Reprogramming keyless remote/entry fob transmitter - with a twist?

:
'12 Mazda5 GT
:
‘17 CX-5 GT
Hello:

Lots of talk here about keyless entry remote fob programming etc. but I do think I've seen this exact scenario before...

I have a 2012 Mazda 5 which I recently purchased used, but I only have one keyless entry remote. I want to use a spare keyless remote fob I have from my old 2008 Mazda 5 for this 2012. Both keyless remotes are the SKE12501 model. Is it possible to reprogram my OLD remote so it will work with the NEW vehicle? I should note that I dont want it to work with BOTH vehicles, just the new 2012. I no longer have the 2008 vehicle, just the keyless fob.

If this can be done, and I get a new blade/flip key cut at the same time, presumably the keyless remote will work for the doors and the key will actually start the car...???

I asked local Mazda dealer and they said they could try but at $53+tax for the keyless programming (not including supply and cut new key portion) Id like a higher degree of certainty that it will work. Anybody tried this before?

Thank you very much.

No, have not tried. since this is a dealer only option, they better try and get it working :)
I theory same part numbers emit the same signal and should be able to be programmed.
All they do is go to dealer level computer, enable key programming and press a button in a remote, that's it.

The answer to your question is yes. The old fob will program to your new vehicle as long as the fob is still in good working order.
Hint: check your owner's manual. The procedure for programming your fob should be in there. You can do it yourself.

Last edited:
The answer to your question is yes. The old fob will program to your new vehicle as long as the fob is still in good working order.
Hint: check your owner's manual. The procedure for programming your fob should be in there. You can do it yourself.

You need two to program a 3rd. I don't think you can do 2nd with only one in hand. did I miss read something?

You need two to program a 3rd. I don't think you can do 2nd with only one in hand. did I miss read something?

No, if you only have one, the dealer has to do it. If you have two, you can a third on your own. When I had my second programmed, I think the dealer charged me $50 or $80?? Can't quite remember.

Correct. To program a second fob, dealer must do it. To program a third fob, you can do it as long as you have two already programmed.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I have delved further into it with a dealer and here is the jist of the response:

They will attempt the reprogram, if it did not work they would NOT charge for it, which I thought was reasonable.

If it did work, then the charge would be C$53.00 + tax would be charged.

However, a new key alone would cost C$106+tax

Thus, supply, cut, and program a key plus, in conjunction with programming the fob, would cost $182.54 + tax

Digging through the emails and descriptions again, something is slightly off with their math, but it should give others a sense of what it costs, at least here in Ontario, Canada.

However, this gives me the impression the KEY itself also needs to be programmed. Although, it doesn't appear there is anything in the flip key portion (not the button portion) that would need to be programmed.

I assumed a properly programmed fob would UNLOCK the car, thus switching OFF the security system, and allow a plain old key to START the car. But surely if they are charging over $100 for the key portion, there must be more to it. I was hoping a cheapie ebay flip key, cut at a local locksmith for a couple of bucks, would work with a freshly programmed fob? But it appears this is not the case, or am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks again.

Guys, you can program just one fob. It's the key itself that you have to have 2 existing to program yourself. To program the fobs you just need to do them all together because it erases any old ones when you do a programming procedure.

Ah, well, so loosenut's answer above seems to imply that the generic ebay keys are HIGHLY unlikely to work a they do also require programming, separate and in addition to the keyless entry fob. I didn't think there were any electronics inside the key portion, but it appears there is.

Anybody know a good auto locksmith in Toronto, ON?

Back