Resuming Playback with 2014 CX-5 GT Tech Stereo and other issues

I have to agree that its pretty annoying. Also, would be nice to have file-level folder listing like any other MP3 player in the car. Sure would help with large number of music.

yeah that was a complaint my wife had in her cx5 was that the shuffle seemed to 'like' playing some songs more than others, and i have noticed in mine that it seems like i'll hear the same songs more than once and some hardly at all... we both have 13's

Yep, I'll often comment that the car is liking a handful of artists more than others as it will play songs from the same album again in less than an hour with 40+ different albums to choose from. I'll forget I have some albums on the USB drive after awhile because it just won't get to them but will play most of the songs from another.

Computers can't actually do a real random selection so whatever it uses for a calculation to pick the next song must lead it back to similar or the same ones.

The post on Edmunds about the system has disappeared. Wonder what that means.

that is weird, I've never seen one disappear on there before. Could be a glitch in their system since they recently moved things and have had several bugs but it does seem odd.

I did a little more experimenting today with my 2013 CX-9 and tried an old iPod Video (5th Generation I believe) hooked into the USB. No surprise, same result. I noticed that after I shut down the vehicle and accessed the iPod directly, it remained in the position I left off. But as soon as I reconnect and turn the vehicle back on it resets everything. So (no surprise), it's definitely something with when it initially reads the files off of the drive when you first turn it on.

This just gets me more fired up every time I play with it because it is obviously such an oversight on Mazda's part and they need to fix it. It is ruining what has otherwise been a good experience with a new vehicle.

I think we all need to email Mazda multiple times with multiple email addresses.

I did a little more experimenting today with my 2013 CX-9 and tried an old iPod Video (5th Generation I believe) hooked into the USB. No surprise, same result. I noticed that after I shut down the vehicle and accessed the iPod directly, it remained in the position I left off. But as soon as I reconnect and turn the vehicle back on it resets everything. So (no surprise), it's definitely something with when it initially reads the files off of the drive when you first turn it on.

This just gets me more fired up every time I play with it because it is obviously such an oversight on Mazda's part and they need to fix it. It is ruining what has otherwise been a good experience with a new vehicle.

I think we all need to email Mazda multiple times with multiple email addresses.

I would be annoyed as hell too. What's pissing me off is now I'm looking at $45,000 cars that have all the same features as the CX-9 which I could have bought for $35K had the ipod interface worked.

I would be annoyed as hell too. What's pissing me off is now I'm looking at $45,000 cars that have all the same features as the CX-9 which I could have bought for $35K had the ipod interface worked.
It's annoying, but it's certainly not worth an extra $10k. Just suck it up and hope it gets worked out. Worst case you could always put an aftermarket in there. I'm actually finding myself using the Pandora service more often anyway.

I was told by my dealer that the head unit is made by Johnson Controls. They have a page on their website where you can send complaints regarding any problems with their products. I did fill out a complaint but have not heard back. I am hoping someone can resolve this being such a pain in the arse and should be a simple fix you'd think.

Update coming Soon!

I was sent this response from Mazda customer support.

"This email is in response to your question when you restart your vehicle and the song does not resume.

Please check the www.mazdausa.com/bluetooth website for more information and compatible devices to use with your vehicle. Also we may advise to test other devices to confirm if this is a result of the device or how your system is designed."

Although this does not answer my question to them or help me in any way I did follow the link. While searching through compatible devices I noticed there is a comment tab in the column of compatible features. If you click on that tab this is what it says.

"While playing music through the USB cable and turning the power off or switching from the IPOD to FM,AM,SIRIUS or CD the device will lose it's connection and not play music until you unplug the cable and plug the cable back into the device. Do not do this while driving. An update for your vehicle will be available soon.Check back for details."

Hopefully this means a fix is in the works.

That's the first report we have seen where Mazda admitted the problem. Sounds promising, although I'm leaning toward getting a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee now instead, although it has its share of early production issues too.

That's the first report we have seen where Mazda admitted the problem. Sounds promising, although I'm leaning toward getting a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee now instead, although it has its share of early production issues too.
I'm not getting my hopes up. The problem they are admitting to sounds different to me and I haven't experienced it. They are claiming if you power off or switch modes the device "will lose it's connection and not play music until you unplug the cable and plug the cable back into the device". I don't have that problem.

