Show me your roof box!

I figured I had better close the loop on this.

Well, after unsuccessfully trying to buy used boxes on Craigslist and Kijiji here in Ottawa, I decided new was the route to go. I checked out importing for the US (I'm only about 20 minutes from the Ontario/NY border), but realized there wasn't much savings after paying shipping. Too much hassle. I looked around Ottawa, and found RackUltra in Gatineau (a Quebec chain) selling a 'new' Thule Evolution 1600 roof box. I say 'new', because they have had Thule clean off the moulds, and cast it again with only one side opening, and standard U-bolt attachment versus quick release. They have it on now for $429.99. It fit the bill perfectly. Aerodynamic, light, and big enough. I went on Friday, and they had it in stock. Within 20 minutes, they had installed it (corrected a fitment issue, as the box is designed for rails 31" apart, where ours are 32" apart), re-keyed it to match my factory Mazda (by Thule) rack, and sent me on my way. Service was excellent, and install was perfect.

On to the pictures...

DSCN0550Medium.jpg

DSCN0551Medium.jpg

And one from the rear...

DSCN0552Medium.jpg

You can see from this one that width was perfect. All in all, I'm impressed. No additional wind noise either.

Today, I took it off (with the help of the wife to lift it down since it's awkward, and taller than me ;) ). I noticed the nasty wind noise created with the factory rack installed with nothing on it. Luckily, a few months ago, I ran into a Thule clearance sale at an outdoors store in Ottawa (Sail). They had the 42" fairing (872XT) in the bin, and I snapped it up for around $60. I installed it today, and am happy to report that there is no wind noise anymore! Worthwhile addition to anybody running the rack 'empty', so to speak.

DSCN0553Medium.jpg

All told, I'm a happy camper.

Total bill: used factory Mazda rack ($125) + Thule Evolution 1600 box ($500 with taxes) + Thule 872XT 42" fairing ($60) = $685. $685 is alot cheaper than the alternative, which was going to be an F150 FX2 Ecoboost Supercrew. :D

Roof box for the road trip

Finally got everything I needed for the road trip (NC to NJ, 8-days, 1400 miles round trip).

INNO roof bars, Sears X-cargo 20 box. Installation of bars & box took less than 1.5 hours. Removal was 15 minutes.

The X-cargo box was great, holding 2 medium suitcases, a stroller, stepstool, and various other stuff with ease. Not a lot of wind noise either (when full). The X-cargo box is bigger than we needed, but it was perfectly rain-tight for the trip. A bit flimsy (the top will twist enough that you can open one rear corner), but seems durable enough, with proper care.

Adapters mounted, with covers

Load bars mounted

Cargo box mounted

Box open for loading

Ready to hit the road!

INNO Bars
Pros - fairly easy installation, great price, compatible with Thule products, load feet remain on the car (with covers)
Cons - Locks secure a plastic cover to the foot only, small gap between adapter and load-foot

X-Cargo Sport 20 box
Pros - good price, light weight, low wind noise, front hinge, rain-tight, underside of nose lower to cut bar noise
Cons - seems a bit flexy, single clamp-type lock at the rear, textured finish

JMJ

Last edited:
Just an FYI to those with INNO roof racks - we lost the covers for the base mounts that stay on the roof (first picture of post #23). I called RV-INNO and had replacements sent. $12 + $3 S/H.

Here are the part numbers if you need them.

JMJ

Attachments

• INNO rack parts.JPG
    INNO rack parts.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
I ended up getting the Sears brand XCargo Xtreme model. It's 16 cubic feet. Its a slimmer box similar to that Sportrack model posted a few post before mine. I think it's good on gas because I got over 160 miles to the half tank mark with it.

Anyway, I place my order on Sears to pick up the next day. I get there to pick it up and the guy there tells me to drive around back. I go in the back to pick it up and I see the box is open and all screwed up looking. I go in and say I paid for a new item and this one has scratches. Anyway I say I'll take it but they gotta discount me. They gave me another 10% off which was almost $30. I get home and start to install it and I notice it looks like someone did use it because I can see marks where it had been mounted previously. I also notice that one of the keys is bent because the dummy probably didn't know you cant take them out while the box is open. My wife calls Sears corporate and they give me another 10% off. When I started the box was $251, I found an online $5 off coupon which made it $246 after tax. Minus $29 for first 10% off and $25 for additional 10% off and I got that bad boy for less than $200.

I had to drill an extra set of holes on the front of this box since we dont have adjustable bars on our racks.
After all said and done its a nice box and fits a lot of stuff. I like it because its slimmer than the xcargo 16 and 20 models. I figured it would make gas mileage better and it seemed like I did get good gas mileage. I'll post a pic later.

I also picked the Xtreme model because it loads from the side. That 20 model a few posts ago opens from the back and you probably need a small stepladder to load that thing.

Also, I haven't noticed any wind noise with my box so hopefully that helps anyone here.

Last edited:
Damn, I was just about to buy one of these (the SportRack model) from Mal-Wart for $199 but the web site says they're not available. :(

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with the Yakima SkyBox 12? It's well-reviewed elsewhere and is on sale at REI for $319 until Labor Day. Seems like a very good price, especially since that it's supposed to be easy to mount and opens from either side.

Edit: I went ahead and ordered it; it was $343 including tax, for in-store pickup. Will report when I get it.

Last edited:
SportRack Vista XL

Just an FYI. I stopped by my local Home Depot (central NC) and they had a bunch of SportRack Vista XL boxes (18 cubic ft) for $100 (regular $180??). Not sure if this is a nationwide or local deal.

JMJ

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 379
Hillsborough, at I85 and 86.

They had a few there in the lumber aisle. Construction (based on description & picture) looks the same as my Sears X-Cargo 20.

JMJ

Last edited:
So I got the Yakima Skybox 12 last week from REI, $343, including tax. I mounted it right in the parking lot. It was pretty easy to get on the roof, but the mounts for my Inno faring interfered a bit with the Skybox mounting clamps, so I had to jigger those a bit. I did NOT have to remove the faring. The box opens from either side and I thought that would be good so as to not interfere with the car's antenna (I have it to the edge of the driver's side) but it doesn't seem that it would hit the antenna even if I chose to mount it on the passenger (ie antenna) side. The mounting clamps slide from front to back so you can adjust how far forward or back you want the box. No worries about hitting the tail gate. It has tie-down cleats on the inside which is pretty cool. I haven't put anything in it yet but it seems solid and I have no complaints so far. I'll try to get some pictures up when I get the chance.

What are peoples thoughts on OEM vs Inno racks? I need to order my rack this week.

Also aren't there boxes that are long and wide instead of tall?

What are peoples thoughts on OEM vs Inno racks? I need to order my rack this week.

Also aren't there boxes that are long and wide instead of tall?

IMHO if you have a moonroof and want full use of it, then there is no other option then to go with OEM. However, if moonroof is absent or you don't care to not have full use of it the Inno or better yet, again IMHO, the ROLA rack is better in looks, function, and aerodynamics...also cheaper...I think??

I got an Inno rack and it's fine. The price was roughly comparable to a similar Rolla product. I don't remember why I went with the Inno over Rolla - maybe it was a little cheaper at the time. Anyway, I've had no problems with it or the faring.

Since the SportRack model I wanted seems to be gone I'm seriously considering this one and would love to see your pics. Anyone else have this model? Who makes them?
I think they are Thule rebranded as Sears. Sorry so late but I'll post up some pics tonight after work.

Back