Rolled fenders fail

This is where I have rented from: http://www.rollyourfender.com/

Kind of a ghetto website, but the guy was quick to reply to emails and ship it out, and he let me keep it for an extra few days no charge. There's a rental fee, plus a refundable deposit, which is typical. You might save a few bucks by checking around at local shops... typically places that specialize in tinting, custom body work, or specialize in the "tuner" scene will have them.

Also, I would NOT use that clamp-style one from amazon. The trick to the ones that mount to the hub is that you can control the amount of force you're applying, as well as the angle at which you apply the force. You can also gradually form the entire fender lip smoothly, instead of 2" at a time.

Last edited:
i saw that when eastwood came out with it but it doesnt seem like it would work
the lip on the fender is pretty thick so it would be hard to roll like that, eastwood has an actual fender roller too btw

I used a baseball bat on my last car. Stuck it between the tire and fender and had a friend push the car forward. It worked, but cracked the paint. I had it resprayed, but after 3 years there was rust coming from behind the roll. The roll was trapping road dirt where I wasn't able to repaint it or wash it out and caused the fender lip to rust through. Make sure you use some seam sealer behind the roll to keep crap out of it.

I think the heat gun and rubber mallet would work if you take your time, or if you had a dremel you could just cut the arch inside the fender completely off and never worry about it again.

i rolled mine flat with a heat gun and 5 lb dumbell, just slowly heat and apply force.

then get some por15 and cake it on before it all starts to rust.

The fender rolling tools are a piece of cake to use. I had never used one in my life, and it took me less than 2 hours from opening the box to done. I mean, there's a reason people shell out 80 bucks to rent them instead of using $10 worth of PCV pipe.

x2

This is why I own one. ;)

anyone thats done this mod...post close up pics of your work...and take a pic of where the fender meets the plastic bumper...

I think the heat gun and rubber mallet would work if you take your time, or if you had a dremel you could just cut the arch inside the fender completely off and never worry about it again.

Mine are rolled currently, and I just installed BC coils and 5mm spacers on my 18x8.5" +48 (now +43) SVN's with 235/40's and I have some slight slight rubbage on the very edge of the tire, it rubs so slightly that all it does is take the dirt off the tire when I do rub, cause the tire is hitting the curved part where its rolled, so it doesn't scrape the tire. Still, the noise is annoying, so I am going to try to do something to roll them or modify them more. If I dremel out the lip of the fender, will it screw up everything? I have a dremel tool and I can definately do this, but I don't want to jack up my fender accidentally trying to give myself more clearance. Ideally, I want to make it flat to where the tire doesn't even come close to contacting the fender. Anyone know?

IF u do decide to cut it make sure u prime the inner lip and paint so it will not rust on u....my .02cents
Mine are rolled currently, and I just installed BC coils and 5mm spacers on my 18x8.5" +48 (now +43) SVN's with 235/40's and I have some slight slight rubbage on the very edge of the tire, it rubs so slightly that all it does is take the dirt off the tire when I do rub, cause the tire is hitting the curved part where its rolled, so it doesn't scrape the tire. Still, the noise is annoying, so I am going to try to do something to roll them or modify them more. If I dremel out the lip of the fender, will it screw up everything? I have a dremel tool and I can definately do this, but I don't want to jack up my fender accidentally trying to give myself more clearance. Ideally, I want to make it flat to where the tire doesn't even come close to contacting the fender. Anyone know?

Damn, I got quoted that for each side in the rear lol

i think he needs to hook you up better...especially for how good of a customer you are of his...youre the only mazda guy locally that supports him...its like come on throw nick a bone, jesus...

Actually that quote was from another shop lol, Ray didn't offer to go lower and I'm working with a tight budget lol

Back