Rounded off oil drain plug, need help!

mysleeper6

:
2006 Mazdaspeed6
My fianc has a 2004 Volvo S60 which she has always taken to Valvoline or Jiffy Lube for oil changes, with predictable results: the drain plug (17mm) is rounded off and way to tight. I bought the stuff to do an oil change, but cannot get the plug off. Barring better advice from here, my new strategy is to take it to JL one more time, let them get the damn thing off and have them re-install a new (supplied by me) drain plug WITHOUT A FRIGGING IMPACT WRENCH! After that, I would be able to do the changes myself. So, the question is: how do I get the drain plug off? It will hold a boxend at certain angles, but not at one where I can get any torque, or a cheater on the wrench. I do not have access to a lift, but I could get an impact wrench if anyone thinks that would work (I'm afraid it might round it off completely). Thoughts?

Get a bolt out kit from Sears, I have gotten bolts off that were almost perfectly round with this kit. Bought it for 1 bolt and has been used multiple times since.

Another thing you can do is get a 12-point SAE socket, just smaller than the bolt, and tap it on with a hammer. This is the same way thieves get wheel locks off without the key!

take it back to JF and dont say a word, they have extra drain plugs and as long as the yellow tamper seal isnt broken they will fix it

Back