protective film

j45

:
Mazda 2016.5 CX5 GT
just got my 2016.5 CX-5 GT in WHITE.

stressed out because i read product information about protective film, i believe it was referring to the 3M stuff.

It warns that the film will turn from clear in time and to be aware for WHTE finishes.

I am bummed out. I hoped to use it on the hood and the door cups and edges

anyone have any knowledge on this. Wonder how long it takes to turn If i buy the stuff in bulk i can have someone put it on. maybe every few years refresh it.

with that in mind has anyone purchased the OEM hood edge protector. Is this flat black or is it a smoked or shiny plastic?

And is the installation removable? (no drilled holes etc )

with the aftermarket sheeting could you cut it to start where the edge guard leaves off?

and lastly has anyone found a good black colored hood deflector that can be removed in time that isnt too obtrusive but does the job? I guess that EGR thing is a dead issue

I am in US

Bought my white CX-5 2016 GT last November. Finish is still perfect, dirt, bugs and bird crap wash right off. It's expensive but worth it.

Cquartz and other ceramic coatings are not the same as clear bra films like 3M and XPEL. Clearbra films protect paint from rock chips. Cquartz won't do that.

Last edited:
just wonder if this stuff will peel off in time like that polyglycote stuff did back in the 80s

can this stuff be used on mazda's black molding trim as well? nice to do everything all at once.

does this stuff chemically interact with the paint (such as like nufinish is supposed to do) or is it just a coating?

and in time could it be stripped all the way down and redone or just reapplied in time?

Paint protection film can be peeled off much like a vinyl wrap can be removed. It doesn't bond to the paint. The benefit of film is that it helps prevent small rocks from chipping the paint, and some can even "heal" after being hit by a rock.

Cquartz is a coating that bonds to paint and leaves a glass like hard clear coat that is hydrophobic. This allows your paint to be much easier to clean, and in general stays cleaner than a nontreated car. I don't believe it can be removed without polishing it off. It is said to last a couple of years, so I'm assuming over time it washes off. It does not protect the finish from rocks and swirls, so some people actually do both PPF and Cquartz.

just wondering how long that protective film takes to yellow i could tolerate doing fresh film every couple of years wonder if any of these waxes or preservatives have UV protection in them and in that case waxing over the film might retard some yellowing for a while

I tell you just got rid of my '08 civic in that medium blue that was popular (paint sucks as scratches show the white primer underneath) the door handle cups were very scratched from fingernails i guess although the scratches werent deep enough to show the prime you could very easly see it.

of course white wouldnt probably show the scratches so easily

but i still carry a torch for the film

just wondering how long that protective film takes to yellow i could tolerate doing fresh film every couple of years wonder if any of these waxes or preservatives have UV protection in them and in that case waxing over the film might retard some yellowing for a while

I tell you just got rid of my '08 civic in that medium blue that was popular (paint sucks as scratches show the white primer underneath) the door handle cups were very scratched from fingernails i guess although the scratches werent deep enough to show the prime you could very easly see it.

of course white wouldnt probably show the scratches so easily

but i still carry a torch for the film
We have it on our white 2015. At ~16k miles it's still pretty hard to see.

FWIW, have had 3M film on my 2014 since new in August 2013. 40k miles and 3 Minnesota winters, still clear as can be and no peeling.

FWIW, have had 3M film on my 2014 since new in August 2013. 40k miles and 3 Minnesota winters, still clear as can be and no peeling.

3M's headquarter is in Minnesota so don't believe what Minnesotans praise about 3M. I have Scotchgard Pro film on my headlights, door cups, and mirrors, only through 1 Minnesota winter and summer, still invisible and no peeling.

According to their specs, the film does resist yellowing:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1071747O/3m-scotchgard-ppf-faqs.pdf

Does Scotchgard Paint Protection Film resist yellowing?
Yes, it resists yellowing because the film is constructed of thermoplastic urethane, a tough, conformable material that is covered by a clear coat layer. The film and clear coat layers contain UV protection to counteract harmful ultraviolet rays that can cause yellowing

Disclaimer: this is my second time pasting the above information in this forum, mostly because the same question has been asked more than once. I'm not connected to 3M although I'm in Minnesota and my sister-in-law does work for 3M :)

I too had the 3M installed before I left the lot. After 2-1/2 years it still looks new. Had the front end, hood mirrors, headlights, fogs all done. On the CX5 the front end takes a lot of flying debris. If I did it again, I would do the entire hood, not just the leading 2 ft. Every month or 2, I give the 3M a wipe down with some kind of liquid wax. You can't even see the film on the paint.
3m has changed over the years, and it did used to fade and harden back in the early 2000's.
Also the shop that installed it, stands behind it 100% and will replace any defective product as long as I own the car. Money well spent.

just curious and this is to the others that just replied: what color is your car?

Find a decent installer for PPF (paint protection film), doesn't matter if they are using 3M, Xpel, or some other notable brand, their should be a warranty against yellowing and peeling. I had PPF applied to the front bumber, hood, mirrors and door cups and have a lifetime warranty against peeling and yellowing, maybe it's 10years but still, long enough for me.

What have you guys been charged for PPF? Did you do the entire hood/bumpers/fenders?

Back