Replica wheels VS. OEM wheels

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
This is just more of what we already know, but I thought it was interesting to see the tests and the imperfections in the replicas.

Take home point: Replicas and other cheap wheels are usually lower in quality. Do your due diligence to ensure that the wheels you buy are manufactured by a company that values quality over price, whether they are OEM wheels or aftermarket wheels.

Or, buy replicas if you want to save money. It's your car after all! :)

(a) pay extra on your car insurance for genuine parts.
(b) buy aftermarket wheels from a reputable retailer.

Most of those tests in the video show basic testing, nothing to do with the failed or below-spec wheel.

Most of those tests in the video show basic testing, nothing to do with the failed or below-spec wheel.

What do you mean? They test a genuine wheel and a replica of the same wheel. The replica is shown to have more casting imperfections. There is one test that is shown at the 2:00 mark that doesn't relate to the wheels (as far as I can tell), but every other test either shows a comparison between genuine and replica, or implies that the replica fails where the genuine does not (like the impact test at 1:00).

Wheels are a safety item, but there are reputable companies making aftermarket replica wheels. For example Advant Garde makes some replica wheels, but they are high quality.

The impact test of a metal sample piece with the pendulum device tells us nothing about that wheel. Nor does the hardness test of a sample nor the chemical composition. Nor the pulling of the test bar for yield strength. If they actually used metal from the counterfeit wheel, that would be one thing. What they showed is just a range of tests common to any testing lab. The one thing they seemed to actually show was the microscopic examination--that might have been real for that wheel. Implications do not count. We need to see real testing of the real counterfeit wheel. I'm not denying that there are actual problem parts out there...I'm saying that this video does little to make that point.

The impact test of a metal sample piece with the pendulum device tells us nothing about that wheel. Nor does the hardness test of a sample nor the chemical composition. Nor the pulling of the test bar for yield strength. If they actually used metal from the counterfeit wheel, that would be one thing. What they showed is just a range of tests common to any testing lab. The one thing they seemed to actually show was the microscopic examination--that might have been real for that wheel. Implications do not count. We need to see real testing of the real counterfeit wheel. I'm not denying that there are actual problem parts out there...I'm saying that this video does little to make that point.

• Pothole test
  • Piece used in impact test was cut from a spoke of the replica (shown in the video thumbnail)
  • Visible pitting and casting imperfections on the back of the replica that were circled

For a 2:30 video, it shows plenty. If that's not good enough for you, no worries. You're more than capable of doing your own research and finding a documented test process that satisfies you, and posting it here.

For most everyone else, the pothole test is more than enough to drive the point home.

Back