Rattling in the Back

Hey, I just got my car back from protege garage, "will write a excellent review later"

I have a small problem thats really annoying, My Racing Beat exhaust is rattling against my bumper it used to only do it while taking corners now its happening alot more then ever, during idle or even at low-high speeds, i was looking at the the kartboy exhaust hangers. anyone had any luck with these hangers? please let me know thanks!

Replace the stock hangers with Kartboy or Corksport Urethane and use metal hose clamps to lock it in place on either side of the urethane, centered in the cutout, and it won't be moving anywhere....

ya it just seemed to be happening now more then ever and its seriously getting annoying, what do you mean tie it down with metal hose?

little 1/2" or 1/4" hose clamps or even platic pull ties...They will go on the metal bar on either side of the urethane hanger....With the Kartboys, you'll have the exhaust sliding back and forth worse than the stock ones but not rocking and vibrating....These will keep the exhaust perfectly in place.

that's such a good idea!!! plastic pullties!!! and they won't rust either during the winter with salt and stuff...

ProtoType5 said:
little 1/2" or 1/4" hose clamps or even platic pull ties...They will go on the metal bar on either side of the urethane hanger....With the Kartboys, you'll have the exhaust sliding back and forth worse than the stock ones but not rocking and vibrating....These will keep the exhaust perfectly in place.

If you exhaust is sliding with kartboys there is a chance you you put the 12mm hanger where the10 mm goes.

Mine don't move at all, in any direction.

yea, Ken ordered some for me were going to get them installed next weekend, funny part is the rattling seems to be happening when I'm making lefts and I know its coming from the rear but why would the rattling be coming from the driver side if my exhaust is on the passenger side.

but then again I could be wrong because sometimes it sounds as if it is coming from the passenger side as well, what else could make a rattling sound from the rear if it wasn't my muffler... bearings?

I even simulated the problem and what I simulated was if I press on my muffler against my bumper while the car is running it makes the same rattling sound so maybe new hangers are in need but if anyone has any other ideas as to what might be rattling in the back I'm open to suggestions

Last edited:
I have the Magnaflow cat-back. it is misaligned and it pushes up, against the bumper cover. That in turn changed the geometry ofthe cover which makes it rattle against the body on both the driver and passenger sides. It could be that...

Getting a new mid pipe put in today and the exhaust re-alingned...

Jack it up in the rear...

Check the clearance above the muffler and exhaust tip...My old Bosal exhaust would rattle against a metal piece inside the bumper, not the plastic, but a reinforcing plate that is a few inches behind the outside bumper cover.

Check out this place, and if it is rattling there or is close, use a pair of vice-grips to bend it up and out of the way....

BTW did you get the Kartboys????

yes, yes i did get the kartboy's the exhaust is rattling against the tip of the bumper..

i have 2 options

i could raise the throttle of the engine by 50 RPM's which stops the rattling because it rattles only at 750 rpm's or lower anything above 750 its fine.

or i could try to bend the exhaust hanger but i dont think that will work because the kartboy's are urathane mounts which DONT move and i'd be afraid i wouldnt be able to get the exhaust hanger back in the mount if i bend the hanger on the muffler.

Now is there a way to tighten the bumper, i dont see any gaps but maybe a screw in the bumper could possibly be lose allowing the bumper to possibly sit lower hence the reason why the muffler is vibrating against the exhaust cutout of the bumper...

anyone else got a idea?

i will also take a picture and show you what i mean and a video of how bad it gets while at idle

whitemp5seattle said:
that's such a good idea!!! plastic pullties!!! and they won't rust either during the winter with salt and stuff...
The hose clamps are stainless so they'll last awhile. The zip ties will eventually weather & break. I've used both, the hose clamps are easier toadjust & more reliable/sturdy IMO.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
The hose clamps are stainless so they'll last awhile. The zip ties will eventually weather & break. I've used both, the hose clamps are easier toadjust & more reliable/sturdy IMO.

done, and done, it still vibrates... now granted my car is turbo'ed so maybe that has something to do with it, but sunday its going to little beavis's house i think were just going to raise the throttle to 800 RPM it doesnt move at 800 RPM at all

Matthew1785 said:
yes, yes i did get the kartboy's the exhaust is rattling against the tip of the bumper..

i have 2 options

i could raise the throttle of the engine by 50 RPM's which stops the rattling because it rattles only at 750 rpm's or lower anything above 750 its fine.

or i could try to bend the exhaust hanger but i dont think that will work because the kartboy's are urathane mounts which DONT move and i'd be afraid i wouldnt be able to get the exhaust hanger back in the mount if i bend the hanger on the muffler.

Now is there a way to tighten the bumper, i dont see any gaps but maybe a screw in the bumper could possibly be lose allowing the bumper to possibly sit lower hence the reason why the muffler is vibrating against the exhaust cutout of the bumper...

anyone else got a idea?

i will also take a picture and show you what i mean and a video of how bad it gets while at idle
Check & make sure non of your piping is close to the heat shields in it's journey bending around on it's way to get to the muffler or that it's not too close to the chassis where it goes up over it.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
Check & make sure non of your piping is close to the heat shields in it's journey bending around on it's way to get to the muffler or that it's not too close to the chassis where it goes up over it.

its not i swear.. everyone's telling me, its your rear bushings... its not the bushings its defenitly not the heat shield the muffler doesnt even come close to touching the heat shield its just that the muffler vibrates so hard its hitting the exhaust cut out of the muffler...

im going to go take a video right now and show you what i mean...

i dont mean to sound like im coming off angry or upset but i have been dealing with the rattling for almost 3 weeks... it gets to your head after awhile (poke)

With the Kartboys, my exhaust is nearly cemented in place at the exhaust tip...I've only got about 1/8 of an inch clearance all the way around my cutout and it still doesn't rub or rattle....HMMMM???? Your problem is rather perplexing......And you checked the metal reinforcing plate that is inside/behind the bumper cover...Just reach under the bumper and that's what my exhaust was hitting....It was a canister muffler tho....Damn, good luck let us know...

yea so is mine, but the fact that im turbo'ed now the vibrations are stronger then ever.. its going to get checked out sunday because its quite annoying. other then that the car is perfect...

now all i need is MP3 wheels and JDM tails and i will be quite happy

Back