Should we thank Fast and the Furious?

• Yay

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 36 72.0%

• Total voters
:
10 MS3
As I was reading the April issue of SCC, I realized that GM and Toyota will be putting 2 more cars with FI on the market. I was thinking of the cars that have came out after F&F: EVO, STI, SRT4, Mazdaspeed, TC Scion, Chevy Cobalt and others I may have forgotten. But what do you guys think? Did F&F give that push to auto makers to make more sport compacts with FI???

Thanking F&F??? ... bah. so there are a couple more nicer cars out there now. (though as Jersey says EVO and STI were out WAY WAY before F&F). But the stereotyping of import and modified import drivers by insurance companies and by the police, is totally not worth a big "thank you" to the movie IMO.

It made the Import market huge. Not sure if "thank" is the right word either but it did make things happen.

because of the fast and the furious, cavaliers with a fart can and mismatching body kits with a bleacher wing think they are paul walker's supra. this i am not thankful for. what i am thankful for is that with the tremendous interest garnered by the movies, american branches of major car manufacturers have finally started tailoring to the aftermarket. they have a long way to go before they can match japan, or even australia, but it's been a decent start so far.

i think we should thank gran turismo for some of those cars. Without it most people would never know what an sti, evo, wrx, or sport compact is.

uhhh, i dont mind all the ricers, it makes my car look 100 times better :D

and the logic of there being more forced induction cars now doesnt really add up... what about the RX7 (FD and FC), the eclipse, supra... the new RX series has no turbo nor does the eclipse and they quit making supras. subaru has been doing turbo for quite some time and the evo has been around since the 80s or early 90s. even the old talons too, all the dsm family with their turbos. doesnt really count, but the jdm 240sx aka silvia is turbo charged and a plethora (sp?) of japanese cars are crammed full of turbos stock.

but i think that everyone forgets what movies do, they blow everything out of perportion to make it interesting.. would you really rather watch a movie where a guy works a day job like most of us, takes half his paycheck and pays bills and the other half he puts into his car, that sure as hell wouldn't interest me. also, for as many mods as he had on that skyline, a more likely job would have been selling cocaine because everyone knows you cant get that kind of money being a cop and street racing

Such a curse and a blessing at the same time. I spent the past weekend in Columbia SC and was embarassed by what I saw. Swarms of cars with bleacher wings, silly kits, coffee can exhaust tips, and underbody neons were everywhere on tasteless cars. That scene isn't so out of hand here in Raleigh so I never really let it get to me. But when I was down there it really made me question being involved in modifying imports all together. I felt embarassed to say I enjoy working on my import when most people now associate imports with these craptacular rolling rice bowls. Without the success of the films we don't have the aftermarket and the interest, with them we get 98149784187 100lb vin diesels looking to race anything at a stop light.

you pose a great question, indeed...

tonkabui said:
because of the fast and the furious, cavaliers with a fart can and mismatching body kits with a bleacher wing think they are paul walker's supra. this i am not thankful for. what i am thankful for is that with the tremendous interest garnered by the movies, american branches of major car manufacturers have finally started tailoring to the aftermarket. they have a long way to go before they can match japan, or even australia, but it's been a decent start so far.
amen brother-i feel the holy ghost a'comin

the chances of us "catching" up to japan is slim to none. read the newer super street mags and those poor kids r getting heavily influenced buy that damned movie.

not only that, with the emission laws and driving laws in the U.S. thats another big kik in the dick.

they have no clean air laws and a minimum fee of 3 grand is needed to get your liscence. so by the time your around your mid 20's you can have a liscence and finally purchase a car if your not spoiled.

where here, these 16 year olds get thier liscence outta cereal boxes and at that age with a "impressionable" mind(we call the stupid where i come from) you do what ever you see, and for the kids in this industy its not about apreciating a well tuned, hi performance machine- its about who could grab the most atention by showing off.

