Should I remove my air split?

peepsalot

Contributor
:
Black 03 MSP
I think that is what this piece is called. The little plastic piece that sticks out under the front bumper.

Anyways, I think it looked bad to begin with, but now it is chipped up from parking too close to a high curb and looks like total crap. What is the purpose of this piece? Are there disadvantages to removing it?

peepsalot said:
I think that is what this piece is called. The little plastic piece that sticks out under the front bumper.

Anyways, I think it looked bad to begin with, but now it is chipped up from parking too close to a high curb and looks like total crap. What is the purpose of this piece? Are there disadvantages to removing it?
Yeah I believe that's just a curb feeler. If you lower the car you can't see it very well if at all. It should be there to let you know you have gone too far over the block or curb.

edit: or are you talking about the splitter that sticks out under the front bumper area? If it's that piece you are reffering too; removing it isn't an issue unless you keep parking to close. Then your bumper, instead of the splitter, will end up looking like crap.

Last edited:
Sticks out as in down? Or sticks out as in forward? There's the one that's actually mounted to the bumper on the 03's and there is another one that goes down. The RX-8 has one just like it.

Either way, I'd suggest leaving it if you're hitting curbs with it.

Last edited:
Sticks out forward. I've gotten used to the lowness of the car now, and I haven't been running into curbs lately. My previous car was an 82 volvo that had a pretty damn high bumper, and I could just pull up till the wheels touched any curb, so it took some getting used to with this car.

So the main purpose of it is to protect the bumper? I thought maybe it was for aerodynamics or something. Why would they call it an air split instead of a bumper protector? Or is the airsplit a different piece?

That piece was actually designed by the Mazdaspeed guys in CA. I don't think they wind-tunnel tested it or anything. I think their intention was just to have a little extra something for looks on the front.

That's weird cause I always thought it looked like crap. It just looks like it doesn't belong there, it is the least seamless piece of body work on the car. Ok, I guess I'll take it off then.

That piece is a windsplitter and is a Mazdaspeed Japan part made in Australia. The offered in Japan Mazdaspeed A-Spec Familia. And most likelly it has been tested in Japan. BTW you can order one new from your local dealer. Just my .02
Joaquin

joaco said:
That piece is a windsplitter and is a Mazdaspeed Japan part made in Australia. The offered in Japan Mazdaspeed A-Spec Familia. And most likelly it has been tested in Japan. BTW you can order one new from your local dealer. Just my .02
Joaquin
Where did you hear that? I talked to one of the Mazdaspeed R&D guys in person at Seven Stock 6. They said they designed that themselves in CA. Along with the 03.5 wing and lip and a few other parts. He didn't design the parts himself, he had another job working in Mazdaspeed R&D.

The special edition Familia in Japan was called an MPS. It was a limited edition product like the MP3 and MSP. It had around 185hp (If I remember correctly). Powered by an all motor FS engine. It was a better version of our MP3. The extra power was made by a different exhaust cam, slightly lighter flywheel, higher compression pistons (all I can remember).

I saw it at the Mazdaspeed site about a year ago. The site is down now for some reason. The 03 MSP rear spoiler is also from Mazdaspeed Japan. I don't know about the 03.5 lip or rear spoiler.
Joaquin

Where ever the hell it came from, I love mine!! Couldn't imagine my car without it.

I bought one and installed on my P5, also I moved it about 1/2" foward. It makes the front different.
Joaquin

that s*** is pain in the ass to take off if u dont take off your front bumper!
trust me, i've done it.

Back