Phen's 1974 BMW Bavaria (3.0S)

Huh... I don't know if I've ever taken any... or at least many. I will for sure get on that. If I already have some, I'll post them up.

I never posted these from before. A proper shoot would do it some justice, instead of these hack shots, but here they are!

IMG_9108.jpg

IMG_9110.jpg

IMG_9111.jpg

I need to put all of the interior back together. I took a bunch of it apart when I started developing electrical gremlins. But yeah man, I'm game for a shoot sometime.

Still on the fence. MSM would be a s*** ton cheaper to drive. This has more room and is more comfortable for an 8 hour drive. I do trust the MSM more for a long trip, but at the same time, what fun is a road trip without a few potential wrenches that can be thrown into the mix.

I know that there are people who want to see the Bav. But... I wouldn't mind a fun parade lap with the new and improved MSM...

Been driving it quite a bit as of late. Writing a plan for what I'm going to do at the end of winter when it comes out of hibernation. So far I have the following:

- Remove driveshaft, replace center bearing and giubo (rubber flex disc)
- Replace CV shafts (just happen to have two lightly used ones at the house)
- Find and fix exhaust leak
- The steering has some play in it. Inspect tie rods, inspect steering coupler. Replace if needed, adjust steering box

Time for an update.

I haven't done any of these yet because I'm out in Beijing right now, but I've been reading up a bit and getting more ideas for things to do to the car. Most of what I have planned is visual. Nothing crazy, just re-painting pieces or re-polishing them, and stuff like that. Hopefully I can attack the surface rust at some point.

I now have an exhaust leak also. Sounds like it's at one of the down pipes, and either burned out a gasket or has a hole in the pipe. Give the fact that it's a Southern car, I'm leaning toward the gasket.

Drove it on Saturday to a Mazda dinner. Running well and driving somewhat well. Weather is getting a bit nicer, so it's approaching the time to start tearing into it.

Sure, I can give an update.

Since last time I posted in here, I haven't really done much other than drive it. I've turned over 200k miles on her, so I was excited about that.

Issues found that need to be fixed:
*Oil leak. All signs point to rear main seal. Clutch is slipping a little lately, leading me toward that thought. Rear main will involve pulling the transmission, so new clutch and flywheel are in order.
*All parts needed for driveshaft rebuild are in my possession. This will be done at the same time as the rear main replacement
*Rear CV Shafts still have not been replaced. Will be done at the same time as the above work
*Rear brakes seem to be hanging up again. Calipers will likely be replaced after I inspect them. If there is no visible damage, I may just rebuild them.
*Downpipes are leaking on the exhaust. I tried to butt the flanges up tighter, but it didn't fix it 100%. I don't know if there were gaskets there originally or not. If yes, then they burned away because I don't have any now.
*Getting some toe wear on the front tires. Going to get an alignment once the weather changes, as well as adjust the steering box ever so slightly.

Over all the upcoming work isn't that bad. More time consuming than difficult.

Ideally, I would like to do the following:

*Late E12 exhaust manifolds and downpipes. - Better flow than most aftermarket headers
*Debating on E12 front brake conversion for vented front rotors
*New exhaust including the manifolds
*Swap to either dual Zenith carbs or triple Webers (craziness)

It's in the garage, ready to be lifted on jack stands. Once I do, I'm going to try to caputre as much of the work as possible in photos. The old girl really does have some interesting engineering on her.

Sure, I can give an update.

Since last time I posted in here, I haven't really done much other than drive it. I've turned over 200k miles on her, so I was excited about that.

Issues found that need to be fixed:
*Oil leak. All signs point to rear main seal. Clutch is slipping a little lately, leading me toward that thought. Rear main will involve pulling the transmission, so new clutch and flywheel are in order.
*All parts needed for driveshaft rebuild are in my possession. This will be done at the same time as the rear main replacement
*Rear CV Shafts still have not been replaced. Will be done at the same time as the above work
*Rear brakes seem to be hanging up again. Calipers will likely be replaced after I inspect them. If there is no visible damage, I may just rebuild them.
*Downpipes are leaking on the exhaust. I tried to butt the flanges up tighter, but it didn't fix it 100%. I don't know if there were gaskets there originally or not. If yes, then they burned away because I don't have any now.
*Getting some toe wear on the front tires. Going to get an alignment once the weather changes, as well as adjust the steering box ever so slightly.

Over all the upcoming work isn't that bad. More time consuming than difficult.

Ideally, I would like to do the following:

*Late E12 exhaust manifolds and downpipes. - Better flow than most aftermarket headers
*Debating on E12 front brake conversion for vented front rotors
*New exhaust including the manifolds
*Swap to either dual Zenith carbs or triple Webers (craziness)

It's in the garage, ready to be lifted on jack stands. Once I do, I'm going to try to caputre as much of the work as possible in photos. The old girl really does have some interesting engineering on her.

im down to make a trip out to help, ill take payment in beer LOL

Well, Sho stopped over yesterday and gave me a hand with a few things that most certainly need a 2nd person to do little stuff. Exhaust is off. One piece all the way back from the down pipes. A little on the heavy and awkward side. After the exhaust came the driveshaft. Sho sat in the drivers seat and pulled the ebrake up so I could loosen a bolt, then back down so I can rotate... rinse and repeat. Boring job for him, but a life saver for me so that I didn't have to keep climbing out from under the car.

I took some pics and I'll pop them up here later.

I did do something that every immature car nut does. No exhaust? **** it, let's start it up.

Back