Slightly off-the-wall question about the 2016 CX-5 seat height.

:
2016 CX-5 Sport AWD, 2012 Mazda3 iGT
Last month I purchased a 2016 CX-5 Sport; my first SUV. I come from a long history of "sports" cars, the most recent being a 2014 WRX so I'm used to the lower seat heights and as I'm only 5'2" and about 130lbs soaking wet, I find that even the lowest height for the driver's seat is a little uncomfortable. It's got nearly 2000 miles on it already and I still can't find a comfortable seat position. One click too far forward and I feel like I'm too close to the steering wheel, one click back and the heel of my foot isn't on the floor when accelerating. I know there's no "factory" way to lower the seat even more but I absolutely would be open to aftermarket seat bracket options if anyone is familiar with one that will do what I'd like; simply lower the seat height.

Any help would be appreciated!

The only thing I can think that is without engineering is to go back to the dealer and try one with an electric seat which has a wide range of stepless adjustment. Your options from there is to see if they will take it back for a model with electric seats or if you can have one fitted to the car you have. The option you have without the electric seat is to go to a good local garage and see if they can fabricate something for you. Keep in mind it needs to be returned back to standard when you come to sell it.

Have you tried adjusting the telescope / tilt of the steering wheel?

Yes, I'm just little. Not to mention, I have an undiagnosed case of sciatica, or so I think, and just the height alone is too high to be comfortable on the backs of my legs. Factoring in driving with that just becomes frustrating.

I LOVE the car, but this is a huge downside. I went with the Sport because I wasn't interested in the features the Touring, etc. offered and didn't feel the need to pay for things I was going to turn off and disable. Besides, the seat can be modified for much less than what it would have cost for a higher model with more adjustable seats. I just couldn't justify the cost.

One word for Sciatia- Yoga.

The "warrior two pose" provides me instant relief from sciatica. Google this pose. It stretches out your spine/vertebrae. Essentially any spine stretching Yoga pose will help but this is the best for me. Keep in mind all Sciatica is referring to is the pinching of nerves by your vertebrae. Hence you need to stretch them back into normal spacing.

The variation of this pose that works for me is when my shoulder blades and heel (feet) are up against a wall. I try to keep the pose for 10 seconds each. One facing left and one facing right. Its a tough pose to keep but my Sciatica instantly goes away.

See this vid for how to do the pose.

Last edited:
One word for Sciatia- Yoga.

The "warrior two pose" provides me instant relief from sciatica. Google this pose. It stretches out your spine/vertebrae. Essentially any spine stretching Yoga pose will help but this is the best for me. Keep in mind all Sciatica is referring to is the pinching of nerves by your vertebrae. Hence you need to stretch them back into normal spacing.

The variation of this pose that works for me is when my shoulder blades and heel (feet) are up against a wall. I try to keep the pose for 10 seconds each. One facing left and one facing right. Its a tough pose to keep but my Sciatica instantly goes away.

See this vid for how to do the pose.

Thank you so much! I've learned to live with it after countless trips to the ER and doc and leaving with "you're fine" each time other than one suggestion for physical therapy 3-4 times a week which would cost about $200/wk. I will definitely try yoga.

In the mean time, I still wouldn't mind hearing of a seat bracket that may lower the seat if anyone knows of one that will work with the stock seat.

In the mean time, I still wouldn't mind hearing of a seat bracket that may lower the seat if anyone knows of one that will work with the stock seat.

Not sure if there's one for this car. My wife is 5-2 and she has the seat (non-power) all the way forward and the steering wheel pushed in. Perhaps getting some Recaro or similar seats would work for you?

Another recommendation to look into aftermarket Recaro seats--they make a bunch of different models. In fact, after Googling, I see some direct discussions on people with sciatica finding certain Recaro seats that help with the correct positioning.

I don't suffer from sciatica, but I'm relatively short (5'6") and really like the seats in my CX-5 (GT trim). While I miss having a memory setting as my Mazda6 had, the power adjustments and the lumbar support plus the adjustable steering wheel allow me to find a very comfortable position (including the important height adjustment).

Good luck to you!

If you haven't done so yet crank the height up not down. it will put you way closer with the way the linkage under the seat works.

I would go back to the dealer and try a higher end model with adjustable seat height. If that works then check your local wrecking yards / ebay and buy an adjustable seat.

Frank

Can you do that between models? I mean do all the seats between models fit and the wiring harness works for all?

Back