Smoke in exhaust while idling

I did that today, didn't get any smoke, but just to prevent :) I ordered the piece today, so hopefully spending the $30 will prevent me from having to do that. Driving downtown traffic sucks with trying to keep my engine above a certain rpm, haha.

Just wanted some ideas on what could be going on. When I let my car run idle for a few minutes, or sitting in traffic without moving much, I get a white smoke coming from my tailpipe. Not sure if its the oil white smoke or the water white smoke honestly. I've had many problems with this car, so I need to get a fix in place so I can get rid of this thing.

Currently installed mods are a test pipe, the upgraded plugs, CPE CAI, and SU engine mount. My car was pretty heavily modded last year, but this problem has just snuck up on me within the past two weeks or so.

I have checked my fluids and haven't noticed much change, going to check again tonight after the car cools down. I seem to get a check engine light after I get on it a bit, but after the car cools down for the night, it goes away, at least it did last time.

Any ideas?
not a clue, I have never heard of a smoking turbo with this engine (blah)(blah)(blah)

I did that today, didn't get any smoke, but just to prevent :) I ordered the piece today, so hopefully spending the $30 will prevent me from having to do that. Driving downtown traffic sucks with trying to keep my engine above a certain rpm, haha.

Well, I believe prevention is the key here. I put a DP/RP on and stuck the pill in at the same time. The car (early '08) didn't smoke before and hasn't started since. I have tried protracted (I mean over an hour) of stop and go without issue. I use synthetic oil and change it about every 3500 miles.

The seal in the turbine shaft area will be damaged if oil gets past it, It will eventually coke up and fail to seal at all. Then no magic pill will help you.

The "newer revision" turbos for the MS3 make no changes in the seal dept. You'd have to take it apart yourself and install a 270* seal to improve this.

I've done this work on Garretts but, never a KO4 so, I can't say how hard it is.

The "newer revision" turbos for the MS3 make no changes in the seal dept. You'd have to take it apart yourself and install a 270* seal to improve this.

I've done this work on Garretts but, never a KO4 so, I can't say how hard it is.

Just wondering what they "revised" with the 2 turbo revisions?

My dealership is telling me that my warrantee is gone. I'm at 39K, and I have about three to four minutes of white smoke after a whole night of the car sitting and then starting it in the morning. Also have occasional white smoke when I go WOT, so much I can see it in my rear view mirror.

My car is falling apart fast :(

Gmac

My dealership is telling me that my warrantee is gone. I'm at 39K, and I have about three to four minutes of white smoke after a whole night of the car sitting and then starting it in the morning. Also have occasional white smoke when I go WOT, so much I can see it in my rear view mirror.

My car is falling apart fast :(

Gmac

Why is your warranty gone? You only have 39k? Has it been flagged do to mods?

Why is your warranty gone? You only have 39k? Has it been flagged do to mods?

Nope, that's just what they tell me. They said that it was up after 36,000 miles. I've questioned it many times with them, they tell me the same thing everytime.

Gmac

Go to the mazda usa website and print out the warranty info, shove it in the dealers face and tell them to **** off. Better yet call mazda north america and tell them what the dealers telling you. They'll get s*** from corporate and usually you end up getting what u need done no questions asked. Check out the "I broke my toy" thread

Nope, that's just what they tell me. They said that it was up after 36,000 miles. I've questioned it many times with them, they tell me the same thing everytime.

Gmac

Do you have the owners manual? If so, have you ever read it? There is a 60k mile/5 year power train warranty. The turbo is covered under powertrain.

Go to the mazda usa website and print out the warranty info, shove it in the dealers face and tell them to **** off. Better yet call mazda north america and tell them what the dealers telling you. They'll get s*** from corporate and usually you end up getting what u need done no questions asked. Check out the "I broke my toy" thread

Exactly

I hate the dealership. It would be one thing if there was some sort of confusion to the question I asked, but when you ask it several times and in different ways in an attempt to get that kind of information and they still come back with the same answer.

I couldn't be clearer when I said,"so there is no longer any form of warrantee of any sort on this car?"

"No"

I will never buy another Mazda for as long as I live. And it's a shame, cause I really like the car and their involvement in racing.

Gmac

This really isnt something you can blame on Mazda but rather something you should blame the dealership for. I am 100% serious when I said call Mazda NA. It is 100% crystal clear that there is a 5year/60k mile drivetrain warranty. It is written clear as day in black and white that the turbo is considered part of the drivetrain warranty as well.

I hate the dealership. It would be one thing if there was some sort of confusion to the question I asked, but when you ask it several times and in different ways in an attempt to get that kind of information and they still come back with the same answer.

I couldn't be clearer when I said,"so there is no longer any form of warrantee of any sort on this car?"

"No"

I will never buy another Mazda for as long as I live. And it's a shame, cause I really like the car and their involvement in racing.

Gmac

Hey guys...so I put on the PTP part, and let it idle for about 10 min, and saw no smoke. Its time for me to get an oil change, so what should I get? I really don't get on it much anymore with the car...afraid it'll break, haha. But seriously, what oil should I get this time? I believe I have 5w30 in now, but I haven't seen smoke until now, so wondering if it should be different.

Hey guys...so I put on the PTP part, and let it idle for about 10 min, and saw no smoke. Its time for me to get an oil change, so what should I get? I really don't get on it much anymore with the car...afraid it'll break, haha. But seriously, what oil should I get this time? I believe I have 5w30 in now, but I haven't seen smoke until now, so wondering if it should be different.

You can try 5w40 and see if that helps clear out the smoke.

My 2007 stock Speed3 started smoking last Wednesday for the first time. It's getting more frequent. I have 44K miles on it.
I'll take it first to the dealership, they usually fix the problems I have. If not, does that PTP part works for stock engines or just help the ones with aftermarket downpipes?

PTP goes on the opposite end of the connection to the air intake, so only one part is needed.

I'm gonna try to get my oil changed tomorrow with 5w40, but with the new part, I let it idle for about 10 min, no smoke.

Awesome!!, definetly try Rotella Syn 5w-40 oil.. any walmart should have it..

Thanks. On a side note, I drove for about 4 hours on the interstate yesterday, and after I got off, I let it idle, no smoke, and none so far since the part install. Still need to get that oil change :)

I did get a CEL when I jumped on the x-way but not sure if its related or not. My dashhawk got stolen outta my car last year, so I'll have to stop by autozone or something and get it pulled. If this car didn't lose its value like something ridiculous, it would be gone already. Not happy with it, but then, I've never really modded a car either. Although this car has been fun, I wish I never got rid of my Titan.

Back