Powerstop Drilled and Slotted Rotors Pros/Cons?

Drilled rotors are horrible. Not even actual race cars use them. Avoid.
1670159088523.png

Drilled rotors are horrible. Not even actual race cars use them. Avoid.
View attachment 314466
They get worse than this. I've seen them where they disintegrated and fell apart into pieces on the car/truck. The mechanic was pulling them off the truck in fragments. The wheel and studs kept the large pieces from flying off the truck. But they destroyed the pads and looked like might have bent the caliper pins. Was on my way out so didn't stay to see all the damage.

Last edited:
I have been using since June Power Stop Z23 Ceramic break pads for front and rear. Power Stop Z23 Slotted Drilled rear rotors. SP Performance Diamond Slotted front rotors. Using this on my M3TH

Second the use of slotted rather than drilled. We don’t drive hard enough/track these vehicles enough to require holes through the sides of the rotors. The slots will vent the pad gasses just fine.

I have the same kit (Z23 Evolution Sport rotors and pads) on the rear brakes of my CX-9. It's driven daily, with a good mix of city and highway speeds during my commute. I've had them installed for only 3 months so far, but I've had no issues with them. I didn't even need to replace my rotors, I just like the look. I kept the OEM rotors as backups just in case.

Pics of my actual rotors, 3 months in with a lot of salt on the roads already:
20221205_085505.jpg

20221205_085447.jpg

Holes and slots are just cheese graters for your pads. I don't, wouldn't use them. Plain surface is best on the street. Centric rotors are good at an affordable price. OEM discs are excellent, too. Ask PowerStop which pads have the higher coefficient of friction (at 200F to 400F if they ask) and choose those. I run Porterfield carbon pads, R4-1 on my Miata and R4-S on my CX-5. The R4-S feels much like the OEM pads (excellent, BTW), but with a little higher torque and likely higher temp tolerance.

Attachments

• portrace2008_11_06_02_41_04.pdf
    336.4 KB · Views: 109
I have the same kit (Z23 Evolution Sport rotors and pads) on the rear brakes of my CX-9. It's driven daily, with a good mix of city and highway speeds during my commute. I've had them installed for only 3 months so far, but I've had no issues with them. I didn't even need to replace my rotors, I just like the look. I kept the OEM rotors as backups just in case.

Pics of my actual rotors, 3 months in with a lot of salt on the roads already:
View attachment 314522
View attachment 314523
No nasty rust on the rotors .

Not affiliated and not trying to advertise but simply sharing info. The only vendor that carries slotted only for 2.5T brake is r1 concepts.
I got slotted rotors from R1 Concepts on both my cars. I will sing their praises all day long. They sent me the wrong rotors for my Volvo. Wait, let me rephrase that: I ordered the wrong ones. I told them I ordered the wrong ones. My fault. Of course, I will pay for shipping back. They refused. Covered return shipping AND sent the correct ones out BEFORE GETTING THE WRONG ONES BACK. Above and beyond customer service and they earned a customer for life because of it.
SUPPORT R1 CONCEPTS!
:D

I got slotted rotors from R1 Concepts on both my cars. I will sing their praises all day long. They sent me the wrong rotors for my Volvo. Wait, let me rephrase that: I ordered the wrong ones. I told them I ordered the wrong ones. My fault. Of course, I will pay for shipping back. They refused. Covered return shipping AND sent the correct ones out BEFORE GETTING THE WRONG ONES BACK. Above and beyond customer service and they earned a customer for life because of it.
SUPPORT R1 CONCEPTS!
:D
Do they also have slotted rear or just slotted fronts for the CX-5?

Hmmm seems like they are out of everything.

Last edited:
Just wondering does it make your brakes run that much cooler or help with brake fade? If not why would you go there? My CX seems to have no braking issues that this would do anything for it.

Just wondering does it make your brakes run that much cooler or help with brake fade? If not why would you go there? My CX seems to have no braking issues that this would do anything for it.
Made for race cars. Probably not noticeable enough to justify the price for you on a daily driver. The OEM brakes work plenty fine for me. If you do alot(and I mean alot) of mountain downhill driving, then you might want to get slotted rotors. Otherwise OEM brakes or a better pair of aftermarket ceramic pads with regular solid rotors is fine. Better pads will help with brake fade.
Drilled are a waste of $$ and safety hazard unless you get super expensive top of the line.
And even alot of the guys at the track used to use slotted and not drilled.

Last edited:
Do they also have slotted rear or just slotted fronts for the CX-5?

Hmmm seems like they are out of everything.
I'm slotted all around.

As for why getting these versus normal OEM ones? It was like $5 more for slotted rotors. Why not? R1 sells normal rotors, too. ;)

And wow that sucks they are out of everything.

Back