Picked up my new 22 GT

Congrats on your new ride! I also live in Montreal so I know what you mean...You will also enjoy the front wipers deicer which come on with the rear defroster and side mirrors heaters 🥶 Makes my life easier since my CX-5 stays outside.
Mine stays outside for the time being too! Especially hard with all the snow removal that's going on, and I still don't have a parking sticker. Front wiper deicer has been helping me a lot, but to me the biggest plus is the remote starter through the app. I live in an apartment building and I start the car as I leave home. Car's warm by the time I reach the car. Good for me and good for the engine.
Congrats! Definitely take off the dealer sticker. It sounds like you didn’t have a really positive experience with them, so why advertise for them? Also switch out their license plate frame.

When I had my Honda Accord, I took off the dealer frame but every time I brought the car in for service, they’d put another one on.
Will definitely remove the dealer sticker off the trunk. Even if I had an amazingly positive experience with them, I wouldn't like to have a dealer sticker on the car itself. I think I am okay with the license plate holder for the time being, but if I find another holder that I like, I'll definitely switch.
Congrats on the new 22.

The weighted steering wheel helps give you more precise steering at freeway speeds and during corning. Having too light a steering wheel weight and it becomes jittery and artificial.
Totally agreed. I didn't mean it as a bad thing. Before the chip shortage (that skyrocketed used car prices) I had my eye on a 2016 5 series. Ultimately didn't happen because the insurance cost more than financing, but it had a very similar steering feeling.
I drive on a freeway to go to work (and back) and I really like the way it handles.
That's a good point. When I bought the 68 Corvette I was living in Connecticut, so I quickly realized that having that as my only vehicle was not going to "cut it" when it snowed. So I bought a 1968 Mercury Cougar for $300. Maybe you'll have a used MX5 and your CX5 someday. You can call them the "best of both worlds".
Many of us have both the MX-5 and a CX-5... as a matter of fact owning 4 Miatas over the course of 25 years is what convinced me to buy the CX-5. In the mountainous area of Northern California the CX performs remarkably well if you're willing to push it. We use it for our shopping and road trips and keep the Miata for spirited fun runs and leisurely top-down cruising. I can't think of a better pair unless you're willing to step up to the Porsches.
I fully agree. I'll start looking when used car prices go down, but either way the CX-5 makes me quite happy!