Hopefully whatever is causing that problem (if it even truly exists) is related to the resume playback problem.

Does anyone know if the resume playback from USB connection confined to only models with the Tech package or all head units other than the unit in the Sport trim for the CX-5?

I'm going to be getting a '14 CX-5 GT without the Tech package by the end of summer or early fall regardless. I'm a music nut and always drive with it but I've made good with using an AUX connection for years, so this won't be a deal breaker for me, it would just be nice if the USB connection glitch gets sorted out. As much of an annoyance this may seem, it doesn't overpower all of the upsides to this great car, especially with the new 2.5L motor.

The problem exists on mine, which is a 2014 Touring with Bose/Moonroof package only. No Tech package on mine. It does not resume playback and it needs to be re-plugged any time the mode is changed away from iPod and back, or if the stereo is turned off and then back on. Without re-plugging it, it does nothing at all.

Mazda need to stay away from Johnson head unit next time and go with pioneer or alpine decks. More proven products.

experienced the problem today for the first time. been having problems with bluetooth and pandora (a subject for another thread (rolleyes) ) so I loaded up a usb stick. yup everytime i start the car it loses my place and starts playing the first song alphabetically! same song, everytime, starts with an A.

so annoying.

if pandora worked properly i wouldnt mind as much, but even that sucks.

experienced the problem today for the first time. been having problems with bluetooth and pandora (a subject for another thread (rolleyes) ) so I loaded up a usb stick. yup everytime i start the car it loses my place and starts playing the first song alphabetically! same song, everytime, starts with an A.

so annoying.

if pandora worked properly i wouldnt mind as much, but even that sucks.
What problems are you having with Pandora? Pandora's been pretty good in my 2013 CX-9. Once or twice it paused briefly and picked back up again.

Today I tried loading all my music onto a USB stick, and it was an improvement, but still not right. Previously I tried an iPod Nano, Mini, and Touch, all with the same results: It loses its place if you switch to another mode (Such as FM), or turn off the stereo, or turn off the car. With the USB stick, only the last condition remains. It will now resume perfectly after switching to another mode or if the stereo is turned off with no problems. But it still starts at track #1 if the car is turned off and back on.

Not great, but at least an improvement.

Today I tried loading all my music onto a USB stick, and it was an improvement, but still not right. Previously I tried an iPod Nano, Mini, and Touch, all with the same results: It loses its place if you switch to another mode (Such as FM), or turn off the stereo, or turn off the car. With the USB stick, only the last condition remains. It will now resume perfectly after switching to another mode or if the stereo is turned off with no problems. But it still starts at track #1 if the car is turned off and back on.

Not great, but at least an improvement.
Ah okay, that explains why I haven't experienced the problem (other than turning car off) in my 2013 CX-9. I've used a USB stick since day one.

I had a '13 CX5 and didn't have the issue. Now that I have a '14, It does go back to first song. Emailed Mazda and perhaps this is designed?

"Thank you for contacting Mazda regarding your 2014 MAZDA CX-5. I am sorry to hear that you are having this concern with your audio system. The USB does start from the beginning on the 2014 CX-5. You can take your Mazda to a local dealer to ensure it is operating correctly. I will document your concern for our corporate records which is reviewed by our product planning department."

Asked about software updates and none are available yet.

(screwy)
I had a '13 CX5 and didn't have the issue. Now that I have a '14, It does go back to first song. Emailed Mazda and perhaps this is designed?

"Thank you for contacting Mazda regarding your 2014 MAZDA CX-5. I am sorry to hear that you are having this concern with your audio system. The USB does start from the beginning on the 2014 CX-5. You can take your Mazda to a local dealer to ensure it is operating correctly. I will document your concern for our corporate records which is reviewed by our product planning department."

Asked about software updates and none are available yet.

Tell them there must be a problem with your cd player then because it doesn't start at track 1 disc 1 everytime you start the car. (screwy)

I emailed about the same issue 3 weeks ago and got a call back yesterday from Mazda USA rep named Jean. I explained the issue but she didn't seem to know any info as to whether it's being researched or if corporate is really aware of the problem. I asked her to elevate the issue up the ladder but I'm sure it fell on deaf ears. I'd keep emailing them till the message gets through.

Back