PHEV Hybrid CX-90: Should I be worried about very hot weather?

This is probably a really dumb question, but this is my first plug-in hybrid. I'm going to Palm Springs soon where it will be very hot. I won't have covered parking and I probably won't charge the car. Is there anything I should be aware of? I'll be there for a couple of days. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

Not a problem. You can either find a hotel or other charger or you can just drive it like a normal hybrid. The car converts to hybrid mode when EV miles expire.

Not a problem. You can either find a hotel or other charger or you can just drive it like a normal hybrid. The car converts to hybrid mode when EV miles expire.
Thank you. What about the heat? It's supposed to be very hot outside. How will that impact my car? Anything I should be aware of?

No issues at all with the heat. Your car is a like a regular car, not an electric car.

The only thing heat could do is reduce your electric only range because it needs to run the air conditioner. But that is not really a huge deal since you can drive on gas instead.

No issues at all with the heat. Your car is a like a regular car, not an electric car.

The only thing heat could do is reduce your electric only range because it needs to run the air conditioner. But that is not really a huge deal since you can drive on gas instead.
That's great. I was worried about that. My first plug in hybrid.

Cold weather affects the PHEV battery and range more than hot weather, in my experience so far

These Li-Ion batteries on the market contain liquid electrolyte.
In cold weather, the mobility (frozen electrolyte) suffers.
Range goes down.

That is why many companies are developing solid-state batteries.
Semi solid-state batteries came out recently ...
not sure about how they handle cold weather yet.
They contain gel electrolyte.

Well, yes but the battery is inside the car on these under the driver seat. So it is protected particularly if you park in a garage and not parked outside. I don’t see much difference in winter versus summer because I live in southern Virginia which has 50-60 degree temps in winter.

50-60 F should be fine.
A couple years back, many Teslas in Sierra mountains were stranded in snow.
It took 45 mins to start charging ... yes, it took that long to warm up battery first.

Back