Ported the stock IC....

Cartridge rolls clog instantly on Al. You'll need a carbide cutter. A few different shapes are useful but the spear point style is most versatile.

p1353.jpg

I had a set of oval burrs I used for bowl porting E7TE and GT40 Ford heads but I sold them along with the DVD I used for the port work long ago. I've done some bowl work and exhaust port work on several other heads and polished a couple lower intake manifolds for SBF including a TFS, a GT40 and stock. Burrs work better than rolls I will concede, especially on aluminum.

The 80grit rolls I've used from Eastwood will hog off aluminum rather well without clogging up too badly but eventually you'll need to put on a new roll. At least that's been my experience. Granted a burr will work better but most double cut are designed for ferrous materials and will load up with aluminum too. WD40 helps prevent this but makes a mess. I had a spare head lying around and would take the burr to the iron head to force out aluminum buildup in the burr from time to time.

A true AL type burr will work much better but hog off material very quickly if you're not careful. The double cut type burrs will leave a smoother cut and not remove material as quickly which is preferred for anyone just beginning this kind of project.

The grinders grease is good for polishing work but isn't really that useful with 80 grit rolls now that I think about it. Finer grits buildup more quickly and the grinders grease helps them last longer. I actually think this is a wax and not a grease.

One key I learned is speed control with burrs. Don't run the tool wide open and take your time. Use a router speed control or some other device to dial back the speed of the grinder if it does not have one built-in. You don't need 11k rpm with the burr. It can bite and bounce around and damage things.

Happy porting!

Back