabpatch) I was only stuck once from the slush at the intersection. I manage to steer out of it within a minute. Overall, very happy and exciting driving experience yesterday. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 439
I was out in the heart of this storm on Saturday. I am amazed at how well my "lowered" cx-9 with the Duelers handled in this heavy snow. Whitey and cccx9 can attest to the amount of snow we had in the DC area. Never got stuck and the traction control did and excellent job of getting throught some pretty deep snow.

Was plowed into an NYC parking spot by the snowplow yesterday. Snow was very light so 2 minutes spent with my feet clearing a little off the top and the Blizzaks made their way out without any drama. Much better than the 330i up the block that got needed two shovels and 4 people pushing.

If it wasn't a 335xi then it is RWD. Shouldn't even bother w/ RWD if they have all season tires.

I was out in the heart of this storm on Saturday. I am amazed at how well my "lowered" cx-9 with the Duelers handled in this heavy snow. Whitey and cccx9 can attest to the amount of snow we had in the DC area. Never got stuck and the traction control did and excellent job of getting throught some pretty deep snow.

I'll have to try the CX-9 today in the neighborhood and see how bad the duelers really are.

I have Goodyear Eagle LS-2s on my Yukon. They sucked when I took it out yesterday.

The LS-2s are rated higher in the snow on tirerack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+LS-2

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r=2008&autoModel=CX-9&autoModClar=Touring AWD

speaking of snow performance...what's up with AWD? I guess I thought the car would be a beast through the snow, but really did not get that feeling. The way I look at it...AWD w/ All-Season Tires = okay for getting around town on a snow day. 4WD w/ Truck Tires = climb up at any snowbank you see!

Now I have to see what will happen when I add snow tires to AWD...

speaking of snow performance...what's up with AWD? I guess I thought the car would be a beast through the snow, but really did not get that feeling.

I hope they didn't sell you the CX-9 as being a "beast through the snow." AWD will never be the beast that a true 4WD truck can be. Even AWD vehicles aren't created equal. The AWD in my Subaru Legacy GT was pretty unstoppable and would only break grip for an instant in the slickest of conditions and that car had a powerful turbo engine. Audi and the Haldex systems found in a variety of cars can be pretty good too. By comparison, the CX-9 system is hampered by the fact that it is truly biased toward FWD. Various sensors can shift power to the rear but this can only occur once slippage is detected. Even then, only 50% of the power can go to the rear and cannot be biased to one wheel or another. This is a fine, safe and economical system but a "beast" it will never be.

I hope they didn't sell you the CX-9 as being a "beast through the snow." AWD will never be the beast that a true 4WD truck can be. Even AWD vehicles aren't created equal. The AWD in my Subaru Legacy GT was pretty unstoppable and would only break grip for an instant in the slickest of conditions and that car had a powerful turbo engine. Audi and the Haldex systems found in a variety of cars can be pretty good too. By comparison, the CX-9 system is hampered by the fact that it is truly biased toward FWD. Various sensors can shift power to the rear but this can only occur once slippage is detected. Even then, only 50% of the power can go to the rear and cannot be biased to one wheel or another. This is a fine, safe and economical system but a "beast" it will never be.

(lol) No, don't worry, no one sold me on the CX-9 being a "beast through the snow." I guess I just assumed it would be. What did throw me off was that it does not control which wheel it sends the power to...
e.g. I was climbing over a snow bank on the right side, and the 9 hesitated, spinning its two right wheels digging through the snow. Again, my first experience, I thought it would just transfer all the power to the left wheels and be a beast! (headbang) But that obviously did not happen! (sad1)

If you have the original Duelers, even AWD isn't going to help. Put some good tires on it and the AWD will be able to do it's job.

AWD is not a beast system, it's a finesse system. Our CR-V with it's Hydra-Mechanical AWD system out performed Subarus and other similar vehicles. Having good tires helped a lot, though.

Oh, trust me, I know about tires, I study them, I read reviews, I look at all aspects about tires, so I know the Duelers are not up to the job. I was going to get snows this year, but I will be holding off until next year to do so. I will report back at that time. I know my BMW 330ci (rwd) with sport snow tires did better than most FWD cars with all-seasons when it snowed, so I know the importance of snows, especially when it comes to stopping and ice! (2thumbs)

Unfortunately my duelers seem to be lasting longer than other owners. I have about 25K on them and plenty of tread left. I wish I could justify replacing them now but I'll probably have to wait at least 6 months.

Unfortunately my duelers seem to be lasting longer than other owners. I have about 25K on them and plenty of tread left. I wish I could justify replacing them now but I'll probably have to wait at least 6 months.

Dueler is not a "bad" tire, just not that great, I would just recommend you get something else when the time comes to replace them.

Back