Question about MAF and MAP for tuning

ogsp5

225 whp @ 8psi
:
2002 p5 (MSP Powered)
This is a question for the engine management gurus on this page. I have ther following quastions.
1) Is the MAF on the MSP the same on the 2 liter FSDE NA
2) is the MAP sensor (Passenger Side) the same.
I have tuned my turbo P5 as far as it can go with the SS afc. In a discussion with a tuner a point was brought up. Maybe use the MAF form a Mellina S or Turbo2 RX7. Maybe the frequencies and resolutions on the MAF on these units are different ( wider )
... The wider the frequencies and resolutions means the MAF is much better to use for tune

Plus does anyone know what the freguency and resolutions are on the MAF. I should say I do not not want to go full standalone. I can pick used MAF and map sensors pretty cheap. And use this as a simply solution.

The MSP uses the same MAF and MAP as the regular Protege. I do not know the specifics of the stock MAF sensor, only that it is a standard 0-5v sensor like most cars have.

It would be cool to use a Millennia S MAF if they are different, I am not sure if they are. The FC RX7 uses the old 80s style MAF, probably wouldn't work. IDK what the FD MAF looks like. I think most RX7 guys that are heavily modded go with a speed density setup. It would be nice to delete the MAF altogether and upgrade to a 3 bar MAP sensor and tune with that instead.

Quick RockAuto search shows the Millennia S MAP sensor is the same one used in the speed Miata.

One MAF listed is specific to the KJ supercharged motor, and the other is also compatible with the NB Miata, 01-03 Protege and MSP as well as a chevy tracker/suzuki vitara.

I got a MAF from the KJ coming in. Will let you know how it goes.

Got it yesterday. Need new reducers. The housing is 3in diameter

MAF is installed. No codes so far. I will give details as the car drives over time. But I have noticed a better response in third going into boost.
Here are some picture

Attachments

• 20170716_121258.jpg
    20170716_121258.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 306
  • 20170716_121322.jpg
    20170716_121322.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 20170716_125312.jpg
    20170716_125312.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 343
The car drives much better. The car pulls very hard in third and fourth. The afr are a running around a tad high around 12.5 to 13.6 going into boost. No hesitation at all. I need to call my tuner to adjust the SS afc to add fuel But the over all driving experience is nice. I need to make arrangements with a dyno.

That's weird it has a KL pn and not KJ. Either way if it is a larger housing it definitely needs to be accounted for. The MAF scaling table in the factory ECU is setup for the stock 2.75" intake, the larger housing is going to skew the fuel trims lean.

Sad week has come. Some jack ass cut me off and the car is done. For those who really want a difference I would up grade to the KL maf. The car drives amazing. I will be posting a few parts for sale soon. The maf is one of these items

MAF is installed. No codes so far. I will give details as the car drives over time. But I have noticed a better response in third going into boost.
Here are some
Here are some picture
@ogsp5 I'm looking to upgrade my maf in my 2003 mazdaspeed protege. How did this work for you? What gains did you get and where can I find one? Thanks!

Back