Rattle from the rear

Hi guys,

Has anyone had an issue with rattling coming from the rear when stationary and closing doors?

It sounds like it's coming from behind the tail lights somwhere, I have laid underneath and got the Mrs to close the doors but cannot seem to find where its coming from. I had a Honda Civic that did something similar years ago and it turned out to be some sort of vent flap.

I have the car about 12 months now and it seems to have developed a lot of rattles recently, need to start eliminating them! Car is 2018 AWD auto.

Cheers.

Have you checked the license plate/plate frame? I would also check the license plate light bulb covers. You can also try giving the muffler a little kick to see if one of the hangers is loose.

Have you checked the license plate/plate frame? I would also check the license plate light bulb covers. You can also try giving the muffler a little kick to see if one of the hangers is loose.
Ya, I have removed the plate surround and re fixed the plate with double sided tape, so it isnt that. Also thought it might have been the known spoiler issue but not that either.

Didnt think of the bulb covers or exhaust hangers, it sounds more like the rear lamp area, but ill give them a try!

spoiler?

or

Roof rack?
Nope. It's a metallic sounding rattle and only does so as the doors hit the strike plate. More obvious when rear doors are shut than the front
spoiler?

or

Didnt think it was the spoiler, but I didnt realise there was another 2 bolts behind the centre screen plastic trim. Ill have to pull that and see.

As I said above, had a similar issue on my Honda Civic years ago, there seemed to be a sort of vent on either side of the rear if car. Plastic flap opening and closing rattled mad. Sorted when I pulled the flap off 😆. Do the CX5 have some sort of air vents at the back?

Jup ;)

Attachments

• trunk vent.png
    trunk vent.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 120
Fair play, thanks for that.

I did some further googling and found the attached (its for the previous gen, im assuming there both the same).

What is the purpose of these vents? If I removed the vanes, to stop them rattling, would there be any issues?

Does anyones elses rattle?!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210209-231157.png
    Screenshot_20210209-231157.png
    374.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20210209-231126.png
    Screenshot_20210209-231126.png
    423 KB · Views: 143

What is the purpose of these vents? If I removed the vanes, to stop them rattling, would there be any issues?

When you have the windows up, all doors but one closed, you rapidly close the remaining door, the air pressure has to go someplace. The vents allow that air pressure to escape. The vents then shut and reduce the likelihood that water / insects / rodents get into the vehicle. If you remove the vents be aware that there is now a direct path into the interior of the cabin for whatever. If you go this route.. maybe a small amount of sound deadening material around the area instead of removal of the vanes.

^ Yup, maybe a bit of felt tape on the edge of the flap would quiet it down, and you'd still retain the original function of the vent flap.

Back