Quick 2 week, 1100km update (in case someone who's looking for a CX-5 is reading)
  • I like the engine, but I also understand why some people prefer the turbo. Base engine truly behaves like a NA, and it's most noticeable in second gear, low RPMs. There is not much power under 2000RPM, and the car (for good reason) won't shift down from second to first just to give you a little bit of boost. It's very snappy after that though. Has more than enough power merging/cruising on the highway.
  • For a compact SUV the transmission has an excellent manual mode. Up/downshifts are almost instant, and you push the lever forward to shift down, which is the correct orientation. I don't have paddle shifters, but I also don't mind using the lever. However, I accidentally shifted from D to N... twice. Once I thought I was in manual mode and once it was a true accident. Otherwise, the transmission is quite smooth. Adding a seventh gear would be a nice extra (for the second gear situation I mentioned, also maybe for lowering the RPMs at ~120kmh), but it's not a huge deal.
  • Sport mode is exactly what you expect, low gear, high RPMs, slightly better accelerator response. I like it. Off-Road mode also keeps the gear low and RPMs high, and the all-wheel-drive system works much better in this mode. I used it a couple of times to get out of/in a parking spot and while driving on fully snow-covered streets.
  • Noise. I hear trim noises coming from somewhere near the passenger seat, but roads here are terrible and I'm sure the cold doesn't help either. Definitely something I am going to mention when I bring the car for maintenance. There is very little engine/wind noise until ~120kmh. I hear some road noise but it could be from the tires.
  • Ride. I find the seats to be really comfortable. I have heard some negative comments about the seats being too narrow, and I am not a skinny guy, but I find the seats to be comfortable. It's very easy to find the optimal seating position. The ride is on the firmer side, but the car feels quite rigid. Definitely feels more like a driver's car compared to other SUVs in its segment.
  • Pedals: Accelerator is mounted to the floor and I can easily modulate it. The brake pedal actuates quite high up, but beyond that point, it's not linear. (or it's too linear) I found myself pressing the brake pedal more than I thought I needed a couple of times in order to come to a complete stop.
  • Headlights/Taillights etc. : The headlights are great, I don't know how else to explain them. Adaptive headlights definitely work, I can see them in action when I am taking a corner or going through a curvy road. LED taillights look great, and I am a huge fan of LED turn signals. Although the front turn signals are a little bit small.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control: Works pretty well and brings the car to a complete stop. Once the lead car is moving, you press RES once and the car starts accelerating on its own. Quite useful. Although Toyotas give you a small boost (if you're driving under the set cruise control limit) if you turn your left blinkers on which the CX-5 doesn't do.
  • Interesting things/annoyances that I experienced:
    • The trunk won't open from the inside unless the doors are unlocked -- even when the car is in Park, handbrake on and the engine is running.
    • GPS "Send to car" feature only works if the car is on, which is understandable.
    • It is hard to switch from CarPlay to the Infotainment home screen.
    • Side mirrors don't move down when you put the car in reverse -- this is a blessing and a curse. They're also not memory.
    • Remote Engine Start works well through the app, but it kills the engine once you open the door. Not a huge deal to restart the engine, and I know it's for security reasons, but if I unlock the door by pressing the button on the handle, it means I have the key on me and that I can start the engine. So I don't think it's needed to kill the engine in that case.
    • When I turn on Remote Engine Start, it remembers the last AC settings. It won't turn on front wipers which is fantastic in case the windshield is icy; so I don't have to worry about turning them off when I use Remote Start. BUT it still runs the rear wiper. Either something they forgot about, or it only turns them off if rain-sensing wipers are on.
    • The car doesn't automatically pull the handbrake when I put the car in Park/turn it off. Similarly, it only releases the handbrake once I press the accelerator and NOT when I put the car in Drive.
    • Fuel cap is quite hard to put on because of the plastic thingy that hooks it up to the fuel door.
    • Rain-sensing wipers have a mind of their own. Sometimes they work great, but sometimes they are either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. I've only had the chance to try them in snow, hopefully they will work better in rain. Or they will just get better over time.
    • Auto-dimming rearview mirror: I don't know why this isn't a more popular feature in cars. It's literally a life saver. I don't have the frameless one, but I still like mine.

Great feedback! I thought I read somewhere that switching between CarPlay/AA and the stock infotainment was as easy as long-pressing the Home button on the console, or something like that. Might be worth a try?

If you press the auto hold after you started the engine, the handbrake (EPB) will be on when you turn off the engine. At least, that's how it works on mine. The auto hold is very useful in Montreal traffic!

If you're on carplay and want to get to the cars stock system, you just press the (physical) home button, then the back button. Just two clicks. Well, unless they changed it for 2022.

Great feedback! I thought I read somewhere that switching between CarPlay/AA and the stock infotainment was as easy as long-pressing the Home button on the console, or something like that. Might be worth a try?

If you're on carplay and want to get to the cars stock system, you just press the (physical) home button, then the back button. Just two clicks. Well, unless they changed it for 2022.
I tried them both, and unless the Wireless CarPlay adapter is interfering, it doesn’t work.

Quick 2 week, 1100km update (in case someone who's looking for a CX-5 is reading)
  • I like the engine, but I also understand why some people prefer the turbo. Base engine truly behaves like a NA, and it's most noticeable in second gear, low RPMs. There is not much power under 2000RPM, and the car (for good reason) won't shift down from second to first just to give you a little bit of boost. It's very snappy after that though. Has more than enough power merging/cruising on the highway.
  • For a compact SUV the transmission has an excellent manual mode. Up/downshifts are almost instant, and you push the lever forward to shift down, which is the correct orientation. I don't have paddle shifters, but I also don't mind using the lever. However, I accidentally shifted from D to N... twice. Once I thought I was in manual mode and once it was a true accident. Otherwise, the transmission is quite smooth. Adding a seventh gear would be a nice extra (for the second gear situation I mentioned, also maybe for lowering the RPMs at ~120kmh), but it's not a huge deal.

I felt the same way about my '17 GT Premium, but the longer I drove it, the less satisfied I was with the car's gear selection when left to its own devices, and I didn't like the extra steps of moving the shift lever over just to force a gear change.

So I retrofitted the paddle shifters. Now, I can't say for certain that the '22 is still identical in wiring, but if it is, it's something that is not too difficult to do for right around $200. If your 3rd and 4th VIN values are "KF" then it should be the same.

Here is the thread where I outline the parts needed and the steps involved.

