Reliabilty opinion please

obiwan99

:
Mazda CX-9 2010 AWD
Hi,
New member here.

I am considering to purchase a used 2010 CX9 GS FWD with 170,000km or 106,000 miles for $9800 CDN to replace my 2008 Kia Rondo. I have an appointment to see the car and test drive it this week. Pics shows it to be clean and in good condition but will see it this week to confirm. I estimate that I will put about 8,000 miles per year including a 3500 mile yearly vacation trip on this car. So not much mileage. I have other cars that I used primarily in the summer and my wife has hers. This car is to really serve as a family car as we are a family of 5 for when we go on trips or I have errands to make requiring carrying large items.

I read posts regarding the AWD transfer case problems so I've decided to stay away from AWD and search for a FWD model. Not much used FWD CX-9 here in Montreal within the price range I'm looking for. Ideally AWD would be better as we do get a lot of snow and ice here in Montreal but FWD is fine.

So I'm looking for opinions on a 2010 CX-9 GS FWD reliability. Is 106,000 miles too high of a mileage? I'm looking to keep the car for maybe 4-5 years and as I said putting only 8K miles per year. Any issues I need to watch out for? Any annoying items such as creaking sounds that can't be found/fixed? Any rust issues? I am mechanically inclined so I do all of the usual maintenance/repairs, i.e. oil changes, brakes, etc but curious if this car is expensive to maintain.

I appreciate any feedback from members.
Thanks.

One thing that shouldn't be a major maintenance item but is on a CX9 is the water pump. Extremely difficult swap on that part.

I wouldn't be scared of the transfer case as long as you're willing to do the fluid swap yourself every 20-25k miles or so. The transfer cases are popping because Mazda/Ford are claiming the fluid is good for the life of the vehicle when it clearly isn't. After about 40k the oil turns to sludge and fails to properly lubricate the gears. The change procedure is well documented by a member on here if you search.

I wouldn't be scared of the transfer case as long as you're willing to do the fluid swap yourself every 20-25k miles or so. The transfer cases are popping because Mazda/Ford are claiming the fluid is good for the life of the vehicle when it clearly isn't. After about 40k the oil turns to sludge and fails to properly lubricate the gears. The change procedure is well documented by a member on here if you search.

Agreed 100% with eskimo. I'm absolutely confident we solved the transfer case issue with regular maintenance of changing the oil.
I've had no issues after swapping out the oil at around 35,000 and 60,000 miles (it's not a big deal, like changing the engine oil)

There's nothing wrong mechanically with the transfer case, it's well documented that the OEM oil is breaking down around the 40,000 mark.
Mazda/Ford should have provided a drain plug and made it a regular maintenance requirement like all the other manufacturers.

In fact, I read somewhere that some Ford Edge (middle East only) transfer cases come with drain plugs !! which implies Ford knows about the problem and oil should be changed.

With regards to OP's original request on reliability, I've found the CX-9 to be a pretty darn good vehicle.
No major issues except these minor gripes:

1) AWD transfer case (fixed) but I wouldn't buy a used high mileage AWD CX-9, chances are the original driver never changed the oil.
2) clogged A/C evaporator drain (twice now in two years) but easily fixed with can of compressed air
{search how-to section for AC drain fix}
3) driver side buffering wind noise (fixed) {search on forum for easy fix}
4) fast brake pad wear (brakes are undersized for the CX-9 IMHO)
5) fuel economy
6) Mazda recommends spark plugs changed at 60,000, my previous cars didn't require this so soon.
7) as Eskimo said, water pump

Last edited:
Thank You eskimo and avidien. Well, I had a list of 3 cars to see and I pulled the trigger on a white 2010 CX9 AWD with leather interior and 150,000km for $12000 CDN plus 1,500$ third party warranty (motor, powertrain, A/C..etc) which I was told will include the water pump and the transfer case for 3 years 60,000Km. I test drove all three and it's the first ever mazda I will own. I'll soon get all the paperwork which I will confim if what I was told is correct. Thank You to you both. I am pretty excited and your feedback has help me made this decision with some comfort. Hope to get it in a week. ;)

