Question about extended warranty

I recently bought a 2018 CX-9 Signature CPO from a Mazda dealership in NY. The dealership wanted to sell me an extended warranty (Mazda Total Confidence) to extend the warranty to 7 year/100,000 miles. How much have people paid for this type of warranty?

When I bought my 2018 Sig, I paid half of what the original price was for the "Added Protection Plan". I'm in Canada, so it has a different name, but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as "Total Confidence". This was my first time buying an extended warranty on a car, but from past experience selling and buying appliances and electronics, the extended warranty's "dealer cost" is 50% of the advertised price. The actual "cost" is probably a lot less.

There are different levels of the warranty depending upon what all you want included in the coverage you purchase. In order to compare apples and apples, you'll need to specify what level of coverage you're inquiring about, and, for respondents, stating what actual coverage one has paid xx dollars for. The 15-1600 mentioned above could be a lot, or be a bargain....depends on what all is covered, or not, within the plan purchased.

"The dealership wanted to sell me an extended warranty (Mazda Total Confidence) to extend the warranty to 7 year/100,000 miles. How much have people paid for this type of warranty?"

Almost everything above is a lie. There is no extended warranty. It does not extend the factory warranty. None of the so-called extended warranty products are legally a warranty. You are being sold a prepaid service contract. Being a contract, not a warranty, the consumer has less protection. It will do what the fine print in the contract says it does IF YOU DO EVERYTHING THE FINE PRINT REQUIRES OF YOU. You'll notice that the Total Confidence paperwork never claims that it is a warranty...that would be fraud.

Read the whole thing. I know, the finance guy hides it from you. It really is peace-of-mind insurance. Very few buyers ever get back what they spend on it. If you'll sleep better at night if you have it, buy it at the lowest price you can find. Check Mazda dealers on the internet. Check other local Mazda dealers. Negotiate hard with your Mazda dealer. There is enough into the price to cover a profit margin for the dealership owner, a commission for the finance sales guy, profit for the underwriter, and something left over to pay claims.

If you do buy one of these service contracts, always buy it from the car maker, i.e., Mazda Total Confidence. Never get one from a 3rd party. If that 3rd party underwriter goes bust, you're left with nothing.

Like Quote

OK, not a Mazda 'Warranty' per se...merely a Mazda 'Extended Confidence Service Contract' that covers what is listed in it. The flavor I purchased....damn near everything not wear related including all of the marvelous mystery electronic voodoo boxes, and that was my main concern. One of those goes out, I make my money back and then some. It doesn't, oh well. There's plenty of other things that will be covered should it need it. I didn't pay a lot for the CX5 to begin with, so I've lost nothing by having the added insurance.

The very simple ECM in the vehicle in my sig went out after only 6 years. It was essentially nothing more than a fuel injection control box. Way back then, it was a $900 item for just the part. Nearly 1/5 of what I paid for the entire vehicle. I repaired it myself for less than a buck for a pair of (better) capacitors. Can't say I'd get away that easily or cheap in the CX5 today. Sold the thing 2 years ago, no issues w/ the budget repair of the poor quality OE leaky capacitors.

Please explain the difference then, technically, between a AnyManufacturerBrand new car 'warranty' that the manufacturer does/will/doesn't/won't honor and a 'service contract' from same said manufacturer for an extended period of time and miles? Assuming, of course, all of the required maintenance for either flavor is performed in either case. They can just as easily deny honoring warranty as they can deny honoring their extended service contract. Jeep is notorious for advertising and marketing that which they deny regular warranty for as "abuse".

Forgive me, I'm not getting the meaning of your post.

OK, not a Mazda 'Warranty' per se...merely a Mazda 'Extended Confidence Service Contract' that covers what is listed in it. The flavor I purchased....damn near everything not wear related including all of the marvelous mystery electronic voodoo boxes, and that was my main concern. One of those goes out, I make my money back and then some. It doesn't, oh well. There's plenty of other things that will be covered should it need it. I didn't pay a lot for the CX5 to begin with, so I've lost nothing by having the added insurance.

