Power steering recall (TSB:06-002/09) - Anyone have to return for an oil leak after?

J.P.

:
09 Mazda 5 GT, '88 GTX
After much delay, I finally had the power steering recall done on my 5 in May. Later, when I did my oil change at the end of July, I noticed the splash guard was covered in oil on the passenger side. Ok, sloppy mechanic, whatever... (rolleyes). I cleaned it down, and wiped the power steering fluid off the power steering lines. Today I put the car on the hoist for the November oil change, and once again the splash shield was soaked on the passenger side. In the first 2.5 years of ownership, the power steering fluid stayed about 1/2" over the full line from the day it was delivered to me. The only time the level changed was when the power steering quit, and at those times the level jumped up almost to the resevoir cap. When I checked the level after the recall was performed, again the fluid level was about 1/2-3/4" above full. In the last month, I have noticed that the level was down to about 1/2" over full, and it is now closer to the full mark. So we are not talking about a lot of fluid, and it has only made a couple of spots in the driveway. It made me wonder if anyone else has had to return to the dealership for a leak after having the recall completed, or just lucky me?(bang)

attachment.php

Attachments

• M5_PSleak.JPG
    M5_PSleak.JPG
    913.4 KB · Views: 1,067
I haven't on wife's 09, haven't noticed any drips on the garage floor, but its about time for an oil change and ATF dump as well, so will look then.

Stupid question but...by any chance can that leak be coming from your right side motor mount is it? Those mounts tend to leak when they go out.

Stupid question but...by any chance can that leak be coming from your right side motor mount is it? Those mounts tend to leak when they go out.

No, everything else is dry, plus the PS resevoir is down accordingly. The dealer can't look at it for a week, so we will see then...

Took it in last Monday. They said there was a small slit in the line - not in stock. Took it in again on Thursday, and it was replaced. I am changing the MTX fluid next weekend, so I will re-check it then. I did notice that they did not clean the pools of power steering fluid off the inside of the splash shield. It is still soaking wet, so I guess it's my job to clean that off.(unamused)

Back