Rust bubble on roof

madar

Contributor
:
2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB
Looks like something chipped the paint on the roof between the driver's side doors and now I'm getting some bubbling around the area about the size of half a penny. Haven't decided whether I'll sand and touch it up or visit my favorite body shop. View attachment 208201

The dealer won't do anything about that unless the metal is perforated. That looks like a deep rock chip that sat unprotected for a bit too long.

Take it to the dealer. My guess s that they will document the spot, and want to watch its progress. If it s starts to grow they will do something about it, but don't expect satisfaction right off the bat.

The dealer won't do anything about that unless the metal is perforated.
That's an interesting statement, and I hope you don't mind if I explore it a bit... I'm not defending or attacking either position, but just exploring them...

Any rust spot, if left alone, it eventually perforate the metal. While I'm not familiar with the metal used for the CX5, it doesn't seem unreasonable that the thinner metal, regardless of it being "high strength", would perforate sooner.

So, should the OP just wait a little longer for the metal to perforate and THEN bring it to the dealer when it's more of a problem? Or, could the argument be made that the rust spot is a clear sign of imminent perforation, and therefore should be fixed by the dealership?

I can't seem to find the mazda cx-5 warranty booklet online, so I'm not sure how they word things. (That's interesting. I can find all the manuals on the mazda website, but not the warranty book? hmm..)

Edit: so, went to my car and looked at the booklet in there. As long as the corrosion can't be proved to be due to something specifically excluded, and as long as the hole appears within the first 60 months of ownership, it should be covered. The question of imminent perforation is probably best left to lawyers. ;)

Last edited:
Doubt it's a dealer issue any more than if someone dinged your door in a parking lot and chipped the paint causing rust to form, still might be an avenue worth going down. Had the vehicle for 16 months so it wasn't there when I bought it. I haven't been able to give it a good wash and wax for quite a few weeks, been busy with the grandkids and work and all. Decided to start waxing it a few days ago and came on that spot. Appreciate all comments.

In all seriousness, deal with it as soon as possible. Left to itself, it will spread and destroy.

In all seriousness, deal with it as soon as possible. Left to itself, it will spread and destroy.

Yep, going to get an estimate tomorrow. I have this particular body shop in mine that has done immaculate work for me before. My CX5 has been hit in the rear twice and they've done fantastic jobs matching the paint and with panel alignment. They specialize with BMW and Lexus. So, we'll see what they say. Can't be that much.

My CX5 has been hit in the rear twice and they've done fantastic jobs matching the paint and with panel alignment.

Thinking about keeping this in receiver when I am not towing anything.

BUMP_Step_Hero.jpg

Thinking about keeping this in receiver when I am not towing anything.

BUMP_Step_Hero.jpg
I've been hit in the rear 4 times in the last 7 years, including the totaling of 2 of my cars. I can tell you without a doubt, that isn't going to stop anything. My first rear end accident with my CX5 was from another CX5, the back door took most of the damage.

I've been hit in the rear 4 times in the last 7 years, including the totaling of 2 of my cars. I can tell you without a doubt, that isn't going to stop anything. My first rear end accident with my CX5 was from another CX5, the back door took most of the damage.

Don't get me wrong.... I realize this is for slow speed mishaps in the parking lot. No doubt this will do anything in a serious rear end collision.

Last 2 accidents were slow speed. The Mazda that hit me was doing less than 25, caused $3k in damage. The one after that just sort of rolled into me while I was at a stop light- was changing music on his I-phone. Bumper cover got ripped in that one, $700 to get a new one and painted. Might be good for a parking lot, though...

I'm just thinking this for when someone bumps you in a park space. I've been in some decent collisions. Only one in a Mazda. An elderly woman the week befor 9/11 rear ended our '96 Protege at a 4 way stop. It totalled her '85 Pontiac 6000 but only tore the bumper cover up on Mazda and popped the trunk open. That was a great little car. We got rid of it when we bought the '07 G35X.

Body shop guy said to try the dealer first to see if it's a warranty issue. Said it could be an issue underneath the paint causing the chipping rather than something external. I actually found another spot near the windshield doing the same thing. He said he never really saw a rust bubble from debris way back in the middle of the car on the roof. He said it would be an expensive repair- whole roof panel should be refinished, headliner would have to come down to get at the antenna for removal (guess they don't like to mask things off), windshield seal would have to come off for painting, etc. Didn't get a dollar amount, so off to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

You are correct,this will not stop the damage. In fact, sometimes, in lower speed collisions, the presence of a hitch-mounted accessory can amplify damage. This happens because the bumper is not allowed to absorb the energy, it gets transferred (and concentrated) through the hitch to the unibody. I have seen crumpling in wierd places, like along the roof line/window area on compact unibody SUVs due to this.

Took it back to the dealer and had the factory rep look at this, went nowhere like I thought it would. The gentleman didn’t even see the break in the paint, he thought something got on it like maybe birdcrap and started eating away at it. Said Mazda isn’t responsible for external causing problems. He suggested a comprehensive claim under my insurance since the car is not even 2 years old, so that’s exactly what I did. Said a lot of times something like this will be covered by insurance. Roof will be refinished in a few weeks for the price of my comp deductible. Needless to say, I will be a lot more attentive to make sure problems like this don’t get out of hand again.

Took it back to the dealer and had the factory rep look at this, went nowhere like I thought it would. The gentleman didn’t even see the break in the paint, he thought something got on it like maybe birdcrap and started eating away at it. Said Mazda isn’t responsible for external causing problems. He suggested a comprehensive claim under my insurance since the car is not even 2 years old, so that’s exactly what I did. Said a lot of times something like this will be covered by insurance. Roof will be refinished in a few weeks for the price of my comp deductible. Needless to say, I will be a lot more attentive to make sure problems like this don’t get out of hand again.

Why did you think otherwise?

Back