Sibling Rivalry: What's the better value play, Ford Fiesta or Mazda2?

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
2011mazda-kermit-305-adj.jpg

fiesta-hatch-blue-2011-305.jpg

The 2011 Ford Fiesta and Mazda2 come to market this summer with attractive looks and plenty of available features. The two models also have a lot in common, as both vehicles are based off the same B-Segment platform and engage in a good bit of parts-sharing. But which vehicle is the better value?

The folks over at TrueDelta attempted to solve that equation, and according to the research firm's blog, the answer isn't as simple as "which vehicle is cheaper." Sticker price is, however, a good place to start. A base Fiesta hatch stickers at $15,795, while the Mazda2 totals $14,730 (both prices include destination charge). That's a $1,065 win for Mazda, no doubt, but TrueDelta claims that figuring in the value of standard equipment in the Fiesta that doesn't exist in the Mazda brings the price gap down to about $300. A loaded Mazda2 Touring is $1,880 cheaper than a loaded Fiesta, but again, with equipment differences figured in the chasm, the gap reportedly shrinks to a mere $200.

After figuring in all the variables, TrueDelta feels the Fiesta wins out in spite of the fact that the Mazda2 is still cheaper even when factoring in available equipment. Why? The answer is fuel economy. The most efficient Mazda2 promises 28 miles per gallon in the city and 34 mpg on the highway. The thriftiest Fiesta comes in at a far more impressive 30/40 city/highway mix; more than enough fuel savings to offset a few hundred bucks.

But that doesn't make the Fiesta a superior deal in our estimation; at least not yet. If the Mazda2's engineers deliver plenty of added "Zoom-Zoom," we may be able to forgive and forget about the Fiesta's on-paper fuel economy advantage.

[Autoblog]

My GF's 2005 Corolla XRS does 40 highway and gets 30-32 mixed. What's the big deal? These cars should be doing better.

i think driving dynamics would be the kicker for me. the new fords "Should" have better dynamics, being world cars, but mazda has the zoom-zoom in the past. (think mazda3 vs focus)

I too have to give the nod to the Fiesta here...the package is nicer looking...

I still recall drive testing an Astra 5MT, nice looking, very European, but driving dynamics sucked, even compared to my Mazda people movers.

Bottom line, I hope the Fiesta drives like it looks, my (2cents) :D

How could Mazda make the Mz2 handle better than the Fiesta? What ever it is, they'll be "bolt-ons" (strut/shocks, swaybars, springs), so you'll be able to make the better looking car handle as well. Will Mazda offer a dual-clutch transmission?

Will Mazda offer a dual-clutch transmission?

I believe yes, but only in the cars with the upcoming SKY-Drive 6-speed Transmission IIRC, so this first Mazda2 model is out of the question...

Updated: found the article:
"Yamanouchi also announced that Mazda intends to carry out the global launch of the SKY-G engine mated to the SKY-Drive transmission in the U.S. market in 2011. Following the U.S. launch, Mazda then intends to roll out this all-new powertrain to global markets. The new automatic SKY-Drive transmission is expected to improve fuel economy by an additional five percent, while achieving a direct-performance feel like that of a dual-clutch transmission."

Last edited:
How could Mazda make the Mz2 handle better than the Fiesta? What ever it is, they'll be "bolt-ons" (strut/shocks, swaybars, springs), so you'll be able to make the better looking car handle as well. Will Mazda offer a dual-clutch transmission?

have you ever driven the mazda6 and fusion back-to-back? how about the tribute and escape? mazda3 to focus? all of those cars share similar platforms, yet the mazda version always has some voodoo in them that makes them more fun to drive. and sure, you could make the fiesta more fun to drive, but at what cost? there goes the price difference!

have you ever driven the mazda6 and fusion back-to-back? how about the tribute and escape? mazda3 to focus? all of those cars share similar platforms, yet the mazda version always has some voodoo in them that makes them more fun to drive. and sure, you could make the fiesta more fun to drive, but at what cost? there goes the price difference!

When my mom was in the market for a new car we did test drive all these cars back to back. She really wanted an SUV, her last car was a VW bug, so we went test drive the CX-7.
She loved it but wasn't sold... something about wanting to try other vehicles so after the CX-7 we went test drive the Edge... which she hated, compared to the Mazda.
She saw the Ford Escape and loved the way it looked, something about being "cute and square" I told her we should go back and drive the CX-7 again because I liked the curves of the Mazda and I drive my mothers car often enough to try and get what I want...
so we get back to the Mazda dealership and she spotted the Tribute we drove it to the Ford dealership to compare the two, she liked the Ford better, and I'd have to agree, although the Tribute is one of the cheapest vehicles to insure the Ford wins hands down, plus the Ford can have a navi.
We test drive the Mazda6 next, as I don't believe she actually needed an SUV, she loved the 6 in GT trim level but felt like the car was "closing in on her" we went and test drove the Fusion and it is a great car, I really liked the hybrid version but all trim levels drove great and she liked the car better then the 6, as did I.

She ended up with a Mitsubishi Outlander... but thats not really the point.

at its introduction, the US focus was not a bad handling car, and the SVT focus managed to win a few hearts away from Civics. ford seems to switch to gummy bear suspension on a lot of their transplants because americans want more compliant rides. theyre aiming for camry/accord buyers and if you ever see one of those stop on the roads you'll see the entire front end diving for pearls cuz of their soft suspension. hopefully the fiesta will retain its euro-tuned suspension and the mazda2 will deliver that ZoomZoom that is always promised.

I'm a hardcore Mazda fanboy, but I'm all for the Fiesta. Especially the ST. Unless Mazda comes out with a little more zoom-zoom for the Mazda2, the Mazdaspeed 2, which I highly doubt but it's possible, I believe the Fiesta is the better buy. Only if you're looking for performance out of such a small car. It may or may not be worth the money. But 9 times out of 10 if you buy this car, you're looking for economy not performance. But the ST is coming the the US.

fiesta-ecoboost-f34-1600-thumb-717x477.jpg

Last edited:
^^ So here we go, if we were to dump some money on them :)

Last edited:
lol, I see where you're going with this and it can be debated all day. I love the Mazda 2 but only in GT trim because it comes with stock HIDs with projector headlights, probably with rain sensing wipers, etc. I'm a sucker for stuff like that which is why I bought the speed3 in GT trim. But the Mazda 2 doesn't and probably won't come turbo stock.

The Fiesta will when the ST comes out. That alone wins me over because it should (should is a big word here), should come with other upgrades. But it's all speculation until it actually comes out. Besides, the Fiesta can come in a more aggressive stock trim and doesn't have that goofy ass grin which is a plus in my book any day.

Last edited:
Back