poll: Redline tranny fluid for a turbo mp3 with msp lsd

Pick a Redline tranny fluid for a turbo mp3 with an msp lsd

• Total voters

roni

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
I will be replacing one synchronizer ring tomorrow, so i will be changing the fluid again.​

I had Mobil Synthetic in until a few weeks ago. I currently am using Redline MT-90. The MT-90 was a huge improvement over the Mobil, for most of the gears. Unfortunately, the MT-90 instead of the Mobil Synthetic did not help my grinding 5th synchro at all.​

Could you guys help out? I am curious. I know there are numerous threads on tranny fluid, and have searched and printed almost all of them. I figured that I would try to find the solution between the three of these. If you have another fluid you prefer, feel free to suggest it.​

Thanks!​

I currently have the following choices in my garage:​

85.jpg
Redline Superlight Shockproof,
86.jpg
Redline Lightweight Shockproof, &​
74.jpg
Redline MT-90​

coneh8r and I both run the lightweight. Both noticed significant improvements in the smoothness of the meshing. Supposed to have great wear ratings, and was recommended by a Pegasus rep, and a redline rep recommended lightweight over the others.

I've seen a lot of good things about Syncromesh... so I wonder about that stuff though. And redline does now have some verbage on the product info for the lightweight and superlightweight that it may be too slippery for synchro's, but we didn't have any troubles and I plan to continue to use it.

I've been running Super Lightweight for over 2 years now. Smooth shifting, and good wear. I only have a bad 3rd gear now because of the 110,000 miles, and turbo power on my car now.

Last edited:
I think its the "super" part but I could be wrong..... j/k

I am running superlight shockproof as is RyanJayG per suggestion of LinuxRacr and it cured both of our synchro problems almost instantly.

Here's the info from http://www.redlineoil.com

MT-90
Popular in Nissan, Toyota and Mazda manual transmissions and transaxles as well as other selected applications, this is a 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil thats slightly heavier than MTL. Provides excellent protection of gears and synchronizers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting.

SuperLight ShockProof
A unique product with the viscosity of 75W90 gear oil but lower internal friction similar to that of an ATF. Used when temperatures are not high and when the maximum power output is required such as in stock car qualifying laps.

Used in two-stroke and four-stroke motocross transmissions (often mixed in equal parts with LightWeight ShockProof Gear Oil).

Used in 80cc and 125cc shifter kart transmissions.

Used in low-power road racing transxles like Formula Vee and low-power SCCA Production classes (dog-ring type, generally not sycro application where this product can be slippery).

LightWeight ShockProof
A unique gear oil designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles which see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions). It has excellent low-temperature flow which allows easier shifting when cold. May be used to obtain maximum power transfer in racing differentials which do not see high temperatures. Similar to a 75W140 gear oil, but with the lower internal friction of an SAE 30 motor oil.

Used in two-stroke and four-stroke motocross transmissions (often mixed in equal parts with SuperLight ShockProof Gear Oil).

Used in most road-racing differentials with moderate power and dogring racing transaxles.

gear oil tech info
shockproof tech info
mtl tech info
mtl product comparison

i use valvoline Synpower Gear Oil (Synthetic)...it is pretty good and affordable (at most auto parts stores)

I have MT-90 & I remember reading that someone asked the company which one to use & that's what they said (this was of course for the MSP though).

Reasons for using MT-90:
1. It's what Red Line recommends for the Protege, it's an SAE 75W-90 thats designed for synchro transmissions.
2. SuperLight Shockproof-not for high temperatures and too slippery for synchros.
3. Lightweight Shockproof-similar to an SAE 75W-140 oil (not the recommended SAE 75W-90 for the Protege), not recommended for most synchro type transmissions.

Case closed.

Black Majik MSP said:
I have MT-90 & I remember reading that someone asked the company which one to use & that's what they said (this was of course for the MSP though).
Same tranny minus the LSD, so that should stand.... :)

goldstar said:
Reasons for using MT-90:
1. It's what Red Line recommends for the Protege, it's an SAE 75W-90 thats designed for synchro transmissions.
2. SuperLight Shockproof-not for high temperatures and too slippery for synchros.
3. Lightweight Shockproof-similar to an SAE 75W-140 oil (not the recommended SAE 75W-90 for the Protege), not recommended for most synchro type transmissions.

Case closed.
lightweight has a lower friction coefficient so that it behaves different, and the weight is somewhat irrelevant from my understanding. You can use the heavyweight in the tranny and be fine. It's largely for protection against shock loading and damage. They recommend it for racing applications and so forth. I have no problems at all as far as gear meshing... and I didn't see any adverse effects with the brass synchro's either when I had the tranny apart.

I'm particularily curious to see what roni thinks if she uses the lightweight now after using th MT-90 and whether or not she thinks it is better. I am curious about the synchromesh fluids, and may consider doing that on my next switch.

TurfBurn said:
Same tranny minus the LSD, so that should stand.... :)
Roni has a turbo MP3...don't they have an LSD too (can't believe I can't remember this)? Either way, her mods list an MSP LSD, so she has one...that means the only difference is that she has a different turbo.

Last edited:
the MP3 doesn't come with an LSD, but yes, I believe roni put in an LSD at some point... as did I.

the MP3 doesn't come with an LSD, but yes, I believe roni put in an LSD at some point... as did I. So same tranny as MSP then having and an LSD and same everything else for the most part.

another thing i saw in the text posted about from the company is some use an eual mix of the lightweight and superlight, wonder if that helps you get a little of the benefits of both and not be bad for our trannies?

i have mt-90 and it made a big diffrence. i chose mt-90 cuz redline recommends it and also we dont have a racing tranny to use racing tranny oil.

Back