Rear plate area, is there supposed to be a plate holder or plastic piece?

Raistlin

:
2019 CX-9 Touring w/ Premium
Just curious, is there supposed to be a plastic piece or holder the rear plate goes onto? 2022 CX9 and there are just two holes in the hatch to hold plate. There is a weird indentation in that area that the plate covers with possible drill here areas.

Thanks

I can't say for sure with a CX9, but that's exactly how our 2021 Miata came.
I actually put a little bit of Dynamat on the back of the plate in attempt to protect the paint.

I know my 2018 CX-9 came just as you described. I didn't like the idea of the plate touching the paint, so I got a license plate frame and put a bit of felt tape on the back of it. A silicone plate frame would be just as good.

I think the only license plate holder that comes with the car is for the front bumper.

I can't say for sure with a CX9, but that's exactly how our 2021 Miata came.
I actually put a little bit of Dynamat on the back of the plate in attempt to protect the paint.
Exactly, it seems like the plate could scratch the paint and make noise if it vibrates at all.

Toyota puts two pads of something on the bottom side of where the plate hits. Maybe Mazda will pick that up in their collaboration? FWIW, myself and both my brothers have Mazdas, none with any sort of protection on the plates and no paint issues. Parents both have Fords with no protection and no issues.

My 2021 GTR came with a black plastic license plate holder. Maybe the dealer didn't include it. The license plate holder had holes that aligned with the rear hatch threaded holes.

Back