The very simple ECM in the vehicle in my sig went out after only 6 years. It was essentially nothing more than a fuel injection control box. Way back then, it was a $900 item for just the part. Nearly 1/5 of what I paid for the entire vehicle. I repaired it myself for less than a buck for a pair of (better) capacitors. Can't say I'd get away that easily or cheap in the CX5 today. Sold the thing 2 years ago, no issues w/ the budget repair of the poor quality OE leaky capacitors.

Please explain the difference then, technically, between a AnyManufacturerBrand new car 'warranty' that the manufacturer does/will/doesn't/won't honor and a 'service contract' from same said manufacturer for an extended period of time and miles? Assuming, of course, all of the required maintenance for either flavor is performed in either case. They can just as easily deny honoring warranty as they can deny honoring their extended service contract. Jeep is notorious for advertising and marketing that which they deny regular warranty for as "abuse".

Forgive me, I'm not getting the meaning of your post.

I am not PT but I agree with him... although I also understand why the two are getting conflated. In my experience, service contracts cover less than extended warranties and allow for greater discretion by the provider before they can provide coverage. You also get limited recourse if they refuse, unlike warranties. An example here could be electronic systems, audio..etc. Most service contracts I have run into specifically exclude this. Most service contracts also have deductibles depending on the package you select. Finally, a lot of the service contracts require for claims to be reviewed before they can cover a repair. Either way, this is one of the situations where you literally need to read the fine print. Ask for a copy of the contract from the dealer.

I agree that most of the 3rd party warranty's are weak. They "threw in" another years on my wife 2018 to seal the deal but I can tell by looking at the one page "contract" it could be worth absolutely nothing. I forget the name night be Western or something. I'm of the mind that with as complicated as most new cars are with the electronic's,computers etc leasing for a few years often times makes more sense.

I am not PT but I agree with him... although I also understand why the two are getting conflated. In my experience, service contracts cover less than extended warranties and allow for greater discretion by the provider before they can provide coverage. You also get limited recourse if they refuse, unlike warranties. An example here could be electronic systems, audio..etc. Most service contracts I have run into specifically exclude this. Most service contracts also have deductibles depending on the package you select. Finally, a lot of the service contracts require for claims to be reviewed before they can cover a repair. Either way, this is one of the situations where you literally need to read the fine print. Ask for a copy of the contract from the dealer.

I posses Mazda contract booklets for both New and Used CPOs, as I'd indicated elsewhere. I have read both cover to cover. They are quite different. I am specifically discussing New here, which the flavor (top level of coverage) I've purchased covers all vehicle electronics, other wise I wouldn't have purchased it. The CPO version does not, in any flavor. I know this because when I was thinking of purchasing the 'coverage' for the new vehicle, they mistakenly gave me the contract booklet for the CPO and the electronics were excluded. I called the woman after reading the booklet and said the one thing I told you was a must-have coverage item, and you said it was, isn't included in this booklet. She called someone, called me back and emailed me a copy of the 'other' new car booklet. Mistake? Not? In typical dealer fashion, I'd have to say not likely. Don't know, can't say, don't care because I read both of the damn things cover to cover. If you've run in to this, well then, you purchased something mistakenly, or as usually the case, didn't read the print, fine or otherwise, BEFORE signing only to find out AFTER the fact what was, or was not, covered including the circumstances surrounding the coverage and complaining about it later.

As far as what is covered in Mazda's Extended Total Confidence, for new vehicles, it's in plain clear English, if a covered part has failed, it will be replaced. Again, the act/process of negotiating/fighting to have a new car B2B warranty claim covered or negotiating/fighting to have the extended coverage contract claim covered are no different in my mind. I've had to threaten many a dealer to repair things they claim 'normal' when vehicles are still under the factory B2B 'warranty'. I recall a whiny xfer case in a Wrangler that needed replaced and the dealers tech acknowledged it sounded off. Dealer didn't want to hear about it. There's always recourse. The method I find gets results is the 'squeaky wheel getting greased' method. Stating your case publicly at 7-8am in the morning when the dealer is full of people who are also there for service. It boils down to knowing what you're talking about, service manager's reaction to the situation, and your tactics to achieve the results you want, deserve, and have paid for.

So, I'm still not seeing any differences in the terminology, warranty...service contract. The factory B2B is 'free', the extended B2B 'coverage contract' I paid for. Both have written docs detailing what is and is not covered and surrounding circumstances. Only concrete difference I can see.

