Snow causing front sensors to beep incessantly...

denverdude

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Hey everyone, I love our 2018 CX-9 Touring AWD, but the one issue we've had is when there is heavy snow fall / muck, the front sensors beep warnings incessantly. This is especially problematic when on the freeway where wiping the front emblem isn't possible. It just beeped fairly consistently for almost an hour in today's heavy snow.

I'm hoping there is some simple workaround to this, but googling the issue made me feel like I was the only one who's ever had it :) (This is the only thread I could find that somewhat addresses it: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862219-Forward-Radar-Sensor-and-Snow)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I've found the only way to stop the beeping is to push the park assist sensor button to turn it off (if you go through an automated car wash it does the same thing). If/when it snows here in the philly area, the snow is usually wet/heavy & causes the sensors to constant go off

Have you tried turning them off while you are driving on the highway? It is the switch labelled "P" on the dash to the left of the steering column. If that doesn't fix it, you may need to take it to the dealer; in theory, the parking sensors only work at speeds under 10 km/h.

Have you tried turning them off while you are driving on the highway? It is the switch labelled "P" on the dash to the left of the steering column. If that doesn't fix it, you may need to take it to the dealer; in theory, the parking sensors only work at speeds under 10 km/h.

I turn mine off when snow or ice builds up on the front end and covers the sensors to the point that it beeps every time I'm at a stop light. When I park, I wipe off the sensors and turn it back on. The sensors do stop beeping once you get up to speed as well.

While this is a problem on all vehicles I've owned, it does seem to be much more sensitive on the CX-9 compared to my Lexus and Infiniti.

Thanks everyone, that was helpful. I figured there was a simple way to disable it, but I'm not car savvy, so hadn't found it yet. Cheers.

A coat of wax (polymer sealant, etc.) on the surface of the devices is a slight help to keep them clean.

And people think fully autonomous cars is going to work, LOL.

Maybe many years down the road, but using technology that needs to "see" isn't going to work.

Never mind the algorithmic issues now being discovered. Just read an article describing the problem AI is having in learning enough to adapt to billions of possible scenarios out on the road. We're not going to see full blown autonomy for many decades

My Pilot also has issues in ice/snow with safety systems and in these circumstances it just displays a message that the following systems have been deactivated. Push a button to turn it off or have the system deactivate automatically....take your pick....snow/ice seems to be an issue for all these systems.

Back