Seat Extremely Uncomfortable (2013 CX-5 Sport)

...it would cost a pretty penny...

A lot less than that person who posted they swapped the CX5 for a CX9 due to the seat comfort. Not only is that more than the cost of a seat, the lower gas mileage will cost $825/year more (based on 15k miles driven per year, $3.50/gal). Figure $1k/year. Granted the CX9 is more luxurious - if you're into that sort of thing.

A lot less than that person who posted they swapped the CX5 for a CX9 due to the seat comfort. Not only is that more than the cost of a seat, the lower gas mileage will cost $825/year more (based on 15k miles driven per year, $3.50/gal). Figure $1k/year. Granted the CX9 is more luxurious - if you're into that sort of thing.

It would be interesting to see if CX-9 front seats would fit in the CX-5.
I bet the foot print are the same.

At first, I thought the same as you. That seat is terrible! After experimenting with it for several months, I finally found a setting that is good for me. For me, the lever that raises the seat bottom higher or lower has to be all the way down. If I raise it up a bit, it screws everything up.

Keep playing with the adjustments. Not to say your experience will be the same as mine, but I hope you find a comfortable position.

At first, I thought the same as you. That seat is terrible! After experimenting with it for several months, I finally found a setting that is good for me. For me, the lever that raises the seat bottom higher or lower has to be all the way down. If I raise it up a bit, it screws everything up.

Keep playing with the adjustments. Not to say your experience will be the same as mine, but I hope you find a comfortable position.

Me too. It took me a while, but I finally found a position I really like. Small changes in position seem to make more of a difference than I expected.

I also lower the seat to lowest position. Seems any position higher and the entire seat is slightly tilted forward. Its fairly comfortable, but now quit right. The solution would be to slightly tilt entire seat backward and it would be much more comfortable. I've looked under the seats and there are two torq bolts holding entire assembly to floorboard. I'm think of putting 1/4" washer under two front torq bolts and see how it feels.

I've actually developed pain in the knee which depresses the clutch. I've driven plenty of manuals and never had this problem..tried moving the seat back, forward, up, down..there's a difference I can tell between this seat and every other car I've had (1 auto, the rest manual:

- Maxima 95,98,2002: seat is like a bucket, so my knees are elevated above my hips slightly
- Infiniti: much more robust control, knee area gets much more adjustment up+down
- Elantra: no adjustment other than seat lowers or rises, but knees sit slightly higher than hip
- CX-5: no adjustment except up/down, it seems as though the seat is flat like a bench and doesn't arch up high enough. Knee is killing me..tried pushing forward, backwards, lowering, raising...almost miss my other cars.

I find the seat comfortable except for one thing: after about 40 minutes behind the wheel my butt gets sore. I think I've figured out why: the seat bottom is divide into thirds by those deep seams that run parallel to the seat back. If you push down on the seat cushion, you'll notice that the raised areas between seams are quite cushy, while the stitching on that seam is far less resilient. Hence, when you sink down into that cushion, part of your butt is slung over a narrow area of less give.

I'm 200lbs, (although not exceptionally big through the butt or hips), so some of the difference in people's experiences may be weight related-- if you are a lighter person, odds are you won't sink as far into the cushion and you may not encounter the point at which the seam becomes a problem.

I really wish I could fix this, because other than that it's great-- good driving position, great on my back, etc. Maybe I'll look into a small pillow, but I don't really want to raise my position up at all. I half a mind to pull the seat cover and see if I can release that seem a bit somehow. I would gladly trade a less shaped looking seat bottom for a bit more comfort.

I think my seats are really comfortable. Of all the CUVs I test drove I think Mazda has the most comfortable. I haven't gone on any long trips yet with the CX-5, but I hope it is still comfortable after many hours in the saddle. The Forester seats conversly felt like I was in a covered wagon. The seats are too firm and my lower back was so sore after a short 15 minute test drive.

When I looked at the CX5 I could detect a big difference in comfort between the cloth Sport versus cloth Touring seats. Maybe take an extended sit/drive in a Touring and see if it's more agreeable?

