Slow to fill gas tank - pump keeps shutting off

:
protege5
I just thought I'd throw this up there as a FYI because it doesn't come up in any of the searches I could find.

For the last couple weeks when filling up with gas, the pump would go in about a gallon, and shut off as the filler neck fills with fuel. Then you have to slowly trickle the gas in to prevent the pump from shutting itself off. I read about spiders in the vent hole (possibility where I live) and the charcoal canister filling with fuel from topping off the tank (unlikely because I never "top it off").

This weekend I finally had time to take a look at it. This may help some of you, especially if you live on or frequent muddy dirt roads like me. The vent line exits the rear fender well and the hose is about 1/2-3/4 inches diameter (much larger than I expected for just a vent line). It connects to a round cylinder before it goes to the charcoal canister, appears to be a vent valve or a check valve of some sort. I think it's white but couldn't really tell because it was completely caked in mud. Well, there's vent openings around the outside of this that I didn't know existed until I started blowing it off with an air tip. Cleaned these out and fills like normal now.

Free fix may help somebody :)

Back