Reconsidering car choice

lmbebo

Hi

So I've test driven the the Mazda CX-5, CX-9, highlander and volvo xc60

I liked the size and handling of the cx-5, we also liked the cx-9 GT.

At this point, I'd be happy with any of them and likely going to make a decision based on best deal.

Mazda - local dealership, but its very small.
Toyota - local dealership, good size.
Volvo - 2 hour drive to the closest dealership.

Because of financial situation (long story), I'm looking at leasing or financing at 0 down (but still paying higher than my monthly) in addition to getting a GAP type insurance through my car insurance.

We may have 2 new additions soon.

Mazda currently offers a 0%/60 month offer (credit is good). The car rode great, lots of bells and whistles and room for our family to hopefully grow.
Highlander has a similar offer, but a bit pricer.
Volvo - has 1.9 at 60, with a possible $1000 offer for financing over 49+ months.

As you can probably tell, not sure what I'd like to do. I like the volvo, but the 2 hour commute for servicing is definitely an issue.

Opinions wanted

I bought a 2013 CX9 Touring with the GT tech package last month and my uncle bought a 2014 CX5 a week later from the same dealership. I was able to negotiate a lower price from 37,500 sticker price to 32,000 with zero down very easily and now wish I would have started at a lower price. The CX5 is selling extremely well and Mazda was not looking to negotiate with my uncle for a 2013 or the 2014 CX5. There are deals to made with the CX9. I was looking at all the same cars you were and mazda gave me the best deal, qualifying for the zero percent was also very nice. Good luck, buying a new car sucks

Note that the Highlander will be all new for 2014, which is coming out this summer. This means that there may be some really good deals on Highlanders over the next couple of months. I went back and forth on the CX-9 and Highlander last year, and would have been really happy with either. The Highlander definitely was more luxurious inside, and rode really nice.

Normally, I'd say don't worry about the dealer location, as you can just take your car to a local mechanic, and save all your paper work. But I think that the Volvos come with scheduled maintenance, which does help bring the cost of the car down a bit over the warranty period.

Good luck.

I think you will first need to narrow down to the size you want. I had a Volvo S60 which is the sedan version of the XC60. I have driven the XC60 also and it is a very nice vehicle especially in the T6 form, but the rear seats just do not have a lot of room (also check to see if the XC60 comes with a spare tire our S60 did not and it took up much of the trunk). It is hard to beat the versatility and price of the CX-9. It has a large amount of room, but the fuel economy will be much much less than the CX-5. I know quite a few people with CX-5s and they all really like it. Any other vehicles you are considering? There are so many choices in the crossover market. I personally don't keep up with Toyota because I have very little interest in their automobiles although there is nothing wrong with the Highlander. The Subaru Outback, Dodge Durango, Sante Fe, new Pathfinder, etc. should also be looked at if you have local dealers. So many choices - good luck with your search, hopefully you will come back to Mazda :)

We looked at the XC60 and really liked it till I tried to sit in the back seat. With the driver seat in the most rear position, I could not fit behind it. We picked the CX9 over it, the only other major contender was the venza, which we really liked but got a better deal on the cx9.

Yeah, the Volvo 60 looks cool, lots of tech, but its not really a family hauler.... You might look at XC90's, but 1) going on like 10 years with no re-design and 2) they are pretty maintenance heavy.

My opinion on Toyota's - The fact that even 2013 models, when you get behind one accellerating up a hill, you have to hit your recirculating air button because the toyota in front of you is pouring out egg smell. C'mon Toyota, we are in 2013 and your vehicles exhaust still smells like eggs. Really? C'mon. I think Toyota's are cheap. (crap)

Good luck!

Well, if you're having two kids then think about space. I have a CX-5 and we're able to get the two kids in, a Baby Jogger City-Mini double stroller, a pack and play, and little else. It is tricky. It was even worse in our CX-7. The CX-9 with the back seats down has been a breeze. With the middle row all the way back, we're able to get luggage for a good weekend trip and all the items mentioned above w/ room to spare. It's made it much easier for grocery trips, etc, etc.