now i understand, sum people accually like the "ricer" look and do that "stuff" to thier car out of self enjoyment, and im not trying to give you the business, but the industry is growing rapidly where loads of progress has been made yet at the same time is making trouble for itself and we select few

and i do agree, to a point the scene has gotten beter- but now thier r manufacturers making bolt ons that accually hurt performance and r of poor quality.

to blame somthing else for they way things r is pointless.
the source of the blame subject seems to me to be imature "ricers"

F&F 1 and 2 wer just movies, did anyone blame the downfall of disco in the late 70's on saturday night fever?

i wasnt alive in the late 70s lol....

but all of this is true, you guys have no idea how many times i have thought about just putting my car back to stock, driving it daily and picking up a nice little FC to turn some heads. i think that if you really want people to look at the import industry serious, then DEFINATLY get rid of all the mid 90s cars such as the civics integras eclipses etc, with the exception of a few which didnt make it big in the ricer industry because they cost more than 10K.

i have some spare money in the bank i think im going to start shopping for that FC

cars take a lot more time to plan and engineer. the orig F+F was in 2001 correct ? that means by about LATE 2003-late 2004 the cars that were in plan are JUST coming around.
so- the mp3 was in prod when F+F came out, and the MSP was a simple result of feedback- the mp3 needed more power. MSP=more powered mp3. no where does F+F play in.

i agree with those saying F+F was the worst movie evar- i start to wonder if streeglow paid the people to film it, because they sure are seeing a TON more sales b/c of the movie.

F+F makes 15 year olds in 1992 cavaliers with tin can exhausts rev their engines at lights. it makes geezers in cadillacs look at MY import car and say what a piece of import s***.

F+F ruined it all.

Movies don't create markets they simply capitolize on the existing ones so f*** F&F they just made the average joe lose respect for the people that race and tune in a legit manner

All can say is that F&F really ****** it up for everyone thanks to that movie we have like 10000000000000000 ricers on the street that cause people to get into accidents and pull-up to me looking for a race when I'am just cruising on the parkway because they see my car has a few mods on it they believe that with their APC and 3A racing products as well as their 2 thousand decals they can beat anything. I learned most of what I know from reading import magazines getting involved in my car and what I learned here on the forum (thumb). It was F&F who almost made me go rice it was influcing me by showing wow glow in the dark pedals mad decals, What this makes bitches crazy for the cock! (blowjob) ah man I need to get all this crap to make me stand out. At first I started making my P5 ricey but then I stood back and looked at the person I was becoming and my car I had an ephiany and reliazed that this was not the way. Now when I see a whole bunch of ricers I say to my self man that movie had a brain wash (braindead affect on all this young kids with their honda civics. It also made law enforcement come hard on everyone they see with a modded car so for that I say F&F (ricer) (notcool) (argh) (fuoops) (getout) (piss) (pukey) (headshake (fu) (upyours) (protest) thanks for nothing you
******* suck!

Last edited:
I think that while I despise what resulted on a person to person basis as a result of the F&F series, I must afford them a sense of appreciation also. They helped to get legitimate racing companies to put out products that they might not have otherwise. Yes StreetGlow and APC are swimming in business (unfortunately) but there are also companies that began to understand the financial power behind making compacts go fast. Yes there is an abundance of extroardinarily bad results but there is also a plethera of positive things and to that end I will 'thank' (headshake the F&F series... (lurk)

heres what i found sad.

when f&f came out me and my friend took my Z28 and went to see it and from a movie standpoint goes it was rpetty cool, the technical aspect however, yeah whoever wrote it didnt know s*** about cars. on the way out of the theater all i can hear is civics with fart cannons revving at each other. driving home EVERY ricer i drove by wanted to run. now lets do the math here. 1 movie glorifying street racing + 1500 16 y/o morons in ricers = lots of revenue for the police departments. There was a cop stationed on every corner. I know people that were into the import scene way before f&f and they said they hardly ever saw the kind of cars i like to dub "auto zone rice". It's really sad the view that f&f placed in peoples minds about street racing and the import scene in general.

Back