Here's some pics.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Congrats. When my wife and I were shopping there were two local ones I wanted to look at, a white one that I wanted and the dolphin gray that we now own. Since it's her daily driver and she said "I hate white cars" I knew that one was a losing battle. :)

Agreed 100% with eskimo. I'm absolutely confident we solved the transfer case issue with regular maintenance of changing the oil.
I've had no issues after swapping out the oil at around 35,000 and 60,000 miles (it's not a big deal, like changing the engine oil)

There's nothing wrong mechanically with the transfer case, it's well documented that the OEM oil is breaking down around the 40,000 mark.
Mazda/Ford should have provided a drain plug and made it a regular maintenance requirement like all the other manufacturers.

In fact, I read somewhere that some Ford Edge (middle East only) transfer cases come with drain plugs !! which implies Ford knows about the problem and oil should be changed.

With regards to OP's original request on reliability, I've found the CX-9 to be a pretty darn good vehicle.
No major issues except these minor gripes:

1) AWD transfer case (fixed) but I wouldn't buy a used high mileage AWD CX-9, chances are the original driver never changed the oil.
2) clogged A/C evaporator drain (twice now in two years) but easily fixed with can of compressed air
{search how-to section for AC drain fix}
3) driver side buffering wind noise (fixed) {search on forum for easy fix}
4) fast brake pad wear (brakes are undersized for the CX-9 IMHO)
5) fuel economy
6) Mazda recommends spark plugs changed at 60,000, my previous cars didn't require this so soon.
7) as Eskimo said, water pump

forgot to add:

8) IMHO I found the OEM Bridgestone Duelers totally unacceptable in the rain/snow, I slid at the slightest braking,
I swapped them out asap, any potential buyers should account cost for new tires when purchasing.

I agree with Avidien. The Duelers really limit the CX-9's performance in snow. I will also swap these out to a different tire once the stock ones wear out.

I'm at 105,000 and no major problems. Had the front bearings replaced at about 30,000 miles but nothing since then. The car is definitely less tight at this point. More rattles have made their way into the cabin. As mentioned above, the A/C drain clogs from time to time. Every 2 years or so but not age related.

The white one looks familiar. Just bought my wife a 2011 GT AWD that looks identical.. She's in love, and i don't mean with me. Beautiful car. 2011, all the toys, around 75000 km.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

forgot to add:

8) IMHO I found the OEM Bridgestone Duelers totally unacceptable in the rain/snow, I slid at the slightest braking,
I swapped them out asap, any potential buyers should account cost for new tires when purchasing.
+1 here. I now have a set of Dueler Ecopias, but I didn't get much opportunity last winter to verify the Tire Rack snow ratings.

Well, I finally picked her up last night and what can I say, I'm pretty happy with the purchase. This is my first mazda and my first SUV. Wife is also pretty excited about it. She drives a 2008 honda accord EXL V6, bought new in 2008 and still only have 40K miles. At any rate, she grabs the CX9 keys off my hands and hops in driver seats... says to me ok let's see what this baby can do, hop in. All througout the drive, I heard nothing but positive remarks on how she loves how it drives and the way the interiour looks and feels. She then tells me that she may trade her honda accord and get one also but newer like a 2015/2016 model year.... oh boy... what have I started...(hand)(hand)(hand)

One thing though, the dealer only gave me one key (flip key w/remote). Do they only come with one as a standard? I asked about it and he tells me that the car only has one. I also asked about a valet key and he said it did not come with one either. Anyone know how much another key costs?

The other thing is I notice there is a bit of a musty smell. I'm going to immediately replace the cabin filter. I'll also replace the sparkplugs. I'll do these myself but I'm reading that it's time consuming on the CX-9 because you have to remove the plenum and bunch of other connections to gain access to the plugs. Oh yeah.. there was also a mention of of replacing the gaskets as well in the process.

