Post your mods and 1/4 mile times.

My wife and I are considering replacing our boring 95 Altima with a P5 - I want a family car that has some redeeming qualities - sporty, quick, etc. That said, I also don't want to get an even SLOWER car. Judging from most of the replies, that's what we'd have. Sure, I'm expecting replies such as "But the p5 HANDLES well, etc"...I already have a miata for that :) We need a car that can haul us, our two kids, and all their crap up to freeway-and-beyond speeds without too much stress. Am I correct to assume FI is simply the only way to get close to that goal? Maybe this belongs in a new topic, but have any of the FI guys regretted the endeavor? We can't afford a 'project car' - I know Flyin Miata makes good stuff; but has anyone installed the kit for long enough to feel good about it's reliability, etc?
We test drove the Mazda6s last weekend, in ATX form. We were NOT happy at all w/ the lethargic tranny - thus, we are debating whether or not it'd be better for us to get a MUCH cheaper p5 ($12k or so cheaper) then spring for the FM Turbo set up...

Anywho..thanks for indulging me :)

for the record, to be a little on-topic :)

Miata - 16.5 @ 83mph
Mods: Cone Filter, RX7 MAF, GReddy Catback, 8lb Flywheel - 102rwhp
ProbeGT - 13.19 @ 108mph
Custom turbo application, (t3super60 @ 8psi, Spearco FMIC, etc), NittoDrag Radials

Darin said:
My wife and I are considering replacing our boring 95 Altima with a P5 - I want a family car that has some redeeming qualities - sporty, quick, etc. That said, I also don't want to get an even SLOWER car. Judging from most of the replies, that's what we'd have. Sure, I'm expecting replies such as "But the p5 HANDLES well, etc"...I already have a miata for that :) We need a car that can haul us, our two kids, and all their crap up to freeway-and-beyond speeds without too much stress. Am I correct to assume FI is simply the only way to get close to that goal? Maybe this belongs in a new topic, but have any of the FI guys regretted the endeavor? We can't afford a 'project car' - I know Flyin Miata makes good stuff; but has anyone installed the kit for long enough to feel good about it's reliability, etc?
We test drove the Mazda6s last weekend, in ATX form. We were NOT happy at all w/ the lethargic tranny - thus, we are debating whether or not it'd be better for us to get a MUCH cheaper p5 ($12k or so cheaper) then spring for the FM Turbo set up...

Anywho..thanks for indulging me :)

for the record, to be a little on-topic :)

Miata - 16.5 @ 83mph
Mods: Cone Filter, RX7 MAF, GReddy Catback, 8lb Flywheel - 102rwhp
ProbeGT - 13.19 @ 108mph
Custom turbo application, (t3super60 @ 8psi, Spearco FMIC, etc), NittoDrag Radials

First off, welcome to the site! :)
Not to make you think I am a stalker or anything, but I think I remember you from "another" site, where I was Fastdrvr23 as well. (Although, I owned a 1994 Probe GT then...) It's hard to forget a Turbo'ed 93 Probe GT, as there weren't all that many.

Anyways, I think the P5 would make an excellent family hauler, and still be entertaining enough that you won't get bored with it. I've had mine for ~1 year and 19,000 miles and still love to drive it. (Although, I don't have two sports cars like yourself for the serious stuff.. ;) ) As for the Mazda 6, I've only driven a 4cyl. 5 speed and liked it ok overall. It handled well, and had "enough" power, but just didn't have the overall tossible feel of the P5. Too bad there is no Mazdaspeed P5 yet... :)

At any rate, welcome once again!

fastdrvr23 said:

First off, welcome to the site! :)
Not to make you think I am a stalker or anything, but I think I remember you from "another" site, where I was Fastdrvr23 as well. (Although, I owned a 1994 Probe GT then...) It's hard to forget a Turbo'ed 93 Probe GT, as there weren't all that many.

Anyways, I think the P5 would make an excellent family hauler, and still be entertaining enough that you won't get bored with it. I've had mine for ~1 year and 19,000 miles and still love to drive it. (Although, I don't have two sports cars like yourself for the serious stuff.. ;) ) As for the Mazda 6, I've only driven a 4cyl. 5 speed and liked it ok overall. It handled well, and had "enough" power, but just didn't have the overall tossible feel of the P5. Too bad there is no Mazdaspeed P5 yet... :)

At any rate, welcome once again!

