Rear bumper protector - Form over function - Which do you like?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Sometimes it's a matter of looks vs practicality. Which do you prefer here? I always hated most mfg bumper lip guards as they leave a lot of the vulnerable edges exposed. I got an aftermarket on my last CX-5 that still looked perfect nearly 2 years later. My new CX-5 already has the Mazda one. I am (heavily) leaning towards removing it and replacing it with the same one I had. It's a very durable, full adhesine not just strips of double sided tape, no scuffs 2 years later. Also, I think it looks even better than the chrome one from Mazda.

Your thoughts?

PXL_20211224_234522546.jpg
Bumper guard.jpg

I like the aftermarket one better (second pic, in black). It matches the lower body cladding better, too. I had the silver version on my CX-5, and it did not really provide any protection at all.

I have what looks to be the aftermarket one on my SR and it looks great. It also covers the edge where the Mazda one doesn't and that's a big plus.

All factory all the time. Black plastic assessories scream cheap especially on white. Might as well own a base model.

Last edited:
I think it looks best without one. If you get a scratch or dent there, you can buy one after. No need to deface it in advance.

For several years I've had on CX-5's the

Cargo Liner - Soft - Mazda (0000-8K-R06A)​

When loading or unloading cargo the bumper is protected.

Yes, but I also have a small moving blanket stored back there. But, I still believe that almost every on who has a smaller version, as pictured in the OP, either on this car or any past car, has got plenty of scuff from that errant bump of a case of soda/beer/box of whatever that has bumped up against the exposed back corner. But, I do appreciate the input, and unlike some, I don't get butt-hurt when someone poo-poos my ideas

Yes, but I also have a small moving blanket stored back there. But, I still believe that almost every on who has a smaller version, as pictured in the OP, either on this car or any past car, has got plenty of scuff from that errant bump of a case of soda/beer/box of whatever that has bumped up against the exposed back corner. But, I do appreciate the input, and unlike some, I don't get butt-hurt when someone poo-poos my ideas

The bumper protection is just a "bonus" aspect of the Soft Cargo Liner. The product's primary benefit is that it protects the entire cargo area, including the back of the seats and, or, when the rear seats are folded down, full cargo area coverage.

Back