Protege Turbo Type

TheBryGuy

:
'02 Protege5
I've seen various threads on the turbo kits (sleeper, thumper, etc) but I haven't really found a thread talking about the specific turbo types that go on the Protege. When I was looking into turbo'ing my Honda, a common turbo was the T3/T4. Is that used on the protege? If not then why? What are the common turbo types used on the protege? Thanks for the help.

a T3/T4 is quite a big turbo. There are a few people running them on here(Bigg Timm, Joka1) It'll spool later, and the protege on stock internals doesn't take adcantage of all the air that turbo can flow.
A popular turbo for our app is the GT28RS, or something of similar size. It spools quick, its efficient between 6-9psi, and there is still room for more if you decide to build a motor. I run this turbo, and i am at full boost by 3500 rpms, where the T3/T4 is just starting to build boost.
Another popular turbo would be the T3, but its a little bit older technology, but they can be gotten for really cheap, not quite as quick of spool up as the Gt28RS, but still a lot quicker than the T3/T4.

I have the .42/.48 T3, it is a little cheaper to set up, and easier to find used, rebuild ect... (Saab imported tons!)
If I had the chance to do it again I would go with the T2 flange set up, I really prefer the lower rpm smaller turbo spooling characteristics for DD, it just feels like more torquey...and I never drive over 65 ;)

Kinda funny thou because on another car it has a T2 flange and everyone wants a T3...

I got a used saab t3 turbo for 175.00 im going to replace the turbine housing though. it has a little crack. I couldnt tell you how well it runs though cause im still in the process of collecting parts.

i have a question i have a 2002 protege it does not have a turbo would i be able to take a turbo from the 2003 protege and put it in mine or what should i do

Really? I am baffled...... Anyways to answer your question, yes you can and many have done it over and over again. I assume you have a 2.0 in your Protege? The MSP Engine and a normal Protege FSDE Engine are one in the same. Only difference is the MBSP and all the items for the turbo like cooling and what not. I have seen someone selling a complete MSP turbo setup in the FS section.

You need to search a bit more when asking questions like these.

alright i have 3 grand currently and i want to turbo my 2002 mazda protege i was wondering if anyone could pretty much give me a shopping list of every thing

Latest posts

Back