Ski Rack Questions

Hey, I have a 2003 protege5. I don't know what the difference is between the 03 and 03.5, but whatever, it probably doesn't matter for my question.

Anyhoo, for Christmas my parents got me a nice thule ski rack and all that jazz but for the main "feet" or whatever they're called, they got the stupid things that like connect down on to the door frame. I guess they got the thule 400xt set or something. I've heard bad things about these with paint scratching and stuff like that, plus my roof (no factory rack), seems to have little areas in the roof track where a rack can be installed without using the type that my parents bought me.

So basically I'm a total car noob and have no idea what I'm doing or what to do. If my only option is using the rack type that they got me then I'll just return it and get nothing. I want something that looks a bit better and will work a bit better than the type they got me.

What are my options? What kind of main feet should I get for a rack on my car? And what's the diff between an 03 and a 03.5?

Thanks for any help.

Hey man Merry Christmas and good job on the great present. If you don't have the factory rack then you are severly limited on the options available for racks. I will assure you that if you install the rack correctly and tightly then you are at very little risk of scratching your paint. I used to work at an outdoor retail store and have installed many Thule and Yakima system racks. In fact the greatest risk of scratching the roof is when putting your skis into the rack itself. Just use some caution and you will be fine. I'm sure your parents did their homework and bought the correct feet and fit kit, but if you want to double check I think you can access a fit guide via Thule's homepage. If I still worked or lived near the store I'd hook you up but I'm currently stationed in Korea with the USAF so that's out of the question. I will tell you that a properly installed Thule roof rack looks pretty good on our car. Invest in the optional fairing and the looks will improve while reducing the noise. Just a heads up the fairing is a pain in the ass to install but well worth it. My opinion is to keep the rack just in case you get into biking/kayaking/etc. Thule makes the best rack IMO. Hope this helped. Later. ~Matt

Yakima fan here, but either way, you DO have the right rack. Much better off thatway than anyother. I've had my Q-towers (yakimas equiv) for 8yrs now through 3 cars. never a problem, just remove the rack and wash under it once a year or so.

AS far as the year, it potentially could make a big diff 'cause the 03.5's have no stock roof rack. THis makes mounting this style of rack easier in some ways, I know that with yakima it'll jsut mount over the top no problems, not sure on thule, I haven't dealt with them much.

Ok, so I guess the 400xt is the right clip setup for me then?

I just don't like the unnatural look of those clips way out on the side of the car almost. But if you guys assure me that they are the right ones then I'll go with them. I guess I just thought that those flush strips with the little filler caps would be used to install a rack, even if it's not the factory one.

And I definitely have the 03.5, now that I've read a bit more. Mine has both the sub and no factory rack.

Thanks for the help. Any other information provided would be appreciated.

again, I'm not 100% sure about thule, but no using the factory stuff prettymuch never happens, toomuch crap to specifically engineer for every specific vehicle. Here's my yakima setup http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82968&highlight=yakima (of course there's board racks on it now for winter) on my 03.5. FOrtunately since I'm unsure of how, exactly thule fits having no rails makes more room for you to mount the feet on, having an 03.5 makes life easier.

here is how mine is set up, might be different because i have a sedan, but they should be similar. Just clean the surfaces well. I have been using this for 2 season now, and no scratches because the rack.
thule4.jpg

PaulMP3 said:
here is how mine is set up, might be different because i have a sedan, but they should be similar. Just clean the surfaces well. I have been using this for 2 season now, and no scratches because the rack.
thule4.jpg

Yep, mine looks basically just like yours. Locking down in the top of the doorframe like that.

Thanks for the help guys. I do like the looks of that Yakima style a bit better, but I'm happy with what I have now.

Again, thanks for the help. I guess I'm all set for now. I just need to wash my car and get that sucker attached. Heard it wasn't too difficult, so wish me luck!!!

Paul> sweet, thanks for that, I haven't even really seen any modern thule setups. The last time I sold thule was in '95 when I was in highschool.

At anyrate, Not toosure with thule, but with yakima it's best if you measure everything and get it laid out perfect and level before you install it, then take the xbars with toweres attached out to the car and they should plop on and lineup just right. Also, if there's any option at all, go for giving yourself as much barspread as possible.

Back