Thanks for your reply! :) yeah, I used to be an Admin on ProbeTalk.com, so the guy you are thinking of is prolly me :) I recognize your screen name, but your name escapes me.

We are still in the "Research phase"...buy a new 6s, or a used P5 w/ Boost... :shrug: decisions eh? :) hehe

Thanks for the warm welcome!

-dp

Darin said:

Thanks for your reply! :) yeah, I used to be an Admin on ProbeTalk.com, so the guy you are thinking of is prolly me :) I recognize your screen name, but your name escapes me.

We are still in the "Research phase"...buy a new 6s, or a used P5 w/ Boost... :shrug: decisions eh? :) hehe

Thanks for the warm welcome!

-dp

Cool.

Oh yeah, My name's Will... :)

You almost convinced me into buying a miata before I bought the P5. Reading about how much fun you had driving the miata, I went a test drove a few. It finally came down to the fact that I'm 6'4" and could hardly drive with the top up. lol.

After seeing how much depreciation I've had with the new P5, I think a used one would be a great alternative. There's a guy named Terry (aka Spoolin) here on the site that makes a kit for the P5's as well. They seem to be the most powerful at present, and seem to be designed really well. One of Flyin Miata's techs (Keith@FM) checks in here pretty often too with updates, so it sounds like you're in the right place. I think WShade was the first with the BEGI / FM kit, so he's probably had it the longest out of everyone. He might be a good source on reliability. Anyways, good luck on your decision!

Quarter mile time 16.0
speed 84mph
eighth mile 10.3

MODS
H&R Lowering Springs
Big Ben Intake
Reflashed ECU with MP3 software
Iridium Spark Plugs with closer gap then stock
15 ich drag rims up front. (when at the track)

PROTEGE5
2002 Classic RED

13.8 @ 102mph, 2.1 60ft, t3 turbo at 8lbs, and liquid to air intercooler. FM o2 clamp, racing beat catback, both cats removed.

Best is 12.93@106.71. Here is a pic. Haven't run the wifes MP5 yet. Need to break it in first.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 180
Hey Rexstang, what's your mods on the WRX? Are you still running the stock turbo and fuel system? Drag radials? My next car (this fall) will be a WRX if I can't get a good deal on a TT Supra. (Damn Fast and the Furious sent the market value up about $10,000):mad:
Anyway, the wrx is a very nice car. If you don't have an exhaust manifold for it yet definitely consider the Gruppe-s header with uppipe. $500 shipped! http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subeng.htm

turbo_p5 said:
13.8 @ 102mph, 2.1 60ft, t3 turbo at 8lbs, and liquid to air intercooler. FM o2 clamp, racing beat catback, both cats removed.

Holy crap! That's the best 3rd gen protege time I've EVER seen. Liquid to air intercooler, eh? Pretty hardcore. Did you get a custom kit or an FM or Spool kit? Tell us about your setup!

Here is a link with an old mods list. I've since replaced the AEM Cold air intake with the Blitz SUS intake, and replaced the MRT Top mount intercooler with the Blitz Front mount. I've added a Blitz blow off valve and removed the MRT Boost cut defender. Also I've added Volk TE-37's 17X7.5, an OEM bodykit, hyper ground wires, and an STI grill.

http://wrxhawaii.com/cars/jayson_bluewrx/index.htm

Soon I'll be going big with the SR-40 or T3/T4 turbo. I've done all the mods myself so if you ever need help or advice with your WRX let me know. Oh btw, it was on street tires.

Last edited:
no one out there that is saying they did low to mid 16' on a stock mp3 is tellin the truth not even pro drivers could do this give me a break. i did a 16.79 stock and am an avid driver who has taken a few classes at firebird national and probably still couldnt break 16.7 just cause the mp3 is slow doesnt mean its bad i own and love mine even better now that its turboed but please dont tell the truth its just not possible in a stock mp3 look it up.

Very nice Rexstang!! I'm jealous as hell! What's your reasoning for going with the Blitz filter rather than a cold air setup?

PR_5_PRYNCE said:
ran a 16.8 at sac raceway... with only intake, exhuast.... still had my 18s and my bandpass speaker box.... really surprised i hit 16.8 ... next time will ruin with stocks and no box

PR_5_PRYNCE - LOVE THE SIG :D :D :D :D :D

Back