2007~2015 Smart key partially inoperative

:
Mazda CX 9 grand touring
2009 CX9 Touring. Both smart key fobs have new batteries yet the pushbuttons on the door handles do not work. The engine will start but the red "KEY" warning light stays on. If I leave the engine running and get out I no longer get the audible warning.
However, the lock, unlock, and tailgate buttons on the fob work fine and have good range.
Has anyone experienced these problems? Just want to see if there is something simple to fix before I spend the dough at the dealership.
Thanks

Solution
The problem is fixed, it ended up being a failed rear antenna. Cost to repair at my local Mazda dealer was $350 including the diagnostic time.
I have a problem on mine, actualy both of them, i do not have the card though, i have the regular key. The led won't lit when i press the lock unlock button, i changed both batteries and still same problem, sometimes will work and sometimes it won't. I beleive it is a bad connection inside but if i have a probem with a module, will the led lit up or not? Does the led on the key confirms that it communicates or that the command is working?
Yes, if the led isn't flashing every 5-6 seconds, then it isn't communicating with the vehicle and the immobilizer won't allow the vehicle to start without a key in the ignition.

Upvote 0
As I remember, my card never blinks. The LED only lights up when I press it. I do not know, but I turn the ignition switch without a key more than once, and I always succeed with the key. Recently the key continues to flash red and sometimes turns green. If everything is ok, after reading the card, the key should turn green instead of blinking red and I start the car

Upvote 0
As I remember, my card never blinks. The LED only lights up when I press it. I do not know, but I turn the ignition switch without a key more than once, and I always succeed with the key. Recently the key continues to flash red and sometimes turns green. If everything is ok, after reading the card, the key should turn green instead of blinking red and I start the car
Then the key is not communicating with the alarm module. Yes, the dash light will be green when the immobilizer is turned off via the key allowing keyless ignition.

I recently went thru this and tossed the smart-key and got a chip key cut. Life is so good now. LOL

Upvote 0
Have you seen my movies? What's wrong with the card? Or maybe it's the fault of some antenna.
Yes I saw them. Like I've said, the card is not communicating with the alarm module and not allowing keyless ignition. The alarm module is most likely the problem; it is up behind the cluster and costs at least a few hundred dollars.

Upvote 0
Today I noticed that the right rubber from the handle button is broken. Right door button. Could this be the reason the keyless actuation is not working well?

Upvote 0
Today I noticed that the right rubber from the handle button is broken. Right door button. Could this be the reason the keyless actuation is not working well?
I would doubt it. When I had a bad antenna, the lock/unlock operation changed but the keyless start remained normal.

You could get it scanned and see if any codes are stored.

Upvote 0
Code: B1600 - PATS ignition key transponder signal is not received.

- Possible causes -
- Defective ignition key
- PATS antenna or cables damaged
- Damage to the PCM

Module: Opening the door locks with a remote control (no keys required)

Upvote 0
I think it's the battery's fault. The new duracell has 3.20V and the previous one, also the new one, was 2.97V. There is an improvement. I can almost always start the engine with a keyless entry

Upvote 0
I still have a problem with keyless. Engine starting works once and then I have to insert the key. Once every 10-15 times the button in the handle works but most times it does not work. Forscan shows an error as I wrote above. Could that be the keyless antenna on the back under the bumper?

Upvote 0
Strange. I light up normally a few times. sometimes I have to use a key. Yesterday I was driving without the key light blinking and today it is flashing. Can I replace this module myself or do I have to go to the mazda service? Do the remotes need to be programmed?

Upvote 0
Back