Purchasing Used 2021 CX-9 GT, add warranty?

From what I read it does not affect my CX9 because it's later than the month manufactures listed as being impacted. Mine was manufactured AFTER September 2021. But thanks for the heads up.

From what I read it does not affect my CX9 because it's later than the month manufactures listed as being impacted. Mine was manufactured AFTER September 2021. But thanks for the heads up.
I've got a 2022 so I'm not part of that TSB either. I just hope existing problems don't creep up on the late 2021+ CX9's in a year or two. The car is almost perfect for my needs/wants and I've always driven cars into the ground (10+ years) with little issues.

If the issue comes up a couple years from now, I may have to pivot yet again; had a 2018 CX5 NA CD that had the oil leak from cracked cylinder head at ~43k km. Replaced under powertrain warranty, but wasn't willing to take the gamble that it was going to be problem free for the long run. That and the used car market during COVID went crazy; too good to pass.

Haha

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was surprised when this car became available as well. It is a unicorn, 21 Red AWD with tan interior and bench 2nd row. Carfax-no accidents and 1-owner. The VIN is in the range for the valve seals, so that is on my radar to get checked out under the factory warranty. Hopefully nothing malicious with this trade in. I did have it looked at by a 3rd party mechanic that I trust and he said the car looks great.

After this feed back here, I'm going to pass on the 3rd party warranty.
Yes, but this doesn't seem right to me. If you have one of the impacted vehicles, why is it NOT the dealership who first, took the vehicle in as a trade-in, and then sold it back to you or someone else WITHOUT fixing the issue and still knowing about it? Would it not be the dealership's responsibility to fix the stem issue BEFORE they put it back out on the lot? Liability-wise? This way, when you buy it used from a Mazda dealership, you would never have to worry about the stem valves or any other TSB-related issue.

Yes, but this doesn't seem right to me. If you have one of the impacted vehicles, why is it NOT the dealership who first, took the vehicle in as a trade-in, and then sold it back to you or someone else WITHOUT fixing the issue and still knowing about it? Would it not be the dealership's responsibility to fix the stem issue BEFORE they put it back out on the lot? Liability-wise? This way, when you buy it used from a Mazda dealership, you would never have to worry about the stem valves or any other TSB-related issue.
This would make too much sense, but like most things in life, probably comes down to $ (profit). If it is not an active recall and the car is not showing symptoms listed in a TSB, they have no obligation to fix it.

This would make too much sense, but like most things in life, probably comes down to $ (profit). If it is not an active recall and the car is not showing symptoms listed in a TSB, they have no obligation to fix it.
If they have no obligation to fix it, then they would not have a TSB pronouncing they acknowledge the existence of that problem. It's like them saying, "HAH! We know it's there, but you didn't force the issue by coming in and officially complaining about it...so we're off the hook." C'mon. Now would you seriously buy from a dealer that does that?

If they have no obligation to fix it, then they would not have a TSB pronouncing they acknowledge the existence of that problem. It's like them saying, "HAH! We know it's there, but you didn't force the issue by coming in and officially complaining about it...so we're off the hook." C'mon. Now would you seriously buy from a dealer that does that?
I completely agree with what you are saying, but unfortunately, a TSB is not the same as a recall.

That's not what a TSB is used for. A technical service bulletin is primarily an internally referenced document that addresses non-safety related issues that happen to occur more often than expected. They are created by Mazda and referenced by dealership service reps and service technicians to allow them to diagnose customer issues faster, or to establish a repair or replacement process to help the technician be more efficient. When an issue is described in a TSB, its usually not a safety-related issue. This means that if you're having that issue, they can find the solution faster, and if it can be warrantied, it will. If you're out of warranty, then it's up to the dealership's discretion.

One good example is the bumper cracking TSB for 2018 (and maybe a couple of other MY) CX-9s, where the bumper would randomly develop stress cracks on some cars. Not really safety related, and didn't happen to many vehicles, so it never went further than a TSB. It wouldn't make sense for them to replace the front bumpers on all 2016-2018 CX-9s if only 1% of CX-9s sold during that period reported the issue, and if you came into the dealership with the TSB, they would not proactively change your good bumper based on the low number of reported cases. Another example is the infotainment screen cracking issue. A TSB was developed for that, and because it seemed to be happening to many owners, Mazda issued a special service program (SSP) to extend the warranty on the infotainment screen.

This is true for all manufacturers across the industry, as far as I'm aware.

Back