Power loss at high speed while DPF regeneration process is in progress

Hello,

So I noticed (while driving on highway at around 130km/h) that if DPF regeneration is in progress there is a power loss and car wont go (or will do very slowly) over 2500 rpm. Until the speed of 120-130km/h accelerations are normal looks like the engine goes into some "limp mode" for that time. This is noticable only until regeneration is in progress.

Is this something normal? I did check the MAP sensor and was very dirty, cleaned it as I could but had the same symtpoms in the next regenration process. DPF Regenrations are done at around 245km (looking at the OBD data).

Also there are no errors reported via OBD (forescan, carscanner).

CX5 (facelift, 2015) - 2.2d SA - 150HP/Automatic/AWD

Is it doing DPF regen every 245 kilometers? Does it tell you on the trip computer that it's doing DPF regen? That's not right, it might require a longer DPF regen -- or a visit to the mechanic.

No it doesn't show it anywhere. I checked OBD data a couple of times and see that it was around 245km after the last regen and then I noticed the symptoms again. After the symptoms the "since last DPF regen" in OBD data was reset to 0km.

... this something normal? ...
Hello salesky and welcome to Mazdas247 :)

In my experience with our 2019 North American 2.2 diesel (168hp so likely equivalent to your 175hp version) I have not had any noticeable power loss or changes in driving dynamics at all during regen cycles. However, I am more typically at 105-115 kph speeds at around 2k rpm. There are times when I want to get through the regen cycle faster and use manual mode to hold a lower gear and bump rpm's up into 2500-3500 range and there are no power issues ... Acceleration is normal for me in every circumstance.

Another difference that comes to mind between our vehicles is my vehicle uses the DEF ("add-blue" I think you may call it) and yours does not? Perhaps there is some type of speed restriction on yours during the regeneration cycle. I wonder if there is any information about that in your owner's manual?

Also, how many total km's on your car's odometer?

Is it doing DPF regen every 245 kilometers? Does it tell you on the trip computer that it's doing DPF regen? That's not right, it might require a longer DPF regen -- or a visit to the mechanic.
Depending on driving conditions and environment I've seen regen cycles occurs anywhere from 240-390 km. The more "steady highway cruising" you do the longer the interval will be. I wouldn't necessarily say that 245km interval is "not right".

The car itself does not have any indication of DPF regeneration status. Mazda feels it should all happen behind the scenes and doesn't require any driver interaction. I like to know what is going on and use FORscan (same as @salesky )

Thanks @HyFlyer for your reply. My car currently has 145k km.

The strangest thing for me is that there are no errors reported. Do you recomend any PIDs to put more attention on?

Back