Shady Dealer Madness

I have never had a dealer offer me any of these maintenance plans. I assume the price is somewhat negotiable as i don't see it in the brochure. Is it usually good discount for those that get dealer maintenance?

Me either but here it is on the corporate site.
Lame imo. I mean look at the first level. "Inspect, inspect, inspect" uh... and you want to charge me for that?

Lame imo. I mean look at the first level. "Inspect, inspect, inspect" uh... and you want to charge me for that?

After reading reviews of “prepaid maintenance” all brands, ot seems a bad investment. One mazda 3 owner paid $1700 - dealer wanted $3k initially. Just another negotiable option that locks you into one dealer - you are stuck doing maintenance for that contract with the one dealer.

Nowhere did i see a price that gave a discount by prepaying for oil change and tire rotation. Give me 5 oil changes and tire rotations for $250 and may do that.

I couldn't agree more about "inspect, inspect, inspect". I go to the dealer for oil change and tire rotation. While they're doing these two things they will inspect all the other things listed without addditional charge. After all, checking these items to see if they can tack on additional services is how they make money.

Cabin and engine air filter change are things they excessively over charge on. It's less than 3 minutes labor that they tried to charge me over $100 labor for.

After reading reviews of “prepaid maintenance” all brands, ot seems a bad investment. One mazda 3 owner paid $1700 - dealer wanted $3k initially. Just another negotiable option that locks you into one dealer - you are stuck doing maintenance for that contract with the one dealer.

Nowhere did i see a price that gave a discount by prepaying for oil change and tire rotation. Give me 5 oil changes and tire rotations for $250 and may do that.

As far as I know, the prepaid maintenance was set price, it is the Extended warranty that is negotiable... My dealer included the maintenance with my lease.

Also with the Mazda Pre-Paid Maintenance plan you are NOT locked into a dealer as you stated, you are free to go to any Mazda dealer.

Last edited:
As far as I know, the prepaid maintenance was set price, it is the Extended warranty that is negotiable... My dealer included the maintenance with my lease.

Also you are NOT locked into a dealer as you stated, you are free to go to any Mazda dealer.

I am just going by reviews and the fact that i see no published price for any mazda prepaid maintenance options and others said they negotiated it down. If it is portable that is better, but car sites claim they aren’t and that was a negative.

I am just going by reviews and the fact that i see no published price for any mazda prepaid maintenance options and others said they negotiated it down. If it is portable that is better, but car sites claim they aren’t and that was a negative.
I agree, buyer beware! There are different products that the dealer can sell, rather than the Mazda plan, some dealers will sell their OWN dealers maintenance plan that must be redeemed at that dealer.

Yeah, I didn’t pay anywhere near the price quoted above, quite a few hundred less. Still more than it should have been though.

Knowing what I know, I wouldn’t purchase it again.

Last edited:
I agree, buyer beware! There are different products that the dealer can sell, rather than the Mazda plan, some dealers will sell their OWN dealers maintenance plan that must be redeemed at that dealer.

This. Maybe I am old but it is OK to question everything and go over every detail when you are giving someone your money.

Here's something to ponder. I have a premium maintenance plan and extended warranty on my other vehicle (not Mazda). I was never a fan of these plans, but it was attached to my truck when I bought it, so didn't cost me anything. This plan is for 6 years / xxx mileage and very clearly states an 8000 km service interval. I stopped at the dealer one day for a simple bulb issue. Mechanic quickly came out and was a 5 minute fix. They didn't charge me, but advised me that stops like that should go against my total visit count. That would mean I would run out of visits before the allotted mileage. From then on, I just scheduled at the 8000 km intervals. At least they advised me instead of letting me use them up.

Not 100% sure, but I will assume Mazda is the same. The service visit is not just inspect. If you read farther, they follow the maintenance plan that you selected. Everyone has these maintenance schedule in their manual. In my case if the manual says change this, it is changed regardless of condition. Over the last few years that includes oil changes, wiper blades, diff/transfer case lube changes, transmission flush, spark plugs, belts, filters and right now they are changing out all the struts, shocks and brakes. (I'm sure most people don't change out these items cause the manual says to). I haven't spent a penny on maintenance except a set of tires. No idea what all this would have cost, but oil changes alone are $1300.
I sort of miss working on this vehicle, but it's also nice to drop it off and let them do what they do. And yes, it's honored at any OEM dealer.

There's a lot of folks out there these days that know nothing about a car except how to start it. Depending on the cost, type of plan and how long you expect to keep the car, it's really not a bad idea. Anyways, just another side of the story.

Last edited:
Back