Sitting in Toyota dealership

Have you tried sport mode before? It most certainly makes a difference and it does make sense. Makes sense for the appropriate times. I've read A LOT of reviews on the 16 CX-5, the main complaint is that it's too aggressive and it should be toned back. Well, I think reviewers themselves are mistaken by the whole point of it. Just as you are. It's not meant to be used probably even more than 5 mintues of driving. It truly is for those moments when you just power more quickly, and when you just wanna have some fun, keep the rpms up, and be more in the powerful zone of the torque curve. I have it in my car, and it does just that.

No, but I did leave my Z06 in 2nd gear one time and it was super fast. Like a ZR1 being shifted properly, so I guess I can appreciate it?

Makes no sense to me.

This is a compact econo car SUV. SPORT mode does nothing for acceleration except keep you lugging around in the "wrong" gear, and re-tune the pedal so that people who are prone to placebo effects feel like the car is faster.

If you like it, that's fine. People believe in and donate billions of dollars per year to causes that make them "FEEL" good, so no harm buying something that costs a little more for a feature that makes you smile.

No, but I did leave my Z06 in 2nd gear one time and it was super fast. Like a ZR1 being shifted properly, so I guess I can appreciate it?

Makes no sense to me.

This is a compact econo car SUV. SPORT mode does nothing for acceleration except keep you lugging around in the "wrong" gear, and re-tune the pedal so that people who are prone to placebo effects feel like the car is faster.

If you like it, that's fine. People believe in and donate billions of dollars per year to causes that make them "FEEL" good, so no harm buying something that costs a little more for a feature that makes you smile.

I stopped reading after "No" cause that's all I needed to hear. Because it really is something you have to experience yourself. But you can have your opinion of course.

Last edited:
I stopped reading after "No" cause that's all I needed to hear. Because it really is something you have to experience yourself. But you can have your opinion of course.

It won't make my CX-5 go 0-60 any faster.
It won't make my CX-5 go 60-0 any faster.
It apparently costs me 1.5mpg.

It's not very appealing sounding.

I guess I'm one for quantifiable improvements. You quantified 1.5mpg loss. Yet every auto magazine gets the same acceleration numbers, sport mode or not.

Do you have any links to this info? Not doubting it, just generally curious. I really don't use sport mode except ocassionally to slow the engine down without using the brake.

It's not very appealing sounding.

Regardless of your opinion, factually speaking, it changes the feel and throttle response of the vehicle. In fact, the Mazda manual states this is exactly what it does. It makes rolling acceleration much more enjoyable as the car is always revving in the power band.

It actually makes my CX-5 go 0-60 and 0-80mph faster, relative to non-sport mode, with just a tip-in instead of flooring it. Also, having it staying at max-torque rpm allows me to zoom pass other cars swiftly. In non-sport mode, the CX-5 is not as snappy as the Accord Sport, but it can leave the Accord behind easily in Sport mode.

I've been trying to simulate the Sport mode with manual shifting but can't seem to do it, the computer seems to hold the rev for optimum torque that I can't quite do the same. I only use Sport mode for about 30-60 seconds at a time, started getting used to flipping the button without looking.

I would've rather they put the money from Sport mode to paddle shifters for any non-GT Mazda.

I drove Toyota Corrollas ( three) from 1991 to 2011. First one lasted me over 300k miles before I gave it to relative. Last one lasted 60k trouble free miles before it got totaled. That being said, I’m no believer in this brand being invincible anymore. The gas pedal fiasco and their diddling around with a fix/explanation left a bad taste for me. Still don’t believe that was the reason for the sudden acceleration which I experienced a time or two. Didn’t know what was going on at the time it happened, but now I do. I love the CX5. Love the engine-trans combination. It shifts when I want it to and has gobs of torque. Hell of a lot better looking than the Rav.

I would've rather they put the money from Sport mode to paddle shifters for any non-GT Mazda.

If they do that, be sure to have the paddles mounted on the steering column instead of the steering wheel. It's super awkward on the Accord Sport as I can't tell where the paddles are during a turn.

This is probably just me being a novice, but I found that I cannot get manual shifting to be as smooth and efficient as Sport mode. There's a little delay between hitting -/+ on the stick and the gears actually getting shifted. And then, I can't seem to keep the engine at the right RPM as good as the computer.

Just this morning I was a little late for the bus. It's a daily route, and I know if I can make it within 11 seconds of turning left, I can make the next three stop lights. I was the 6th car in the line, and luckily all 5 cars in front of me stayed on the right lane after the turn. As I flipped into Sport mode and zoomed pass them, I can totally feel the acceleration going from 10 to 80mph holding me to the seat, and it's slightly uphill too. I guess you have to use Sport mode more often to really appreciate it. I applaud Mazda engineers for the Sport mode, it actually makes the car totally different for when you need it to, unlike the wimpy sport mode on Honda that doesn't make much difference.

If they do that, be sure to have the paddles mounted on the steering column instead of the steering wheel. It's super awkward on the Accord Sport as I can't tell where the paddles are during a turn.

This is probably just me being a novice, but I found that I cannot get manual shifting to be as smooth and efficient as Sport mode. There's a little delay between hitting -/+ on the stick and the gears actually getting shifted. And then, I can't seem to keep the engine at the right RPM as good as the computer.

Just this morning I was a little late for the bus. It's a daily route, and I know if I can make it within 11 seconds of turning left, I can make the next three stop lights. I was the 6th car in the line, and luckily all 5 cars in front of me stayed on the right lane after the turn. As I flipped into Sport mode and zoomed pass them, I can totally feel the acceleration going from 10 to 80mph holding me to the seat, and it's slightly uphill too. I guess you have to use Sport mode more often to really appreciate it. I applaud Mazda engineers for the Sport mode, it actually makes the car totally different for when you need it to, unlike the wimpy sport mode on Honda that doesn't make much difference.

