SmartMoney request

vikefan7

Did anyone else get this request from Smart Money? Wondering if it's legit...

"Hello,

Im with SmartMoney: The Wall Street Journal Magazine, which is published by Hearst and Dow Jones. Our automotive reporter is working on an article about crossovers like Mazdas CX-9, and hes interviewing consumers on what they think about the vehicle. Im hoping you might have some time to chat with him later today.

If so, feel free to contact our automotive reporter, Daren Fonda, at dfonda@hearst.com or 212-830-9298. Alternatively, you can also forward him your contact information and he can reach out to you.

Thank you for your time."

I would proceed with caution. This Hearst corporation apparently owns or markets Smartmoney magazine. But this seems like a strange way for a bigtime legit magazine to gather info by making random phone calls. The IP address does not trace back to smartmoney magazine. I would probably decline to provide any info, but that's just my opinion.

I agree. The phone number traces to a location 2 miles away from the Smart Money offices even though it's a land line. Could be a spoof.

This is the original message on Edmunds.com CX-9 Forum:

"A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Mazda CX-9 and decided to drive versus fly when vacationing. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, April 10, 2009."

And the person who responded to me was also from Edmunds.com ~ but the person who actually called me on the phone was from SmartMoney with a NYC phone number.

None of that proves it is from Edmunds or Smart Money. I can pretend I'm anyone, spoof their e-mail, and get information.

It's a New York number, but the Smart Money offices are on Broadway and 57th, close to Central Park. The number given is at 9th avenue and west 28th street, by Chelsea Park and the Garden. They wouldn't have given an unlisted toll number for this, anyway, when they have several toll free contact numbers.

They also wouldn't bother individually messaging us. They would have just posted it in the forum so everyone could see it.

Mazda3 is right. This is a weird way to gather that info for a report. Why would they only want people with children to participate? I bet if you tell them you have 5 kids, they'd say they are looking for couples without kids. That sounds like their way out once they got the info they needed.

By the way, Mazda3, did you get the private message?

Last edited:
What type of a scam are you folks worried about? I mean its not like any of us would give up our ssn. Email address, phone number?? If they sound shady on the phone you tell them to f off.

I bought mine Sunday and got the email today, only 5 days later. I didn't bother returning the message though. It seems legit, but with as much crime that goes on today I don't blame ppl for being cautious.

They promise a free t shirt, you give them your home address or phone number, and they know where they can get a shiny new CX9. No one gives a free gift for taking a survey.

Professional car thieves don't drive around looking for random targets. They fill specific orders by using scams to find out where owners live or work, then learn your schedule and goodbye car. They can even defeat the immobilizer. Pretty simply.

So when My09CX-9's CX9 disappears, and he never gets that t shirt, we will know.

Last edited:
What type of a scam are you folks worried about? I mean its not like any of us would give up our ssn. Email address, phone number?? If they sound shady on the phone you tell them to f off.

I'm not worried about anything. This might very well be legit, but it is definately a little weird. For me personally it's just not important enough to participate in this article to take the risk of giving them any info. Just my opinion take it for what it's worth.

They promise a free t shirt, you give them your home address or phone number, and they know where they can get a shiny new CX9. No one gives a free gift for taking a survey.

Professional car thieves don't drive around looking for random targets. They fill specific orders by using scams to find out where owners live or work, then learn your schedule and goodbye car. They can even defeat the immobilizer. Pretty simply.

So when My09CX-9's CX9 disappears, and he never gets that t shirt, we will know.

I feel sorry for anyone who lives in constant fear ~ False Evidences Appearing Real ~ for there's no end to fear!

Last edited:
Just giving an example of why people need to be cautious. It's people who trust everyone who end up being ripped off.

We don't live in Utopia. Sadly, there are thousands of people, especially now, who will go to great lengths to get our money.

I had a motel staff steal my wedding ring and credit card information before. People you assume you can trust.

Be ignorant of scumbags all you want, My09CX-9. My life isn't less enjoyable because I don't trust everyone. Head looking around, not in the sand.

There's no riot. Just people sharing their opinion for the most part.

I think everyone can relax. I spoke to the reporter on Friday. They're looking for a very specific family to interview. You must have kids and be planning to take a road trip with the CX-9 this summer to a destination that you would normally fly to but because of the economy you're driving to save cash. I have kids and I'm taking a road trip but because I wouldn't normally be flying I didn't fit the bill. He asked me a bunch of CX-9 related questions and then stated they probably wouldn't use any of it since we weren't exactly what they're looking for. He didn't ask for my address or anything.

I had exactly the same experience as cccx9. Lots of good questions, but I wasn't exactly what they were looking for.

Sounds like it might be legit, but I still think it is a strange way to recruit people for an article.

Back