Right Side Handbrake cable replacement (e-brake, parking brake) Dorman C660769

:
'12 Mazda5 GT
:
‘17 CX-5 GT
Just some info. for anyone with broken/seized handbrake cable issue....(2012 Mazda5 GT, Canada, 6 speed MT)

TLDR: Dorman C660769 fits/works perfectly for RHS.

Mine was sticking, so replaced the caliper (overdue anyway) and the right side brake cable. I wanted a cheaper option than the entire OEM assembly from the dealer. Tried to find an aftermarket one, but kept coming up empty. I even asked Dorman if they could look it up for me - they got back to me very quickly and said "we don't make one for that vehicle". But I don't give up easily. So after a LOT of looking up part numbers and numerous confusing superscedences I came up with a USD$22 cable, Dorman Part# C660769. When it arrived, it looks promising but couldn't be sure it was absolutely 100% correct. NOTE: This cable is apparently only for 2006/7/8 Mazda 5's, not a 2012 like mine.

When installing, it went surprising well given all the small exposed studs/nuts/bolt heads. Until I got to the cable anchor (nipple) at the front end. It is outside the car and thus had corroded into the metal bar that equalizes the pressure across the left & right cables. So I had to drill it out, and yes, that was as awkward as it sounds. But after pulling the old cable out I compared it to the new Dorman cable that "does not fit". I found it to be absolutely IDENTICAL, including diameter, length, all mounting clips/locations, etc. and so far seems to be working perfectly.

Back