I felt the same way about my '17 GT Premium, but the longer I drove it, the less satisfied I was with the car's gear selection when left to its own devices, and I didn't like the extra steps of moving the shift lever over just to force a gear change.

So I retrofitted the paddle shifters. Now, I can't say for certain that the '22 is still identical in wiring, but if it is, it's something that is not too difficult to do for right around $200. If your 3rd and 4th VIN values are "KF" then it should be the same.

Here is the thread where I outline the parts needed and the steps involved.
I did exactly the same thing thanks to that thread, and I absolutely love it with the paddle shifter.

I’m staying at a B&B this weekend, and the only other couple that stays here also has a CX-5 in Soul Red. What are the odds?

Attachments

• 0C7B4B3A-57AC-46AD-BD3A-55DA5D8D92F3.jpeg
    0C7B4B3A-57AC-46AD-BD3A-55DA5D8D92F3.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 141
10000km update:
  • Got the oil changed at 8300 kilometers. I had two free oil changes so I didn't end up paying anything; but it would have cost me $105. They used synthetic oil (and they also replaced the oil filter).
  • There is still some noise coming from the passenger side B-pillar; it is getting quieter though. I guess the belt buckle is making the noise, as when I play with it, the noise tends to disappear. Dealer "couldn't replicate the issue."
  • Biggest modification I made is the window tints. Pics can be seen here and here. (70% Windshield, 50% Sunroof, 35% Front Windows, 50% Rear Windows -- as they are already privacy glass) Makes a huge difference during the day and absolutely no difference at night.
    • Windshield tint caused a small anomaly that lasted one day. Let the tint place know, they said that it happens rarely, and that if it doesn't go away within a couple of days I should let them know. I don't see any anomalies now.
    • IMG 4696
    • There was a scratch on driver side window, and the installation wasn't right for the passenger side. Both were replaced under warranty, they also ended up tinting the rear side windows and the rear window. Make sure you tell the tint shop to fully tint your windows.
    • You'll most probably get your windows tinted only once. So in my opinion it's crucial to choose the right tint and the right installer. I am happy with the tints I chose (XPEL Prime XR) and the installer is alright.
    • Windshield tint does not affect the HUD or any of the sensors.
    • If you have a dashcam installed on your windshield, you have to take it off before tinting the windshield and you can't put it on for a couple of weeks.
  • 10000km real fuel consumption is 10.55L/100km (22.29mpg). 70% city, 30% highway. I have an Excel sheet to track my fuel consumption, as the trip computer shows a lower fuel consumption value. (10.1L/100km)
    • It seems like it miscalculates the fuel consumption in stop-and-go traffic whereas it's spot-on on the highway.
    • Remaining range and the fuel gauge are set for a 50 litre tank whereas the tank is 58 litres. When you have 0km of range, the tank only takes 50 litres.
  • I have winter tires on 17" steel rims (Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice And Snow 3), and my summer tires on stock 19"s (Toyo A36).
    • I am really happy with my winter tires (took them off in May) but all winter tires are good during their first winter.
    • Toyo A36s are much better than I thought they would be. I have heard some horror stories here on Mazdas247, but they are really grippy and comfortable. I know they don't last long, but still.
      • Unsure about their efficiency though. I thought summer tires would decrease the fuel consumption, but overall my fuel consumption is slightly higher with summer tires than it is with winters.
  • I really don't like the included wireless charger. Although it charges my phone quite fast, it also overheats fairly quickly and stops charging. I bought a Magsafe Wireless Charger that hooks onto the AC vent. It charges my phone quickly and cools it down -- at least in summer. I have gone on a couple of road trips since I bought it and had no issues with the charger.
  • Speaking of AC, even when it's 35 degrees outside and the car is sitting outside, I have had no issues cooling down the car. Ventilated seats aren't as good as the AC-cooled seats on a Ford Fusion (for example) but they still get the job done. Definitely better than nothing.
  • I think I said this before, but I love the adaptive LED headlights. I've always thought adaptive headlights were a gimmick, but my CX-5 proved me wrong.
  • Piano black surfaces scratch really easily. I want to get one of those wooden-looking piano black covers, but I have yet to find a kit that includes the cutout for door lock/unlock buttons on the passenger side.

Hopefully within the next two weeks I am going to hardwire my dashcam. That's the only thing I have left to do.
Overall I am super happy with my CX-5.

Attachments

• IMG_4696.MOV
    21.8 MB
Back