Also be careful that the dealer does not sell you a non-Mazda third party extended 'warranty'. When purchasing my brand new 2017 CX9, the sales manager was pressuring me to purchase an extended warranty. I was a bit suspicious since the brochure he provided, from Peoples Choice, contained no mention of Mazda. When I contacted Mazda Canada directly for more information, I learned that the extended warranty offered by Mazda Canada was entirely different from what the dealer was offering. BTW, the official Mazda extended warranty was considerably less expensive than the warranty being sold by the Mazda dealer.

BTW, the official Mazda extended warranty was considerably less expensive than the warranty being sold by the Mazda dealer.

Yep, same experience..she initially pitched Zurich and I waved her off...Mazda only or I'm not interested. And then yes, her Mazda starting price was significantly less than Zurich.

These extended service plans are the greatest retail item. Zero inventory cost. Never run out of inventory. The consumer needs to view these as any other discretionary purchase...if you want it, bargain hard on the price. The finance & insurance guy (so-called finance manager) who sells it gets a bigger commission if he can sell it for more. There is no need to buy it at the same time as one buys the car. They can be bought at a later date and bought from any dealer of the car brand.

Several years ago there was a local news item about one of the 3rd party underwriters of the extended service plan that went bust. The buyers ended up with nothing. A local dealership took it on themselves to honor the plan to those who bought it from them. Good PR for the dealership. Good deal for their customers. Nothing at all for the buyers of that plan from other dealerships.

I know the last reply was some months ago, but just wanted to share here instead of starting a new thread. Our 2019 CX-9 warranty will be ending in 2 months. I was thinking of replacing the vehicle with a Highlander but I don't think I can find one while low interest deals are still around, not to mention markups. So I am thinking about buying out the CX-9 and purchasing a 6YR 100K plan from Mazda to cover the potential issues of screen cracking and coolant issue since my vin falls within the TSB. I called my local dealer and they quoted me $2000 for the 6 yr plan.

A 2019 is a nearly brand new vehicle as far as I'm concerned. What's wrong with your car that you want to get rid of it?

Its a 3 yr lease ending in October, its either I buy it out or return it. I have been wanting to return to a V6 so was thinking about the highlander.

Well the screen is about 1000-1500$, so if it is only for the screen then you can put the 2000$ they are asking aside for emergency fund and worst case scenario you break even.

The coolant issue would fall under the 5 year powertrain warranty, so it is up to you if the 2000$ for that extra one year of coverage feel worth it.

Its a 3 yr lease ending in October, its either I buy it out or return it. I have been wanting to return to a V6 so was thinking about the highlander.
If you don't drive alot, then moving to a V6 is sound. However if you drive alot, rethink gas prices and where they are headed. I am glad I moved from a V6 to a 4 pot. It has saved me over $2500 in gas so far...equivalent to $3000 per year. Consider buyout the lease, as youri said above maybe forgo the extended warranty and wait a few years til they have decent hybrid V6 SUVs on the market and more electric V6 to choose from.

Also, the rare time when I need a V6, f.i. to tow a boat once per year, etc. I can rent one for $500 ish a week. Far cheaper than the extra $3000 I save on gas.

If you don't drive alot, then moving to a V6 is sound. However if you drive alot, rethink gas prices and where they are headed. I am glad I moved from a V6 to a 4 pot. It has saved me over $2500 in gas so far...equivalent to $3000 per year. Consider buyout the lease, as youri said above maybe forgo the extended warranty and wait a few years til they have decent hybrid V6 SUVs on the market and more electric V6 to choose from.

Also, the rare time when I need a V6, f.i. to tow a boat once per year, etc. I can rent one for $500 ish a week. Far cheaper than the extra $3000 I save on gas.

Sheesh, how many miles do you drive a year to be able to save $3k a year?
I barely spend 1/2 that even with the high gas prices....and that's with 2.7L Ecoboost Ford Edge.

Whatever you do don't just turn it in. Check the lease contract for the lease-end purchase price and compare to used prices. There's surely several thousand $ in easy money in buying it at lease end and flipping it, even as a trade when buying new without having to finance the buyout or come up with the cash first.

Latest posts

Back