Protege = FWD or RWD?

I thought the article was kind of funny myself.

My tricycle was front drive, but when I grew up a little, I got rear-wheel drive and a ten-speed.

true...I guess it is comical....off to Humor then cuz it doesn't belong here...

My Renault's engine pointed to the front, but was also front wheel drive.

wow, I'm amazed at those haters that jumped on the "your so ****** dumb" bandwagon.....good ol' forums

my comments weren't directed towards him :p more to the person who would actually need to read this...

protegeric said:
Jeep (I think) makes an AWD bicycle! woo! Also a company named CHRISTINI?

Jeep has all of their bikes outsourced. Their AWD bikes are made by Christini, which is the only company that is producing AWD bikes.

The idea is neat, but it doesn't translate well from the drawing board to the trails. The AWD systems are too weak, too inefficient (huge power loss), and too heavy to be practical for use.

:( turns out i have a FWD car.....
"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Look to see if the front of the engine is by the fender (side of the car). If so, then you have front-wheel drive."

<--------
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dr.Sound said:
:( turns out i have a FWD car.....
"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Look to see if the front of the engine is by the fender (side of the car). If so, then you have front-wheel drive."
[/SIZE][/FONT]

And there are cars with longitudinally-mounted engines that are front wheel drive only. For instance, I remember my mom's 3.5litre 95 and 97 Dodge Intrepids were both longitudinally-mounted (and with a beautiful engine too).

I did a right wheel drive conversion and have a 320hp FWD "busa in the garage.

Ever email Mazda about the MAZDASPEED Protege being an MSP vs. MPS? I encourage you to do so... hmm... No, sorry Eric, you were right after all... I have what they`re calling the Miata MX-5 in my sig. also. It`s really not simply an MSM (close enuff though), that`s another made up acronym. And I understand both acronyms and have no problem with them. I`m simply stating facts for whomever may want to know them.
Sorry for the threadjack...

jersey_emt said:
I have zero-wheel drive.

wow...that was completely off topic & just stupid...would shut up w/ your MPS crap??? we cat it a MSP & an MSM because it stands for MAZDASPEED PROTEGE & MAZDASPEED MIATA. Im glad you and your "ethusiast" buddies recognize this as MPS but Im not going to take my cues from a guy that beats on his car & gets excitied about trashing his transmission over & over...
protegeric said:
Ever email Mazda about the MAZDASPEED Protege being an MSP vs. MPS? I encourage you to do so... hmm... No, sorry Eric, you were right after all... I have what they`re calling the Miata MX-5 in my sig. also. It`s really not simply an MSM (close enuff though), that`s another made up acronym. And I understand both acronyms and have no problem with them. I`m simply stating facts for whomever may want to know them.
Sorry for the threadjack...

Direct from Mazda USA:

2003 MAZDASPEED Proteg

MAZDASPEED's first model came out in 2003, matching the class-leading handling of the compact Proteg 4-Door with a Callaway Garrett T25 turbocharger system, a suspension tuned by Racing Beat, 17" Racing Hart wheels plus over 1000 additional mods to the original model.

With 170 horsepower and a Tochigi Fuji limited slip differential to help put it to the ground, the MAZDASPEED was instantly a force to be reckoned with. Like the MAZDASPEED MX-5 Miata, the MAZDASPEED Proteg had a custom exterior and interior, with many of its enhancements coming right out of the MAZDASPEED catalog. A powerful Kenwood 250 watt stereo topped things off. With a balanced mix of acceleration, handling, appearance and sound, the success of this high-performance sport compact set the stage for the MAZDASPEED MX-5 Miata and all MAZDASPEED models to come.

2005 MAZDASPEED MX-5 Miata

For 15 years, the MX-5 Miata has never wavered from the original concept of a pure, lightweight sports car in roadster form. So when MAZDASPEED engineers set out to develop the high-performance Miata so many fans have been longing for, they didn’t merely make a faster Miata. Instead, they looked at the five key areas that have given it its unique iconic status - engine response, handling, driver-vehicle connectivity, appearance and value - and turned up the volume of each one.

The result is a brilliantly balanced high-performance sports car that thoroughly enhances the MX-5 Miata’s character without changing it. As the experts at TheCarConnection.com said, "If your purpose is to get the maximum Miata for the minimum outlay, you will never be able to beat the MAZDASPEED Miata."

Lets see..I never see it referenced as a MPS vehicle & this is directly from mazda...now maybe this is what they go buy w/ their new generation Mazdaspeed vehicles (the MS6 & MS3) But I have yet to see them refered to as the MPS6 or the MPS3 anywhere...

I think the real reason we use "MSP" and "MSM" and "MS6" and "MS3" is because they are really short acronyms that make talking on these forums faster.

I'm not going to start calling my car a Protege PR5 just because that's what Mazda calls it. P5 it is. :)

of course, it's off topic anyway. Back to figuring out whether our cars are FWD or RWD or maybe AWD?!

Latest posts

Back