I've owned both. Sport for 17K miles and Touring for 15K miles. Except the cloth quality, there is zero difference in comfort between those two.

The cloth quality is much better on the touring.

My opinion of course.

If it dosnt fit you it dosnt fit. I have been there. On my last car I had to take the seat out, take it apart, cut out the steel bolsters and weld in flat plates instead. Big hassle, I bought a spare seat so I had a backup. I needed to do it to be comfortable.

Find a seat you like and put it in or have it put in.
Here is a thread where a guy put in a racing seat. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-does-to-his-CX-5-sport!!!&highlight=Engineer

If you are uncomfortable doing it your self, look around your area and find a place that modifies vehicles for the handicaped they know how to make changes and keep things safe.

Whatever was going on with my seat seems to have been a period of adjustment. After just a few hundred miles I have no complaints.

2015 GT CX-5 Leather seats......Kllis my low back!
I've even gone as far now as asking the dealer to take back the car and put me into another vehicle. Obviously it would have to be another brand to avoid the same trouble with the seats and they only sell Toyota's & mazda's. This option would cost me dearly as I put money down on the lease. Still searching for a cushion that is comfortable (as most stop mid thigh) and fixes my back problem. This week I've switched cars with my husband just to get relief.

Has anyone found a seat cushion to help with the uncomfortable seats??

I'd love to know if you have found anything that works for you.

I find that interesting on the lower back. I know a lot is subjective but I find them quite comfortable. The power lumbar support is probably one of the most aggressive I have had in a long time. The one in my G35x doesn't really have much of an adjustable range.

I find that interesting on the lower back. I know a lot is subjective but I find them quite comfortable. The power lumbar support is probably one of the most aggressive I have had in a long time.
I've been reading these complaints about CX-5 seats for nearly two years now and couldn't relate until just recently. Having developed a case of sciatica in the last couple of months, I'm having difficulty staying seated in any car for more than an hour at a time. The CX-5 is no better than any. My point being, if you don't have any sort of back issues (and sciatica is a form of lower back problem), you're not going to have a clue as to what people are complaining about here. Yes, the lumbar support helps some, but I've come to the conclusion like may here, that CX-5 seats are fraught with peril for some of us.

2015 GT CX-5 Leather seats......Kllis my low back!
I've even gone as far now as asking the dealer to take back the car and put me into another vehicle. Obviously it would have to be another brand to avoid the same trouble with the seats and they only sell Toyota's & mazda's. This option would cost me dearly as I put money down on the lease. Still searching for a cushion that is comfortable (as most stop mid thigh) and fixes my back problem. This week I've switched cars with my husband just to get relief.

Has anyone found a seat cushion to help with the uncomfortable seats??

I'd love to know if you have found anything that works for you.
One persons hell is another persons heaven. I really think the seats are very comfortable for me. I've been on a couple long trips too. Now, any late model Subaru seats are painful as hell to me.

Nothing really compares to the Honda S2000 seats (made by Recaro, I believe) IMNSHO, but... When I was test driving my CX-5 I was initially thinking of just getting cloth seats since I thought leather would get too hot when you leave the car parked in the sun. But I thought the seats were just too soft and did not think they offered a lot of support. On the suggestion of the sales guy I upgraded to leather (Katzkins) and I am actually quite happy with the result. Relatively firm, good support, and if you so desire they can actually add a little more padding during the install. Heat is not a major problem either. I'd recommend them.

I've been reading these complaints about CX-5 seats for nearly two years now and couldn't relate until just recently. Having developed a case of sciatica in the last couple of months, I'm having difficulty staying seated in any car for more than an hour at a time. The CX-5 is no better than any. My point being, if you don't have any sort of back issues (and sciatica is a form of lower back problem), you're not going to have a clue as to what people are complaining about here. Yes, the lumbar support helps some, but I've come to the conclusion like may here, that CX-5 seats are fraught with peril for some of us.

Personally I don't have back issues but my wife does and this was something that could have been a deal breaker as well. She had concerns this one didn't have memory seats like our other car since it takes her a while to dial in the correct setting that feels right.

Not disregarding your issues at all. Hopefully you can find some third party add-ons for the seat to make it better.

Back