Another problem - pricing. You're talking about a 30k car and you're having to finance the entire price. That's up to you, but it's better to be careful with your finances so you can be in a better position when trouble comes or when the kids are older and want to do more. (daveramsey.com). There are tons of people driving corolla's around with two kids and they manage just fine. Don't screw yourself in payments just to get into something you don't need.

Nosuchsol you bring up a good point. My wife and I drove a hand me down altima until things lined up and we were able to buy a 2.5 ye old cx9 gt with cash. Savings, profit sharing, CD matured, tax return. It sucks driving a sedan with 2 kids long distances but financially I agree with Dave Ramsey about financing cars.

I have a 2012 CX-9 GT FWD and I average 20-21mpg with a mix of about 70% highway and 30% city. I tend to have a heavy foot (the 273hp 3.7L V6 and 6-speed Aisin Automatic are WAY MORE fun than a Large CUV/SUV has any right to be) and I live in Georgia where we turn on our A/C in February and it stays on until November. I have achieved 23.4mpg on a 500-mile highway trip going 75-80mph with the Cruise Control set. It is rated at 17/24 (city/hwy) which is in-line with the Volvo XC60 (better than the T6 version) and the Highlander.

The XC-60 and CX-5 are considerably smaller than the Highlander and CX-9. The smallest is the XC60 with 99 cubic feet of interior space, then the CX-5 with 102 cubic feet. The CX-9 has 139 cubic feet of space and the Highlander has 146 cubic feet. Despite the Highlanders' sliightly larger interior volume, that figure alone is misleading.

The CX-9 has substantially more hip, shoulder and leg room in the third row seat. The middle row of the CX-9 slids about 11" foward or backward to allow you to customize 3rd row leg room as needed. The CX-9 is a great value for the money, also.

$30,240 for GT FWD
$32,830 for GT FWD w/ Tech Package (Bose, SiriuisXM, Moonroof, Navigation)

I highly recommend it!

To me, an XC90 would be more the equivalent in size to the Mazda and Toyota.

The price difference may matter more or less to some, but I think the accessibility and reputation of the dealer for warranty repairs is important.

If the dealer has a loaner program for maintenance visits, that would also be a plus if this will be a daily vehicle.

I guess this is my perspective as a parent. The dealership that I bought the car from was accessible, good, and with loaner, but they shuttered a few years back. The dealer I visit now is good, but further away and definitely takes more time.

On an unsolicited note, I have an appreciation for minivans now.

- ZoomFive

To me, an XC90 would be more the equivalent in size to the Mazda and Toyota.

The price difference may matter more or less to some, but I think the accessibility and reputation of the dealer for warranty repairs is important.

If the dealer has a loaner program for maintenance visits, that would also be a plus if this will be a daily vehicle.

I guess this is my perspective as a parent. The dealership that I bought the car from was accessible, good, and with loaner, but they shuttered a few years back. The dealer I visit now is good, but further away and definitely takes more time.

On an unsolicited note, I have an appreciation for minivans now.

- ZoomFive

Thanks.

I decided and have an agreement to purchase a cx5.

I drove past the local dealership. Really small. Maybe 30 new cars on the lot. Makes me a little worried to purchase a Mazda now.

Dealership looks like one out of 70s/80s.

Dealership looks like one out of 70s/80s.

Yes, the dealer I'm going to now is much smaller. There were things that they worked on that weren't buttoned up, but they try. Check out some of those dealer rating sites.

Good luck with the family and the CX-5.

Yes, the dealer I'm going to now is much smaller. There were things that they worked on that weren't buttoned up, but they try. Check out some of those dealer rating sites.

Good luck with the family and the CX-5.

Can't find a single review about place. Doesn't even pop up in google for local dealerships unless you put the name in

Can't find a single review about place. Doesn't even pop up in google for local dealerships unless you put the name in

Try dealerrater.com or similar. If you go to the Mazda site and look up dealer locations near you, do they come up?

Latest posts

Back