Replaced headrests with.....

advan1

:
Mazda CX9 GT
....a set from a 2004 (?) Acura MDX. I was in Maryland a few weeks ago visiting my folks and came across a set of black leatherette headrests in my father's garage. He's into street rods and a purchased a set of bucket seats for one of his cars. He doesnt like headrest so he usually removes them. When I came across them I thought, hey, these look similar to the ones in the CX9. So I grabbed one, dusted it off, and went to my drivers seat and removed my headrest....and wouldn't you know, it fit perfectly! The only difference is the steel bars are a little longer, but they still slid in with no problem...they even adjust and lock into position. What I like most is the fact that they don't push my head forward...what I like MORE is the fact that they were free!

I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Very cool, can you please post some pics,

I know exactly what you mean about the OEM headrests pushing driver's head forward at an awkward angle,
I replaced mine with free 2014 Ford explorer headrests I got from my buddy, they are a lot more comfortable.

They weren't plug and play like yours though, I had to ream the CX9 headrest plastic sleeves to get them to fit,
it wasn't an easy process but hey the leather headrests were free with ratcheting 12 position adjustment.

Also, the Explorer headrest stem notch still locks in place like the oem and the black leather color and stitching matches perfectly.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123841614-2014-Ford-Explorer-4-way-adjustable-headrest-in-CX-9&highlight=headrest

Last edited:
Looks great ! That headrest angle looks to be more natural and comfortable for the driver.

Just a question though, are you positive it's from an Acura MDX, the ones on eBay looks different, the angle and stitching pattern and post diameter don't look the same, please see attached picture: Screenshot_2015-07-10-20-22-28.png

Thx

Last edited:
Hmmm..

Looks great ! That headrest angle looks to be more natural and comfortable for the driver.

Just a question though, are you positive it's from an Acura MDX, the ones on eBay looks different, the angle and stitching pattern and post diameter don't look the same, please see attached picture: View attachment 211573

Thx

Honestly, I can only say what my father told me. I'll see if he can find an invoice or something for the seats; he purchased them several years ago. But you're right, those do look a lot different from the ones I have...

Back