I like the sport mode but it holds onto gears a little too long for me. Manual allows me to down shift/upshift as needed. Basically a more controlled sport mode to stay in the power band then upshift for fuel economy. Not to mention manually downshifting for engine braking although sport mode does a decent job in that. The only problem with manual mode having one hand on the steering wheel hence my wish for the paddles.

One Example: manual shift till I get to 3rd gear and while in 3rd I'm always in the max power band but at any time I can upshift to 6th to access sub 2000 rpms for great gas mileage. Sport mode is limited to max 5th gear only and often stays at 3rd gear longer than I need.

I'm glad that the sport mode is included though. Plus there's the step pedal button as well.

I have not driven a '16 but IMO there is likely a programming difference between '13-'15 and non-sport mode on the '16+. I have not seen any new reviews that show the '16+ as faster in 0-60 tests anyway. I tend to drive this vehicle a lot milder from an acceleration standpoint than my G35x but when I have dropped the throttle it felt like it was giving all it had in an aggressive way. I like features though and I'm sure I would appreciate having it. I do have a similar mode on my G35x and it sounds like it drives the same way as the Mazda. It downshifts far more readily and will hold the gear longer than I like. I usually manual out of it in that car when that happens. Ironically... in that vehicle many tests found 0-60 slower by small bit in sport mode versus normal.

Just speculation on my part... :)

It actually makes my CX-5 go 0-60 and 0-80mph faster, relative to non-sport mode, with just a tip-in instead of flooring it. Also, having it staying at max-torque rpm allows me to zoom pass other cars swiftly. In non-sport mode, the CX-5 is not as snappy as the Accord Sport, but it can leave the Accord behind easily in Sport mode.

I've been trying to simulate the Sport mode with manual shifting but can't seem to do it, the computer seems to hold the rev for optimum torque that I can't quite do the same. I only use Sport mode for about 30-60 seconds at a time, started getting used to flipping the button without looking.

Sport mode nor manual mode doesn't improve those 0-60 times.....but it the good ole butt dyno sure likes the 30-70 times when 3rd gear is kept.

Sport mode nor manual mode doesn't improve those 0-60 times.....but it the good ole butt dyno sure likes the 30-70 times when 3rd gear is kept.

I'm not doubting this, but I've heard this multiple times without proof. Can someone please post a video or article that actually says this please.

Interesting. All the magazine times are showing 0 difference, and my stopwatch places my non-Sport mode equipped CX-5 at 7.5-7.8 seconds 0-60, timing video of it. What does yours do it in? Also, yes, driving around in the wrong gear will make it seem faster.

Interesting. I've gotten used to using the accelerator pedal pretty intuitively...I just don't get the appeal.

Yes, driving around in the wrong gear feels amazing. I'd love to have a feature like that in my 2015. Not. These are the kinds of....individuals... you see cruising around in a Porsche in 2nd gear doing 60, IMO

I have not driven a '16 but IMO there is likely a programming difference between '13-'15 and non-sport mode on the '16+. I have not seen any new reviews that show the '16+ as faster in 0-60 tests anyway. I tend to drive this vehicle a lot milder from an acceleration standpoint than my G35x but when I have dropped the throttle it felt like it was giving all it had in an aggressive way. I like features though and I'm sure I would appreciate having it. I do have a similar mode on my G35x and it sounds like it drives the same way as the Mazda. It downshifts far more readily and will hold the gear longer than I like. I usually manual out of it in that car when that happens. Ironically... in that vehicle many tests found 0-60 slower by small bit in sport mode versus normal.

Just speculation on my part... :)
No Sport mode here, but when I floor it, the car does 100% of what it can, I feel. I am matching magazine 0-60 times in it in the high 7 second range. It downshifts IMMEDIATELY on the freeway. It engine brakes aggressively at stoplights if I cram on the brakes, or before corners, etc. in the mountains. It holds a lower gear for 3-5 seconds after I punch it and immediately let off, in case I need to punch it again. The only thing it DOESN'T do is buzz around annoyingly in the wrong gear on the freeway...

The only thing it DOESN'T do is buzz around annoyingly in the wrong gear on the freeway...

The right gear for the freeway is not the right gear for driving fast on a windy road.
Sport mode prevents the car from shifting into too tall of a gear and it keeps the car in the right gear for smoothly rolling on the throttle when exiting a corner.
The skyactiv transmission shifts very quickly and smoothly, but if you're going around a corner near the limits of traction even smooth shifts can upset the car.

I know the CX-5 is a boring SUV to you.. but the same sport mode button exists in the MX-5 and it really doesn't hurt anyone to have it in their cx-5.

I like activating the SPORT mode and then using the paddle shifters when I get off the throttle. This allows it to drop into a higher gear if needed. The paddle shifters + sport mode is a nice feature to have. Plus it's much easier & faster to have both hands on the wheel and shift the gears without needing to move a hand down to the gear shifter.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've gotten used to using the accelerator pedal pretty intuitively...I just don't get the appeal.

Please note that I wrote "relative to non-sport mode", that doesn't imply sport mode is strong, but rather non-sport mode is weaker when driving normally (as in tip-in instead of flooring it). The "normal" mode trades off fuel economy for crispiness, and sport mode is a nice complement. You certainly can floor it in non-sport and get the same max power out of the car momentarily, but as soon as you let go off the pedal, it drops out of the "power readiness" state, whereas sport mode allows you to tap in to that power instantly. Even when idling at the stop light, flipping into sport mode, I can feel the engine getting up waiting for demand.

In short, I think you misunderstood what sport mode for. It doesn't make the engine any more powerful than what it is, but rather the non-sport mode dials that power down for fuel economy.

Back