Remote start options for 2018 CX-9?

:
Mazda CX-9
I bought used from a family friend who was moving overseas. Huge upgrade from the 2008 Acadia I was driving, and I assumed it would have at LEAST the tech-y advancements that that vehicle had. So I casually asked seller if it had remote start from key fob and he said, yes, just push the lock button 3x. This is actually such an important feature to me that I would have passed on the great deal if I had known it didn't have. I'm sure I don't have to tell you, this information appears to be wrong. I will not be buying whatever that thing is that costs $500 and then you have to subscribe annually after first year. I've seen some talk of after market products/systems, but honestly I'm just really ticked that MAZDA (of all people) wouldn't have something included that GMC had 10 years earlier! Any advice about the best way to go about getting remote start? Would rather deal with an extra key fob than with going through my phone, if that makes any difference. Thanks! (PS thanks for your patience - I did try to search the site for other posts, but it seemed like such a rabbit hole for a non-techy person like me.)

Mazda invested into the phone remote start, but it is pretty terrible. Thankfully there are a lot of good aftermarket remote start option, that aren't that expensive. With or without an extra key fob. I have a fortin remote start myself.

This thread has good general info:

This thread is all about the Fortin remote start model, including how to install it if you wish to do it yourself.

The links youri posted contain some very valuable info. If you're not interested in a DIY install, you can go through a local 3rd party installer who can suggest some options for you. I like the Fortin option as it allows you to use your existing keyfob, but if you want 2-way communication or a longer range, there are a lot of options available.

I see no reason to be pissed at Mazda. They never claimed to have the same remote start that GMC has. You should be taking issue with the family friend who sold you the vehicle and lied to you about it.

Are you sure it doesn't have? If the seller got it as a dealer accessory, you can try LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK to activate. And it's touchy on timing, not too fast or slow. So give it a few tries.

Be sure before spending $.

Last edited:
Are you sure it doesn't have? If the seller got it as a dealer accessory, you can try LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK to activate. And it's touchy on timing, not too fast or low. So give it a few tries.

Be sure before spending $.
GTA-CX9 is right. assuming you haven't tried the 3 x LOCK sequence. If not try it as well. The aftermarket remote starters works with either of these combinations on the OEM key fob.

Back