Thanks to all that have responded.

umnn... noticed 1st gear whine. all good once it's on 2nd and up. normal???? Checked ATF and level is good but it is time to change it.

umnn... noticed 1st gear whine. all good once it's on 2nd and up. normal???? Checked ATF and level is good but it is time to change it.

Hi obiwan,

from your post #4 above, you mentioned your vehicle is a 2010 AWD with 92,000 miles (150000 km)?

If so, I would check out the AWD transfer case.

See "dadsCX9" and "MikeB CX9" posts, link below, both seem to have the same whine issue but it went away soon after they swapped the transfer case oil,

hopes this helps

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123850240-Transfer-case-118-000-miles&highlight=whine

I'm pretty sure the whine is coming from the transfer case if the previous owner never changed the oil, but I would also check the ATF like you already did and

ALSO the rear differential, see PDF file in post #40 in link below, the rear directional is very easy to change, I usually get it done at the dealer since the cost is very reasonable but if you're handy, you may do it yourself:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-(photos)/page3

Last edited:
One problem with Mazda esp the CX-9 is that the sales volume is not very high (compared to lets say a Camry or Accord or Focus), so sometimes it is difficult to find "common" problems. Makes troubleshooting a bit more difficult.

........ Mazda esp the CX-9 is that the sales volume is not very high (compared to lets say a Camry or Accord or Focus)

I agree, sometimes I can go for two weeks straight without seeing a fellow CX-9 on the road !, and I live in NY !
But I kinda like the exclusivity ! Why buy into the herd mentalality and get the same exact car everyone has, it'll just be any other car on the road and usually the most popular is also the most stolen.

My friend has a new RX350 and believe me it's a beautiful SUV but I see one EVERY single day on the road and it kinda loses its "special" factor when you see it everyday on the road especially for a $48000 SUV. Same for the MDX, I see that everywhere also.

Last edited:
Thanks Avidien. I will check the transfer case. I ordered the Diesel Extractor Scavenge Suction Transfer Pump w/ Hose online as I was planning to change the transfer case oil but that won't come for another week or so. I had thought of this but felt that that couldn't be it since I am only hearing it on first gear? As soon as it shifts to 2nd, no more whine. Figured that if it's the transfer case, shouldn't I be hearing whine on all gears?

Where exactly is the transfer case located? I have this scissor lift (this http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/md-6xp.aspx) in my garage and was looking under but not sure exactly where it is.

Today also, I am hearing growling/tire noise just on the left rear. I had the wife drive the car and it is definitely coming from the left rear side (passenger driver side). I think it may be the wheel bearing. I also just finished changing both the front rotors and pad today. Pads were at 40% but one of the rotor is slightly warp.

I agree, sometimes I can go for two weeks straight without seeing a fellow CX-9 on the road !, and I live in NY !
But I kinda like the exclusivity ! Why buy into the herd mentalality and get the same exact car everyone has, it'll just be any other car on the road and usually the most popular is also the most stolen.

My friend has a new RX350 and believe me it's a beautiful SUV but I see one EVERY single day on the road and it kinda loses its "special" factor when you see it everyday on the road especially for a $48000 SUV. Same for the MDX, I see that everywhere also.

astriuminc, yeah I noticed that too. Bought the mustang GT 2012 three years ago, Kia Rondo last year (replaced by CX-9 acquired two days ago), Honda Accord 2008 in 2008. We obviously begin to immediately notice others who has it as well. So far, I haven't seen any on the road for months. In fact, what made me decide to get this car to replace the 7 passenger Kia Rondo was when I was searched for used car filtered on 7 passenger seating SUV's. I first looked at MDX as those I see a lot on the road but what drew me to the CX-9 was how much more I like the look of the CX-9 over the others.

oh... on the 1st gear whine, one test I did is put it on manual shift. From stop, I accelerate and I hear a whine which gets louder as the speed increases. then I shift to 2nd, whine goes away. I then let off the gas until it slows down a bit to a slow crawl and while still on 2nd, I press the gas to accelerate and still no whine. So from that exercise, it's definitely just on 1st gear.

Now I read somewhere about how 1st gear is handled different than the other gears. Let me find that post again and share.

Back